Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have to do an essay on twelfth night in relation to Elizabethan ideals on love. Does anyone have any ideas as to what was considered common Elizabethan opinions about love?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadia Katalina)
    Hi,
    I have to do an essay on twelfth night in relation to Elizabethan ideals on love. Does anyone have any ideas as to what was considered common Elizabethan opinions about love?
    You could look at links between love and madness/lunacy. How love is a creation of the mind and it's object can therefore be interchangeable (like the quote in A Midsummer Night's Dream, 'Love looks not with the eyes but with the mind/ Therefore is wing'd Cupid painted blind' - similar themes are there in this play. Also love and food/gluttony - 'If music be the food of love play on. Give me excess of it that surfeiting the appetite might sicken and so die'. And lose as a disease - as per same quote and lots of others... The play is at the same time mocking and indulgent - the end being happy marriages as in many of Shakespeare's plays... Most of these are Elizabethan tropes that Shakespeare is playing with.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.