Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    Do they mention genocide or capital punishment?

They mention the Sabbath and all the boll0cks ...
    Yeah, have a look here:

http://bibleencyclopedia.com/punishments.htm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    Do I?! No, I'm pretty sure I've seen you defend Muslims in general before. Let me see, if I trace your neg rep...

Aha! Here's the thread. "How women have to suffer in Islam."

35mm said:
    "Wutever, bored of the Islam debates now. Keep deluding yourselves that it's in any way 'peaceful' or a religion of 'gender equality'."

Your response:
    "Get off your high horse. You spout nothing but blind hatred."

How is that defending Islam? If anything it was my summation of 35mm's entire argument in that thread. Which had been based on naught but prejudice and stereotype. Especially that regarding SW Asia.

The Genesis story is mostly considered to be figurative, so we don't think they were made "of man" (though there's nothing misogynistic about that idea anyway). Nothing in the Christian belief system states that women are only here to benefit us, or that women are not able to enjoy their sexuality. Christians believe that men and women are meant to be in roles of mutual support.
    16Then he said to the woman, "You will bear children with intense pain and suffering. And though your desire will be for your husband,[a] he will be your master."
    Genesis 3:16

16 He said to the woman: I will intensify your labor pains; you will bear children in anguish. Your desire will be for your husband, yet he will dominate you.

16 To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."

And thats just Genesis! :eek:

Low self esteem? It's almost like you're desperate to insult me, but just...can't... find the right words.

But yes, I'm perfectly fine spending eternity doing that. Oh no, the horrible anguish of admiring a God while lounging in my 100 thousand square foot house, watching the Chargers win the Superbowl on my golden 300 inch HD plasma TV! Mannn. I hope suicide is possible in Heaven.
    You insult yourself well enough by alluding to this ridiculous illusion that you are going to be living in a mansion after you die. :mmm:

Well gee golly...

Ahh, it's so easy I almost want to refute that entirely! But must... resist... informal.... fallacy...
    Be my guest....

Aha, here we have your first error supporting my assertion that you don't fully understand Christianity. It wasn't Joshua, it was Saul.
    Apologies, i suppose that is like a casual fan of sstar wars confusing Darth vader with Palpatine. But the general story is there and that is what is important. (Although i see you have given up trying to justify Gods order to kill all the babies )

Next, I don't see why an immortal God, who created us all with immortal souls, would give a crap about the bloodflow of a bunch of peoples' mortal bodies. Especially when those peoples' souls would in fact have a chance for redemption and forgiveness later on.
    So if our souls are so important, an god doesn't care about our physical bodies. Why did he make so that we could feel such pain and anguish from injury? You r god is starting to sound like a bit of a cruel sadist, and he expects you to praise and thank him for nonchalantly inflicting this suffering upon you? :lolwut:

I can assure you, if those people had repented following the act and vowed to change their ways, God would have spared them.

You know what God wants? Are you saying that you know the mind of God? A lofty claim for a human being to make isn't it?

Before Jesus, mankind was in a state of separation from God. At this point in time, there was no mechanism in place for people to gain forgiveness. He didn't change his mind later, he was waiting for the opportune time.

Why was he wating? He is omniscient, he can see the future and the past. Are you saying he was not capable of connecting with humans before jesus? Why didn't he send jesus earlier. Was it beyond his power tocreate a mechanism for people to gain forgiveness before then?

If so, he doesn't really sound as omnipotent as you all claim he is.

And as I said, all those poor little Amalakites would have their chance once Jesus died.

So while they were waiting for Jesus to die, they would have to burn in hell, under immense suffering. Even though god knew he was going to send jesus, and had the power to send him prior to his eventual coming?

So in fact, God watched indifferent while the amalekites burnt, knowing he could stop it at any moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Pffft, as an atheist myself I can say with some assurance that a few atheists are some of the most annoying ************* on the planet earth.

Why exactly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    Why exactly?
    The incessant drone about how there is no god and all religious people are flawed gets a bit tedious. There is more to life then discussing how everything is essentially meaningless, like pancakes for instance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    The incessant drone about how there is no god and all religious people are flawed gets a bit tedious. There is more to life then discussing how everything is essentially meaningless, like pancakes for instance.

I could do both :iiam:

And i only debate and drone incessantly at those who are willing to drone back at me.

ReputationRep:
    I could do both :iiam:

And i only debate and drone incessantly at those who are willing to drone back at me.
    Not talking about you specifically bro :p: :o: :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :woo: :eek3: :yep: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Not talking about you specifically bro :p: :o: :mad: :confused: :rolleyes: :cool: :eek: :woo: :eek3: :yep: .

Oh right... :train2:____

ReputationRep:
    Yay another Christianity vs Atheist pissing contest whoopy.

From what I've read of "God" he is a dictator and a right sadist, highly sexist and is that child with a magnifying glass with a God complex. Look at Adam and Eve, oh you touched a fruit and eaten it so now you suffer eternally. (thats not really rational is it?)

I'm not going to do a long post because it is pretty much the same as the whole Team Edward and Team Jacob crap

but a bit of guidance just live for today why demene and evaporate your intelligence to a being with so little proof exsists dedicate and demoralise your life. You'd mays well die because all you sound like is a loon

ReputationRep:
    So it isn't the religion, per se, but the bunch of people you get to chat with?
    All denominations of Christianity are the same religion so no, it's not the religion though sometimes the teachings have a little part to play.

The purpose of church is to have a time of fellowship with other Christians. If you don't fit in with the crowd, you're not going to have much fellowship. I've been to churches that were highly impersonal (people would show up, listen, then go home), I've been to churches that are ******* crazy, I've been to churches that were generally weird, and I've been to churches that had an atmosphere that I just didn't really like. Do you find it unreasonable that I wouldn't want to settle at these kinds of churches?

How is that defending Islam? If anything it was my summation of 35mm's entire argument in that thread. Which had been based on naught but prejudice and stereotype. Especially that regarding SW Asia.
    But you were referring specifically to that one statement, about Islam being peaceful and a religion of gender equality.

16Then he said to the woman, "You will bear children with intense pain and suffering. And though your desire will be for your husband,[a] he will be your master."

16 He said to the woman: I will intensify your labor pains; you will bear children in anguish. Your desire will be for your husband, yet he will dominate you.

16 To the woman he said, "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing; with pain you will give birth to children. Your desire will be for your husband, and he will rule over you."

This passage is referring to negative repercussions that came about due to the fall of man. It's certainly not stating it as a good thing, it's stating it as a prediction for the future as a result of evil entering the world.

My point stands. Women do not have the sole purpose of benefiting men, nor do we think they do.

You insult yourself well enough by alluding to this ridiculous illusion that you are going to be living in a mansion after you die. :mmm:
    And am I meant to be offended by that?

And now instead of pursuing your prior arguments, we have a nice ad hominem. Who taught you to debate?

Be my guest....
    Do you know what a straw man is, Aeolus?

Apologies, i suppose that is like a casual fan of sstar wars confusing Darth vader with Palpatine. But the general story is there and that is what is important. (Although i see you have given up trying to justify Gods order to kill all the babies )
    That wasn't much of a rebuttal. Is it really that hard for you to actually counter a point with an argument?

So if our souls are so important, an god doesn't care about our physical bodies. Why did he make so that we could feel such pain and anguish from injury? You r god is starting to sound like a bit of a cruel sadist, and he expects you to praise and thank him for nonchalantly inflicting this suffering upon you? :lolwut:
    Pain is a result of the evolutionary process, I'm sure you know that. Pain is our body telling us that whatever we're doing is harmful, so we should stop. God may not care much about our mortal survival, but that's no reason not to at least give us mechanisms to protect ourselves.

You know what God wants? Are you saying that you know the mind of God? A lofty claim for a human being to make isn't it?
    All you have to do is look at scriptures, and it'll tell you how God interacts with certain situations. Take a little gander at the story of Ninevah. God was going to destroy that one too, until they repented and they were spared.

Why was he wating? He is omniscient, he can see the future and the past. Are you saying he was not capable of connecting with humans before jesus? Why didn't he send jesus earlier. Was it beyond his power tocreate a mechanism for people to gain forgiveness before then?

If so, he doesn't really sound as omnipotent as you all claim he is.
    He's omniscient, but I don't see how that means he wouldn't wait for the right time.

He didn't send Jesus earlier because the conditions weren't ideal. The age of Roman occupation in Israel was a perfect time to send a Messiah.

And there was a method for Jews to gain salvation, and that was through the observance of the law. The rest would have to wait, see what I write below.

So while they were waiting for Jesus to die, they would have to burn in hell, under immense suffering. Even though god knew he was going to send jesus, and had the power to send him prior to his eventual coming?

So in fact, God watched indifferent while the amalekites burnt, knowing he could stop it at any moment.
    No, they weren't burning in hell. They were waiting in Hades (there's a difference, Hades is simply a place of dwelling for the dead).

And to whoever that was, I'm sorry I'm "really boring." If you're so bored, then don't read my posts! Aeolus, you're the only person I see here with enough power to knock off two gems. Now let's be honest here, you lil joker! So yeah, if you're so bored of me... why continue?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't atheists stop responding to morons posting crap in consistently successful ways who have the intention of inciting this ****-fest called a 'debate'? Everyone knows that the OP (and religion) is retarded.

"Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon; it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    But you were referring specifically to that one statement, about Islam being peaceful and a religion of gender equality.

No, you assumed i was referring specifically to that one statement. But you know what they say about assumption.

This passage is referring to negative repercussions that came about due to the fall of man. It's certainly not stating it as a good thing, it's stating it as a prediction for the future as a result of evil entering the world.
    So you are admitting that christianity is patriarchal and opressive to women?

After all the fall of man apparently meant that god told women that men would be their master etc..etc..

And am I meant to be offended by that?

And now instead of pursuing your prior arguments, we have a nice ad hominem. Who taught you to debate?

This stopped being a debate when you cited mansions and plasma tv's made of gold as legitimate points. :rolleyes:

Do you know what a straw man is, Aeolus?

Are you trying to persist with accusing me of a strawman to avoid a discussion on portestant atrocity? Which in itself would be a strawman.

Pain is a result of the evolutionary process,

So you accept the evolutionary process?.... While at the same time accepting that God made us in his image?? :eyebrow:

I'm sure you know that. Pain is our body telling us that whatever we're doing is harmful, so we should stop.

So what should the innocent Amalekite children have done to stop the pain inflicted by God?

All you have to do is look at scriptures, and it'll tell you how God interacts with certain situations. Take a little gander at the story of Ninevah. God was going to destroy that one too, until they repented and they were spared.
    Which if anything reinforces God as a totalitarian tyrant. Bow before him and accept slavery, or you will be destroyed and burn forever in hell.

He's omniscient, but I don't see how that means he wouldn't wait for the right time.

He stops being omnipotent if his actions are dictated to him by other forces, such as the apparent 'right time'. Why did he have to wait? Did something stop him form acting sooner?

He didn't send Jesus earlier because the conditions weren't ideal. The age of Roman occupation in Israel was a perfect time to send a Messiah.
    So Gods actions are dictated by our own? This alone means that God ceases to be omnipotent and would not therefore be God at all. Why would he let a tiny little empire like Rome get in the way of him and his flock?

No, they weren't burning in hell. They were waiting in Hades (there's a difference, Hades is simply a place of dwelling for the dead).

But you believe in the judeo christian religion, not the Olympian one. Jesus said that hell exists and it is a place of fire, brimstone and punishment for those who disobeyed God. Was he lying?

And to whoever that was, I'm sorry I'm "really boring." If you're so bored, then don't read my posts! Aeolus, you're the only person I see here with enough power to knock off two gems. Now let's be honest here, you lil joker! So yeah, if you're so bored of me... why continue?
    That wasn't me. I have already repped tonight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Nebula)
    Jesus us going to have a relationship with the back of my hand if he doesn't start teaching his sheep to be quiet.
    Actually, he taught us exactly the opposite!
    He taught us to go around the world telling everyone what He did
    for them :p:

PS. Thanks for sharing this Yazr, I'm glad there's someone out there that walks in the same Spirit!
    Many blessings,
    Mary Ann

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    I don't care what you do, so long as you keep your faith personal.

Anyone can express what they believe in, no matter what.
    That is what tolerance is about, too.

(Original post by caradepan)
    Anyone can express what they believe in, no matter what.
    That is what tolerance is about, too.
    There is a difference between being expressive about a belief, and a becoming a nuisance.

In any case, a belief in God is a personal thing. Presumably, between you and him. Why would you want to go around professing it, unless of course it is a social statement.

ReputationRep:
    There is a difference between being expressive about a belief, and a becoming a nuisance.

In any case, a belief in God is a personal thing. Presumably, between you and him. Why would you want to go around professing it, unless of course it is a social statement.
    Oh there you go, quoting me again!
    I feel honoured u_u

...by the way, it's true, it's a personal thing. But also social, in the way that you want to share it with others. The times I've talked about it with friends at uni, school, club, I do it gently, and frequently when they ask me.
    I think I'm emotionally intelligent enough to know when I'm being rude, so If a person doesn't want to know, I simply restrain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lella_m)
    Churches are not 'radical'.
    I think they are.
    I take what Alice Cooper says here as v. truthful:
    "Drinking beer is easy. Trashing your hotel room is easy. But being a Christian, that's a tough call. That's real rebellion!"

Basically, anything which directly helps people, and also gets people to think, and tries to get people to have a real revolution in their hearts. That's radical
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just going to focus on this bit as it's the most ridiculous (though it should also be pointed out that Roman Catholic =/= Christian):

Read on a bit:

17And to the man* he said,
    ‘Because you have listened to the voice of your wife,
    and have eaten of the tree
    about which I commanded you,
    “You shall not eat of it”,
    cursed is the ground because of you;
    in toil you shall eat of it all the days of your life;
    18thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you;
    and you shall eat the plants of the field.
    19By the sweat of your face
    you shall eat bread
    until you return to the ground,
    for out of it you were taken;
    you are dust,
    and to dust you shall return.’

The primeval story (Genesis 1-11) is made up of aetiologies that go about explaining the world as it was percieved by the Israelites at its time of writing. Women did suffer in childbirth and were devoted to their husbands, so they wrote a myth in which it was divinely ordained. Men did struggle with their work, and so again, this was believed to have come from God. In the story, though, both of these punishments are a consequence of humans straying from God wanted for them.

Let's head over to the first creation story. Yes, there are two, and they explain things differently - the first is much more concerned with imparting doctrine, so if we're talking about how Christianity (or Judaism) sees women it's much more relevant. From chapter 1:

26 Then God said, ‘Let us make humankind* in our image, according to our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the wild animals of the earth,* and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth.’
    27So God created humankind* in his image,
    in the image of God he created them;*
    male and female he created them.
    28God blessed them, and God said to them, ‘Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth and subdue it; and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the air and over every living thing that moves upon the earth.’

No distinction is made between man and woman. Woman is not created in the image of man; both are created in the image of God. Both are valued. Indeed, even when woman is created out of man in the second creation story, she is created in such a way because no equal is found for man in the animal kingdom.

Regardless of the veracity of any of it (indeed, once you get to university many theologians are agnostic or atheist), you're talking about a religion that just doesn't exist. If I tried to give my uneducated opinion on string theory I would get shot down, and rightly so - why then does every militant atheist deem themselves to be an expert in theology?

ReputationRep:
    This thread has just went into manic arguments and disagreemnets... what I expected. To all use who are critiazising my relationship or think im loopy, I respect your view and opnions becuase in this world we all need to repesect each other. Just understand that Ill never leave my god and I will continue to worsip and follow him till the day I meet him in hevan.

ReputationRep:
    This is lame. Seriously, seriously lame. Also, if you go to church and have a relationship with Jeebus then you most certainly are religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yazr)
    This thread has just went into manic arguments and disagreemnets... what I expected. To all use who are critiazising my relationship or think im loopy, I respect your view and opnions becuase in this world we all need to repesect each other. Just understand that Ill never leave my god and I will continue to worsip and follow him till the day I meet him in hevan.
    So good luck :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.