Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    lol awesome, relationships with fictional characters are great. I hope this "jesus" is the one for you... well, obviously since you dictate what he is or isnt as theres no evidence to the contrary of what you say, he will be. or not, if you so decide.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbowbex)
    You have just written a very long post explaining why you don't want people to talk about their faith in front of you... you aren't being preached at in the slightest!! You've CHOSEN to read this thread and get grumpy about its content. Ofc I wouldn't expect anyone on TSR to be unaware of Christianity.. that would be fairly damn stupid on my account.

The OP considers her church to be radical, just because it isn't the typical idea of what a church is, rather than the fact it is actually radical.

I never claimed you were unhappy deep down, you are twisting my words and subjecting them to your own purpose! I asked why you didn't like to have your beliefs challenged! that said, someone saying I believe this isn't a challenge at all... have I spoken to you like you are an idiot, or are you going to blindly continue like I have even though it is obvious to everyone elses eyes that I have not. Have I treated you like you need to be converted? Does expressing my opinion mean I am automatically talking to you like you are stupid? No of course it does not, it simply means I am expressing my opinion!

You are not aware of what people believe in unless they tell you - unless you can read minds now? or are you just one of those people that makes assumptions about others? and passes judgement on them before you even know them?

No one has spoken to you like you are stupid, No one is preaching at you.

Be assured that if you need any help figuring things out - I'm sure if you are every bit as intelligent as you appear you won't, you are welcome to PM me and ask me about my beliefs
    Oh dear lord, if you want to be up 'til the early hours of the afternoon, I seriously suggest you do not reply to his response :moon:.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    The happy clappy bashing bit wasn't directed at you, don't worry. And I tend to need you in just about every remotely religion-related thread on TSR, which always culminate in about one or two Christians fending off hordes of pissed of atheists.

And yes, I'm a Christian. :p:
    I do find it interesting that so many atheists scream and yell and stomp and moan about being preached at, whilst simultaneously telling everyone else they are delusional.

The thing that suprised me most was when I said to an atheist friend of mine that they were also a person of faith.

They promptly told me I was talking utter ********, yet if God's existence can be neither proved nor disproved, surely it takes faith to believe either way?

He then told me that God's non-existence was fact. I'll ask him for proof next time :P

(even though we have creation on our side... and soon as you throw back the fact that Evolution =/= Lack of God, and that you actually feel it would be foolish to not believe in evolution... then things get interesting)
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by reems23)
    Oh dear lord, if you want to be up 'til the early hours of the afternoon, I seriously suggest you do not reply to his response :moon:.
    Ha, I have to be up at 9. Though I'm thinking a sick day would be nice :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    A society can't function without labels, silly. To categorize, understand and to make sense of is innate to human characteristic.
    I'm not talking about the practical side of it. Some people take it too far, they remain unhappy unless they've managed to nicely slot themselves into a particular category. It's just not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Or maybe the child rape, the hypocrisy, the chauvanistic patriarchy, the millions who have died of aids in Africa, the demand that you submit yourself to slavery, and the will of an immortal, genocidal dictator etc..etc.. :rolleyes: What an incredible faith.
    I find it interesting that you're saying these things, yet I've also seen you defend Islam like it was your own mother.

Anyway. Child rape? That's not a Christian doctrine. Hypocrisy? All people have elements of hypocrisy. Chauvanistic patriarchy? Sounds like society around the world until about 40 years ago. Submitting yourself to slavery? No idea what that means. Millions of people who died of AIDS in Africa? Not sure what that has to do with Christianity, but I know Christianity preaches against having premarital sex, which would effectively stop the spread of AIDS if everyone followed it. Submitting yourself to an immortal dictator... well why would the all-powerful creator of the universe make his following a democracy? And genocidal! You'll have to fill me in on that one. Probably referring to the Canaanites? They were ethnically identical to the Israelites, so that's not genocide, and all evidence historical and archaeological suggests that some elements of the conquest story were exaggerated just a tad.

But basically, you push aside all the true teachings of Christianity so you can pick at other aspects which you don't fully understand.

It's quite obvious what my point is. If you are going to be religious in the UK odds are you will be a christian.
    Yes, but if you're going to live in the UK odds are you aren't. I see your point now, but that wasn't what you said.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Well quite, and now I've freely clicked it, I have the right to freely destroy the OP for being a brainwashed proselytizer who's freely filling the forum up with crap. Gosh, I do love freedom.

Ah yes, the age old fundamentalist martyrdom complex....

If you'd read my post you'd have noticed I poured similar scorn on the I-Soc "brothers". Your bad ""

Here's an idea: if you're up for a decent debate, then let's debate (please note the signature, I am not averse to a good discussion).But don't frigging preach AT me, it's rude and belittling.
    I would like you to show me clearly in one post how a christian coming onto a public forum wanting to discuss her faith is wrong.

Do not turn this into a 'does god even exist thread' ( as i see your trying to stray to this )because thats not what im asking.

As you said you freely clicked it, so you were not forced into anything. And if you want to 'destroy' the OP, do as you wish. But from that first line it would suggest that you feel that she shouldn't talk about her faith in this forum just because YOU dont like it, fair enough, but since your a self acclaimed debater i would like to see you argue, objectively off course, why she shouldn't be allowed to discuss her faith.

If you can, try not to ask me any of other questions, you shouldnt need to anyways, since i need to start working soon.

ReputationRep:
    I do find it interesting that so many atheists scream and yell and stomp and moan about being preached at, whilst simultaneously telling everyone else they are delusional.

The thing that suprised me most was when I said to an atheist friend of mine that they were also a person of faith.

They promptly told me I was talking utter ********, yet if God's existence can be neither proved nor disproved, surely it takes faith to believe either way?

He then told me that God's non-existence was fact. I'll ask him for proof next time :P
    Watch carefully, you may see some of that unfold right now!

(even though we have creation on our side... and soon as you throw back the fact that Evolution =/= Lack of God, and that you actually feel it would be foolish to not believe in evolution... then things get interesting)
    I concur. I'm assuming you have theistic evolutionary beliefs then?

ReputationRep:
    You have just written a very long post explaining why you don't want people to talk about their faith in front of you... you aren't being preached at in the slightest!!
    Did you read the OP?
    Do you know the definition of "proselytizing"?
    Did the OP contain any original material or anything of interest?
    Was the OP essentially an advertisment for Christianity?

You've CHOSEN to read this thread and get grumpy about its content. Ofc I wouldn't expect anyone on TSR to be unaware of Christianity.. that would be fairly damn stupid on my account.
    So why go on about it? Why can't you give me a decent debate instead of a moronic song and post which simpy exists to tell me "hey, we can be cool too!". The OP is implicitly implying that I believe Christians are a) boring b) uncool. Hence she's seeking to change my point of view so that I might convert.

As for the joys of freedom:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1&postcount=99

The OP considers her church to be radical, just because it isn't the typical idea of what a church is, rather than the fact it is actually radical.
    I know, because typical churches don't have people being posessed and speaking in tongues :rolleyes:

I never claimed you were unhappy deep down, you are twisting my words and subjecting them to your own purpose! I asked why you didn't like to have your beliefs challenged!
    Lol, so you deny what I say, then you contradict yourself? :rofl:

For the record, patronising the opponent is the worst form of debate and simply shows you to be insecure in your own arguments.

I do indeed like my beliefs to be challenged. I am "into" politics both online and in real life...I spend most of my time in D&D. You simply assume that I dislike being "challenged" because I don't supinely accept your nonsense.

When have I given the impression that I don't like my beliefs being challenged? Just because I know how to talk back to you?

that said, someone saying I believe this isn't a challenge at all... have I spoken to you like you are an idiot, or are you going to blindly continue like I have even though it is obvious to everyone elses eyes that I have not.
    I'm sure you didn't mean to

Have I treated you like you need to be converted? Does expressing my opinion mean I am automatically talking to you like you are stupid? No of course it does not, it simply means I am expressing my opinion!

You are not aware of what people believe in unless they tell you - unless you can read minds now? or are you just one of those people that makes assumptions about others? and passes judgement on them before you even know them?
    Did she actually tell me what she BELIEVES?

No of course not, she posted a song and pontificated like a 17 year old on a mushroom trip..."yeahhhh, god is sooooo amazingggg". Is that actually a belief? :wtf: Poor god!

No one has spoken to you like you are stupid, No one is preaching at you.

Be assured that if you need any help figuring things out - I'm sure if you are every bit as intelligent as you appear you won't, you are welcome to PM me and ask me about my beliefs
    Thanks, very kind of you, I'm fine as I am though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    I would like you to show me clearly in one post how a christian coming onto a public forum wanting to discuss her faith is wrong.
    :facepalm2:

RTFM.

Do not turn this into a 'does god even exist thread' ( as i see your trying to stray to this )because thats not what im asking.
    :facepalm2:

Straw men are very bad. For the record, I am not an atheist ""

As you said you freely clicked it, so you were not forced into anything. And if you want to 'destroy' the OP, do as you wish. But from that first line it would suggest that you feel that she shouldn't talk about her faith in this forum just because YOU dont like it, fair enough, but since your a self acclaimed debater i would like to see you argue, objectively off course, why this she shouldnt be allowed to discuss her faith.
    No, I feel she shouldn't preach and pontificate, it's bloody annoying.

I feel that if she's up for an academic debate on Christian theology, she should head to D&D's Theology section where she'd be more than welcome, and probably wouldn't get flamed half as much

If she's here just to rave about god being "amazing", she shouldn't expect to be taken seriously.

If you can try not to ask me any of other questions, you shouldnt need to anyways, since i need to start working soon.
    No questions asked, good luck with your work :yy:

ReputationRep:
    i can taste the strained relations up in here :mmm:

mmm salty

ReputationRep:
    Democracy, I see where you're coming from. However, are you equally peeved whenever you see threads with the sole purpose of bashing religion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    I find it interesting that you're saying these things, yet I've also seen you defend Islam like it was your own mother.
    Oh really? Would you please quote these defenses? I expect they will involve Afghanistan or SW Asia in general. :rolleyes:

Anyway. Child rape? That's not a Christian doctrine.

You could have fooled me. I think Hitchens says it best: "The Vatican, and its vast network of dioceses, has in the past decade alone been forced to admit complicity in a huge racket of child rape and child torture, mainly but by no means exclusively homosexual, in which known pederasts and sadists were shielded from the law and reassigned to parishes where the pickings of the innocent and defenseless were often richer. In Ireland alone — once an unquestioning disciple of Holy Mother Church — it is now estimated that the unmolested children of religious schools were probably the minority."

Hypocrisy? All people have elements of hypocrisy. Chauvanistic patriarchy? Sounds like society around the world until about 40 years ago.

So that makes it ok? :rolleyes:

Submitting yourself to slavery? No idea what that means.

Do you or do you not 'give' yourself to God? and submit yourself to his will?

Millions of people who died of AIDS in Africa? Not sure what that has to do with Christianity, but I know Christianity preaches against having premarital sex, which would effectively stop the spread of AIDS if everyone followed it.
    Christianity also preaches that condoms are evil, and that they spread aids. Which in turn is effectively a death sentance for thousands of children born with the virus. Preahcing abstinence is all well and good, but preaching that condoms are evil and wrong? That is an atrocity.

Submitting yourself to an immortal dictator... well why would the all-powerful creator of the universe make his following a democracy?
    :laugh:

And genocidal! You'll have to fill me in on that one. Probably referring to the Canaanites? They were ethnically identical to the Israelites, so that's not genocide, and all evidence historical and archaeological suggests that some elements of the conquest story were exaggerated just a tad.

The Amalekites? Soddom and Gomorrah?

"2 Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. 3 Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey." (1 Sam. 15:2-3).

What a guy eh?

But basically, you push aside all the true teachings of Christianity so you can pick at other aspects which you don't fully understand.
    Oh yes of course i couldn't understand could i? :rolleyes: Give me a break. It would seem i know more about your religion than you.

Yes, but if you're going to live in the UK odds are you aren't. I see your point now, but that wasn't what you said.

Yes it was.

ReputationRep:

The existence of intergalactic dragonfly's cannot be disproved. Would you say your faith that they do not exist is equal to the faith of a person who believes they do?

Gods non-existence is not fact. But if you are going to use that argument you must accept that there is as much proof for God as there is for Yoda or the Matrix, and in turn must give those fictions equal consideration lest you become a hypocrite.

Would you mind elaborating on this point?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazr)
    Im not religeous, religion is dead to me.. im a non legalistic Christian who has a growing relationship with Jesus and has saw him do amazing things in my life and with others. The Church I go to sings Hillsongs like rock worship http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYLxPByRZjg Its AWESOME. Our church is radical and has over 100 youth members. Its update and amazing. Does anyone eles share this ? I Just get this idea that people think Christians are middle class wolly wearing jumper boring people.
    Yeh, sure you do. Bit old for having make-believe friends aren't you?

ReputationRep:

"2 Thus says the Lord of hosts, ‘I have noted what Amalek did to Israel in opposing them on the way when they came up out of Egypt. 3 Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey." (1 Sam. 15:2-3).

What a guy eh?
    Plus, the genocide/capital punishment condoned in the ten commandments.

ReputationRep:
    Hooray for you (although I'm quite drunk). Its really great that you've come to have a relationship with the Lord Jesus

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? Would you please quote these defenses? I expect they will involve Afghanistan or SW Asia in general. :rolleyes:
    Effort. But no, not always.

You could have fooled me. I think Hitchens says it best: "The Vatican, and its vast network of dioceses, has in the past decade alone been forced to admit complicity in a huge racket of child rape and child torture, mainly but by no means exclusively homosexual, in which known pederasts and sadists were shielded from the law and reassigned to parishes where the pickings of the innocent and defenseless were often richer. In Ireland alone — once an unquestioning disciple of Holy Mother Church — it is now estimated that the unmolested children of religious schools were probably the minority."
    I'd think that would put you off of Catholicism, not Christianity altogether. But even then, it's pretty well accepted that those priests were being sinful and their actions were condemned accordingly.

So that makes it ok? :rolleyes:
    Well now it depends on what it is you think is chauvanistic patriarchy.

Do you or do you not 'give' yourself to God? and submit yourself to his will?
    Yes, but with the promise of eternal bliss and a mansion to look forward to, you're not exactly working for slave wages. I'd call it mega high class indentured servitude.

Christianity also preaches that condoms are evil, and that they spread aids. Which in turn is effectively a death sentance for thousands of children born with the virus. Preahcing abstinence is all well and good, but preaching that condoms are evil and wrong? That is an atrocity.
    You're referring strictly to the Catholics again. Every protestant who's ever lived has worn a condom (or in the days before condoms, stretched some sheep intestine over it or whatever the hell they did back then).

What a guy eh?
    Well they tried to kill all the Jews when they were leaving Egypt. Seems reasonable, at least by the standards of those times, to destroy a anything that poses a threat to your existence. Also that wasn't exactly genocide, they were just one tribe.

As for Sodom and Gomorrah, they tried to rape a couple of angels. I mean, come on.

Oh yes of course i couldn't understand could i? :rolleyes: Give me a break.
    I never said you can't, but chances are there are a lot of aspects which you simply don't.

Yes it was.
    We can go on like this all night.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I'm happy to hear it and I'm glad your happy.

I'm not so religious any more. I believe in God but don't go to church as often I used to. I rarely pray and I don't sing worship songs or help lead youth groups any more.

It's not that I don't believe but I just didn't find it meaningful any more. I also felt like I was on the outside looking in with church.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    Your not forced at all, no one made you click this thread, you read it at your own free will. i would like to see you argue that you were in fact forced into reading the OP. This forum is for discussion anyways just like atheist on TSR constantly go at every faith those like the OP discuss their beliefs. Or is it wrong for a christian to want to discuss her beliefs on a forum, is this what your trying to stop, are you against this because other wise i dont understand what your problem is.
    The OP should have gone and played with the big boys in D&D instead. If, instead, they make an inane post in GD their experience - an experience which offers nothing that anybody on the forum will have heard before - then it is hardly surprising that they receive uncomplementary replies. If they want to discuss their beliefs constructively, the way to not go about it is to make a thread like this where they share their experiences in an incredulous fashion.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.