Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Arghhhh. My friend keeps bugging me to move in with her, into the same halls and the same flat. OMG...I am also living in halls too but I like where I am, and am settled in my room. Thing is, she is really sensitive and will take it to heart if I say no. I think saying I am settled in my room sounds lame ...as if it was someone I actually liked I would have definitely moved in with them...it's just I don't actually like her that much. I can't think of how to politely tell her I don't want to...I feel like anything I say will end in tears. She has sent me messages all year begging me and now the deadline has come she has asked me again!!!

ReputationRep:
    say you like where you are simples, and you dont want to pay to live somewhere that you wont be happy

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to then don't.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do anything that you don't want to do otherwise you'll spend next year miserable. people suit themselves so you should suit yourself

It's my fault...I kind of made it look like I wanted to move in with her all year because I didn't really know what to say...and now I'm stuck....thing is she keeps being more and more persistent and now the stupid deadline has reared its ugly head I have to make a sodding decision. I just love where I am right now, but I don't want to say to her cause it sounds so lame. I just wish I could think of something more convincing!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It's my fault...I kind of made it look like I wanted to move in with her all year because I didn't really know what to say...and now I'm stuck....thing is she keeps being more and more persistent and now the stupid deadline has reared its ugly head I have to make a sodding decision. I just love where I am right now, but I don't want to say to her cause it sounds so lame. I just wish I could think of something more convincing!!!
    Don't do it. If she is going to bully you into being unhappy, it can only end poorly for the both of you! If she takes it personal, she needs to grow up and stop pressuring you. If you said maybe once, she should realise that people change their minds once in a while.

ReputationRep:
    Or tell her you'll move in if she'll pay half. If somebody is being really persistent about something, I occasionally just tell them they can pay for it if it is that important to them!

ReputationRep:
    Nah I can't be bothered to change anymore. I like where I live and I'm settled in.

ReputationRep:
    Just say you like where you are now and your current independence. Not that you have anything against living with her but you don't really want to uproot again.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest i think your being a bit unfair to her! if you'd just said no the first time she asked then she probably would have moved on and tried to find someone else! now she has no hope just tell her straight! if you don't even like her then why do you care ?

ReputationRep:
    Don't make up a lie - it's way too much hassle.
    Just tell her honestly.

ReputationRep:
    I think you'll have to come up with an excuse, if you really don't want to hurt her feelings - money? Convenience? Simply liking halls?

That's the thing, I am already living in halls. And to add some more info, we are actually in the same building! She just wants me to move INTO her flat. Which I don't want to do as I don't think we would get along together in the same flat.

(Original post by nnnomi)
    Don't make up a lie - it's way too much hassle.
    Just tell her honestly.
    That's the thing, she makes me feel the need to lie because if I were to be honest with her she would srart sulking, take it personally, accuse me of stuff, make it all about her. It's just easier to lie and keep her at bay. But I don't even know what to say!!!

(Original post by spl00sh)
    to be honest i think your being a bit unfair to her! if you'd just said no the first time she asked then she probably would have moved on and tried to find someone else! now she has no hope just tell her straight! if you don't even like her then why do you care ?
    Thing is I never said outright I wanted to move in, I've always been very "hmmmm we'll see"..."yeah doesn't sound too bad I suppose"...and now she seems to think we're best friends and we're moving in together. Are people really that bad at reading the signs? Surely if I WANTED to move in with her I'd take it upon myself to apply!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.