Turn on thread page Beta

I fancy my pychiatrist, what do I do? watch

ReputationRep:
    You probably want to try change psychiatrist. The sessions won't do you any good if you're not thinking of them, but her, and it's not something that can happen. I'd mention it to her and ask whether she thinks you should be moved to someone else. She'll have a better opinion on it than any of us, it will be a more common thing than you think, they'll know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    Errr don't do it? There's professional boundaries which she should almost certainly be adhering to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    My psychiatrist is pretty damn awesome too. I sort of wish I'd met her in different circumstances as I imagine she would be a great friend.

I really don't think you should tell her how you feel. If it's getting in the way ask for a change. Nothing can happen between you two.
    Lol you fancied yours too? Now the more I think about it the more I think she should refer me. Lol I can hear cats calling for each other.

(Original post by QuantBrain)
    Lol you fancied yours too? Now the more I think about it the more I think she should refer me. Lol I can hear cats calling for each other.
    No I don't fancy mine, I just think she's one of the most awesome people I have ever met. We always talk about movies and music and cool stuff, it's weird, she went to a concert of one of my favourite bands, I was pretty jealous. :p:

You should probably get referred tbh, because as someone said if you're focusing too much on her and not on like the therapy side it's not beneficial to you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I understand but that won't stop a love affair when both parties feel the same. Or maybe it will, as you said its the psychiatrist's responsibility. I can keep a secret though xD
    No professional therapist in their right mind would have a relationship with a client, I don't think you understand how completely taboo it is. As bad as a teacher/student thing.

ReputationRep:
    Stop using her as a therapist and ask her out.

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to go against the flow, and say go for it! :P
    what have you got to loose really?! a psychiatist? a few tears? why not, i say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No I don't fancy mine, I just think she's one of the most awesome people I have ever met. We always talk about movies and music and cool stuff, it's weird, she went to a concert of one of my favourite bands, I was pretty jealous. :p:

You should probably get referred tbh, because as someone said if you're focusing too much on her and not on like the therapy side it's not beneficial to you anyway.
    lol that's cool, makes me wish I didn't see mine in that way.. I will end up being refered, know I will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    i'm going to go against the flow, and say go for it! :P
    what have you got to loose really?! a psychiatist? a few tears? why not, i say.
    Lol I really laughed at this. I will tell her next time I see her (will man up) and tell her if she stays professional I will ask for a referal as I will only dream. If she says she feels the same I would quit the doc/patient relationship and start a normal one. After all I didn't even think anything of her till she started flirting, so there might be something behind this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABeautifulMind)
    Transference.
    I would bone you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    I would bone you.
    :p: Thank you haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABeautifulMind)
    :p: Thank you haha
    So... Any chance of taking this further...

ReputationRep:
    lol err do not watch the Sopranos then.

I'm not posting anonymous since everyone is anonymous on the internet really.

I'm a guy and I've had feelings for her for about half a year but haven't told her. It started as she started flirting with me just a tiny bit for example she once jokingly said we should go cinema together as I need to go out more often, another time is when how she said that I look attractive because I said I was unconfident with my looks and stuff, there's lots more examples that I won't get into and bore you with lol.

Anyway I've come to a point where its getting in the way of my life and I constantly think about her. I see her once a month and I count the days to see her each time. I don't know if I should tell her or not she's always been very nice and we have started talking as if we are friends in sessions and I wish my feelings were mutual.

Should I let her know or see someone else? Or should I tell her and see what she says, what can I expect she'll say? She's been a big help to me and I wouldn't want to put all that progress in jeapordy.

Thanks
    If you proposition her she may be forced to drop you as a patient.

Any relationship would risk her medical license - whether you start seeing a different psychiatrist or not.

Fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hamzab)
    So... Any chance of taking this further...

Lol not really, I don't really need someone to "bone me" Its doesn't sound too appealing :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    No professional therapist in their right mind would have a relationship with a client, I don't think you understand how completely taboo it is. As bad as a teacher/student thing.
    With every therapist I have had they had they became my friend and our weekly sessions became like chatting sessions, I think if you see the same person for long enough it just stops becoming professional.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Walkin'Butterfly)
    With every therapist I have had they had they became my friend and our weekly sessions became like chatting sessions, I think if you see the same person for long enough it just stops becoming professional.
    That's not really how it works. It might feel like they're your friend, but they definitely wouldn't think of you in the same way (unless they're as irresponsible as the OP's one seems to be). Therapists and clients do have a relationship, obviously, but it shouldn't be friendship, and chatting and laughing about stuff doesn't amount to that. It's way more complicated than that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.