Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AS level options - don't know if I should take Biology!!!!!!! help!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    My options are Maths, History, R.S. and Biology. The only thing is that I'm having really big doubts about Biology now because I don't know if it will be too hard for me especially with the workload from History and R.S. ...etc. I'm planning on dropping Biology for A2 but want to do it for AS. However, one of the things that swayed me to choose a science was because of the fact that I'm doing triple science for GCSE. Is this a really bad idea taking Biology? Although I do enjoy it the most out the three sciences. Btw i'm likely to get a high A for triple Biology. PLEASE HELP!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well I took Biology, English Language, Psychology and Chemistry for Alevel...and i did triple science at GCSE...and biology was hell. Lol sorry but it literally took all of my time and left me with hardley anything for the other subjects..thankfully psycho and eng were pretty easy :p:

Really depends on how well you study..maths is v hard too...and with history as well as bio you are really setting urself up for :eek3:

What do u wanna do at uni?? should consider that too.

Good Luuuuck
    X

ReputationRep:
    nah, i wouldn't take it if your planning to drop it at AS anyway. I did an A level in it, and got an A at AS, and believe me, it took a LOT of work to get that grade, it didn't happen overnight. it may be slightly easier now because there's only two modules but i dunno, not worth the risk in my opinion. Take something easier that your intrested in like ocr psychology (although there is a decent amount still to learn, it's reduce a lot since i did it) or even ICT(provided you did it at GCSE). I'm doing economics atm, and i'm not finding it too difficult, there's not too much to learn, you just have to be careful of revision technique with it (do LOTS of multiple choice) and its also got the added bonus of being a respected A-level if you feel you need that. Hope this helps somewhat.

ReputationRep:
    I do History, RS and Biology at A-Level. The fact that you're likely to get a high in triple science is meaningless. Lots of people get stellar GCSEs then **** up A-levels. If you enjoy Biology, take it, it's my favourite lesson, and with History and RS (easily two of the hardest, if not THE hardest A-levels) you should take something you enjoy, even if you are going to drop it at AS.

ReputationRep:
    If you enjoy it I say go for it.. as long as you like the subject it makes any work more enjoyable. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I've heard its more like memorizing stuff but i've chosen it and i might drop it later on :P

ReputationRep:
    If it's AQA, NO!

Read the spec and see if you would like it too. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    i dont think biol is that bad! OP, i took it in september and it's fine... maths is harder for me!

ReputationRep:
    I took maths, chemistry, physics, biology and english lit. I can say biology was by far the easiest out of the lot so yeah.. go for it lol

ReputationRep:
    If you'll be on AQA.. DO NOT DO IT. The course is still interesting but their mark schemes and questions are horrible. I've heard OCR is alright Maybe a different science if you're not 100% sure about Biology?

(Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    My options are Maths, History, R.S. and Biology. The only thing is that I'm having really big doubts about Biology now because I don't know if it will be too hard for me especially with the workload from History and R.S. ...etc. I'm planning on dropping Biology for A2 but want to do it for AS. However, one of the things that swayed me to choose a science was because of the fact that I'm doing triple science for GCSE. Is this a really bad idea taking Biology? Although I do enjoy it the most out the three sciences. Btw i'm likely to get a high A for triple Biology. PLEASE HELP!!!
    First of all, in order to maximise the chance to get into top competitive universities, You'll have to go with the rules. top unis like traditional subjects better, cambridge published a list of recommended subjects, imply the 'subjects they like you to take" - all of those are traditional subjects like Maths, History, English literature, Biology, Physics, Chemistry...etc

If you are good at biology then why not. but for me I found it the most difficult one among physics, chemistry and biology, but some people say Physics is the most difficult subject. It depends on your maths ability. If you are good at applying formulas to realistic situations, go with physics, if you are good at memorising go with biology, esp if you are interested, why not?

GCSE is fairly easy compared to A level. your exam results in GCSE doesn't necessarily guarantee a success at the same subject. Best way would be having a go at Biology and see if you can make changes in the first few weeks - in case you feel like can't handle it.

the other thing you need to look at is what course you 'd like to study in uni. As your choices of A-level directly affects your chances of acceptance. Not saying you have to decide now but at least you'd have known already what sort of things you re looking for, what you hate etc
    Some courses, mostly the scientific ones, look for particular subjects to be taken in A level, so *check*.

Since most people don't know their uni choice yet , it is always safe to pick the traditional subjects just to be safe, Your choice of Maths and History provide you a good mix to widen your choices of uni degree. Biology is a good subject, if it suits you and you work hard.

ReputationRep:
    Just work hard and it wont be a problem. I done Biology, Physics, Maths and History, all to A-Level. And got good grades in all of them. What you put in is what you get. Your combination is good ,however, i would actually think of replacing religious studies unless you have a passion for it and what to persue it further.
    Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    If you like it and you enjoy it, you should take it. You can always drop it in the first few weeks if you realise you don't like it

(Original post by fretter778)
    If you like it and you enjoy it, you should take it. You can always drop it in the first few weeks if you realise you don't like it
    Point taken

ReputationRep:
    iv heard its quite bad i dont do it personally but it depends on what you enjoy
    xx

ReputationRep:
    AS Bio is just volumes and volumes and volumes of info. The actual content isn't hard, it's if you are good at retaining lots of info which might be the main problem.
    By far the easiest science, but if you don't put 100% in, it will be hard to get a good grade. Make sure you're certain about taking it before you fully commit.

ReputationRep:
    Take biology
    Easiest subject I do, but I love it all the same

I didn't think the workload was that large -- it will depend on the school!

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that Biology is only needed specifically for a Biology degree, anything else, even medicine can be studied without it!

So...I'm not going to lie, if you're not 100% sure then I wouldn't take it - unless by chance you happen to have a photographic memory (there's so much to remember, that apparently in the end you start to forget things!) or it likes to any future career you have in mind, I would take something like English lit. (goes well with R.S and History) or physics (goes well with maths) as they are much more open subjects - it doesn't matter if you drop them at AS!

Unless you're quite good at maths - in which case you might want to look into Further maths, which along with the others is very well respected :yep:

ReputationRep:
    It takes up far too much time in my opinion = / you can always start it and change courses after a couple of weeks =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kezia16)
    Well I took Biology, English Language, Psychology and Chemistry for Alevel...and i did triple science at GCSE...and biology was hell. Lol sorry but it literally took all of my time and left me with hardley anything for the other subjects..thankfully psycho and eng were pretty easy :p:

Really depends on how well you study..maths is v hard too...and with history as well as bio you are really setting urself up for :eek3:

What do u wanna do at uni?? should consider that too.

Good Luuuuck
    X
    Well I guess I should have mentioned this in the thread before, but oh well. I know that I want to pursue Law at uni and Maths and History are definite options, which will most likely stay throughout AS and A2 unless something drastic happens. Also, I have to admit that I felt a little obliged to take a science because i'm doing triple award and everybody else I know had chosen it. I know i'd enjoy Biology but i'm the kind of person who likes Maths more. Although, out of all the sciences Biology is preferable.
    I chose English Lit at first and then realised that it would a bad choice because I wasn't confident of obtaining an A in it from AS or A level (plus i've heard many stories). Basically I have now been put off doing English Lang/Lit completely. It was replaced by a softer option - R.S. However, I have chosen Government and Politics for those that offer it instead of English. I also want to keep my options really open just in case I am not successful with Law.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.