Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there any point?

ReputationRep:
    You have an exam at 04:30?! :eek3:

Yes there is every point.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, tbh most of my revision gets done either the night before and especially in the couple of hours leading up to the exam =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WarmEye)
    Is there any point?
    That close to an exam, there's not really that much that more revision can do; you'd be better off getting yourself into the right state of mind, not panicking and (for a morning exam) getting a good night's sleep. Granted, for exams based primarily on knowledge (rather than understanding), 'cramming' may be useful if you're lucky that the topics that you look at come up, but I'd say that on balance this could do more harm than good.

ReputationRep:
    depends. If you're tired and nervous then it won't go in but if you're calm them it can be really useful. The hour before the exam is better spent doing something else though.

ReputationRep:
    The reason being because the exam is at 1:30pm and im going to start revising at 9.

ReputationRep:
    It helps.

ReputationRep:
    definetly helps. could end up reading somthing that shows up in the exam

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i think there is a point.
    You might learn yourself something that you never knew which comes up, or you might just be able to cram loads as you feel under pressure..
    I do most of my revision the day before/hours before, works best for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WarmEye)
    Is there any point?
    It's better than nothing

ReputationRep:
    I only have a short term memory for facts and stuff so I 'cram' in the hours leading up to an exam - hasn't failed me yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Goose)
    I only have a short term memory for facts and stuff so I 'cram' in the hours leading up to an exam - hasn't failed me yet
    Sorry this is of topic but i just saw that you do Law at Hull :') Whats it like? Accmodation, nightlife ect ect ect

Back to the subject...
    I normaly do try and cram, i have a good short term memort for facts so its useful in those kind of exams. However in exams where its more "understanding" than facts and knowledge, 4h before wont do to much good.

ReputationRep:
    revising does tend to help..

ReputationRep:
    Maybe a bit off topic but what would you recommend doing on the morning of an afternoon exam then?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the subject.

Maths can be done in that time (if you're good at it).

Chemistry, cannot.

ReputationRep:
    If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail

ReputationRep:
    Generally what you don't know 24 hours before the exam you're never gonna.. And if you do; like 2 things will probably stick in you're head and you'll be even worse.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, last minute revision is the best kind! For me at least, my short term memory works a lot better than my long term, so if I reinforce everything I'm supposed to know a couple of hours before the exam, the exam goes a lot better than if I've revised over say a two week period but not done anything in the last 24 hours or so.

The key to last minute revision, IMO, is to start doing your notes at least a week before so you've got all the info you need, make sure there's nothing you don't understand, then cram in the last couple of days before the exam, increasing in intensity. I revised for four hours before both of my January exams (luckily they were in the afternoon) and I think/hope they went well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snapshot13)
    Sorry this is of topic but i just saw that you do Law at Hull :') Whats it like? Accmodation, nightlife ect ect ect

Back to the subject...
    I normaly do try and cram, i have a good short term memort for facts so its useful in those kind of exams. However in exams where its more "understanding" than facts and knowledge, 4h before wont do to much good.
    well i didn't move in - and do't really go for nights out there! so i don't really know. But all my friends like it and apparently the nights out are really good - the law society is out on pub golf social as I type this!. The course is good though =) tutors are friendly and get to know most of the students so you don't just feel like a number. There's lots of different types of accommodation so it'[s probably best to have a look round and see which you'd prefer - but you should definitely go to a Hull open day if you haven't already =)

ReputationRep:
    i prefer not to , i would rather stay up late and get up late. i know people say when you sleep it all sinks in. it actually does for me. i wake up and know everything lol

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.