Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    I dont get it :confused: (your changing of my post, that is).
    Maybe he is trying to say you don't get it because you're Catholic right? Catholics tend to have more traditional, less evangelical services and that makes you sick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Maybe he is trying to say you don't get it because you're Catholic right? Catholics tend to have more traditional, less evangelical services and that makes you sick?
    I was born a Roman Catholic but refused to be confirmed. I disliked it immensely.

ReputationRep:
    I don't post for religious debates anymore.

No, Antonia and I have no problem with each other.

Unfortunately, a lot of Catholics in the UK behave more like Protestants. Catholics do exactly what is written in the Catechism and doctrine/dogma - nothing taken away to apease society or ecumenists.

Not everyone likes Catholics, which is fine. Hundreds of years of stereotyping and anti-Catholic attitudes in the world and you get used to it.

Just my opinion, but "evangelical services" make me sick. They are watered down, pithy self-worship where people end up gathering to affirm their (usually very wrong) beliefs and practices.

I say no more on the matter - I have posted enough in this vein in D&D.

ReputationRep:
    I dont get it (your changing of my post, that is).
    Edit: I am not a Catholic.
    So it was relavent to my ditto I simply like the smiley and wanted to use it :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazr)
    The lord jesus himself He love all of use ya know.
    If he loves us unconditionally why bother being good? I'll live my life as an atheist, nihilistic prick and if when I die it turns out you lot were right, I get to go to heaven right next to you anyway because Jesus died for my sins.

ReputationRep:
    I was born a Roman Catholic but refused to be confirmed. I disliked it immensely.
    Yeah I was the same, although I ended up getting confirmed when I was 13, mainly to placate my mum.

ReputationRep:
    Can i get this thread title on a t shirt?

Maybe then people will let me have my space on the tube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    They are watered down, pithy self-worship where people end up gathering to affirm their (usually very wrong) beliefs and practices.
    what do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was the same, although I ended up getting confirmed when I was 13, mainly to placate my mum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecam)
    Not God then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Nebula)
    Jesus us going to have a relationship with the back of my hand if he doesn't start teaching his sheep to be quiet.
    Hahahahaha. Gem of a post.

ReputationRep:
    Me too. :jebus: We play COD together all the time. :pcguru:

ReputationRep:
    same :/ except I was nine. even more naive, then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VanillaCat)
    same :/ except I was nine. even more naive, then.
    :console: It doesn't matter anyway, the ritual might as well have been pushing me into the Thames or throwing cake at cars for all the difference it makes.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    thank you for a response that isn't using the following arguments 'you treat me like I'm stupid, you're preaching at me, you're trying to convert' as a response or point of debate. Its much more interesting to discuss and debate when people are willing to a) listen and b) consider that the opposition may have some validity in what they are saying.

I think you make a valid point with your first question, mostly because it requires thought to answer :p: I think that if there was evidence for the existence of intergalactic dragonflys (though not proof) or what could be considered evidence by a proportion of a population. Then all those that had seen the evidence and then made a decision regarding definitive yes-or-no of the existence of intergalactic dragonflys then both decisions would be made on faith, however the extent of the faith required would depend on numerous factors... dya kinda get what I mean? I'm dreadful with words and sentence structure etc so I apologise if my meaning is unclear!

I agree that there is no scientific proof of Gods existence or non existence but I believe there is definitely evidence pointing to some kind of divine being at least, and from what I believe I've experienced of God he is more real to me than Yoda or the Matrix - though if I met Yoda or escaped from the Matrix I'm sure I'd see things differently :p:

Of course - If you consider the probability of the first amino acids/carbohydrates/fatty acids just coming into existence its highly improbable, if you consider the development of actual unicellular organisms its highly improbable, the probability of it just happening by itself is small so another explanation would be creation.

Also, are you aware of the definition of species? evolution explains how each species changed in characteristics, but does not entirely explain the inability to interbreed. variability within species (a good example is dogs) is massive, but you still can't breed a dog with a cat and produce viable offspring - so where did all the different species come from? (I can't explain it very well as I'm just trying to recall arguments I heard from someone else and thought wow thats interesting - before that I just didn't care, I just didn't consider how we got here to be particularly interesting)

And it would be very illogical to not agree with evolution there is a lot of scientific evidence of it on a small scale

i.e evolution with a small 'e' rather than evolution with a big 'E'

Please tell me if I've cocked up in my explanation at all - I'm making a claim in God, not a claim that I'm 100% correct in what I'm trying to explain/argue
    I'm not a biologist, so forgive me if I make mistakes, but I'll have a go at answering anyway. We haven't experienced macroevolution (evolution that results in divergent species), and from this some religious people have concluded that there must be a creator God. However, this argument doesn't stand, because (1) macroevolution takes place over such a long period of time that we couldn't experience it, and (2) just because we don't have a scientific explanation for something, that doesn't mean we can say it was God. Science is always progressing, and it's entirely possible that there is a scientific explanation that just hasn't been developed yet. The second point also applies to questions regarding the origins of life.

That said, I'd agree that the example of intergalactic dragonflies is not comparable to God. There is absolutely no reason to believe that there are intergalactic dragonflies - nobody has ever claimed to see one, nobody claims to experience them in any way, nobody believes in them, and it is very unlikely that that they would exist. The same things cannot be said of God. Plenty of people have claimed to see him (in the form of Jesus, anyway), plenty of people have claimed to experience him in some form or another, plenty of people believe in him, and it is neither likely nor unlikely that God exists (to speak of the probability of something existing outside of space and time would be meaningless). None of that indicates that God does exist, but it is undeniable that there is evidence for God's existence - the question is whether or not someone accepts it or not, as it is not scientifically verifiable (another form of evidence that is scientifically unverifiable might be evidence that my parents love me - I can give anecdotal evidence, but it's not provable). Atheism is therefore an entirely logical position to hold, but it is a position - and, in this context, a belief - nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Hahahahaha. Gem of a post.
    Shame I ruined it by putting *us instead of *is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Nebula)
    Shame I ruined it by putting *us instead of *is.
    I'm not a spelling nazi, you're alright.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StandingOnAir)
    We haven't experienced macroevolution (evolution that results in divergent species), and from this some religious people have concluded that there must be a creator God.
    Well, 30 to 50% of all now plant species are known to come about by polyploidy. And because the Drosophila (fruit fly) has such a short life cycle their have been many instances of speciation which have been documented.

Don't forget, microevolution is just macroevolution, just over a long period of time, relative to the species' life and reproduction cycles.

ReputationRep:
    r u gonna bang doe

(Original post by Yazr)
    Im not religeous, religion is dead to me.. im a non legalistic Christian who has a growing relationship with Jesus and has saw him do amazing things in my life and with others. The Church I go to sings Hillsongs like rock worship http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLxPByRZjg Its AWESOME. Our church is radical and has over 100 youth members. Its update and amazing. Does anyone eles share this ? I Just get this idea that people think Christians are middle class wolly wearing jumper boring people.
    Ummmm no! :woo:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.