The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

jjackson18624
nah, i wouldn't take it if your planning to drop it at AS anyway. I did an A level in it, and got an A at AS, and believe me, it took a LOT of work to get that grade, it didn't happen overnight. it may be slightly easier now because there's only two modules but i dunno, not worth the risk in my opinion. Take something easier that your intrested in like ocr psychology (although there is a decent amount still to learn, it's reduce a lot since i did it) or even ICT(provided you did it at GCSE). I'm doing economics atm, and i'm not finding it too difficult, there's not too much to learn, you just have to be careful of revision technique with it (do LOTS of multiple choice) and its also got the added bonus of being a respected A-level if you feel you need that. Hope this helps somewhat.

So shall I do Economics instead of Biology. I had considered it for a while but didn't think it looked interesting.
Mann18
I do History, RS and Biology at A-Level. The fact that you're likely to get a high in triple science is meaningless. Lots of people get stellar GCSEs then **** up A-levels. If you enjoy Biology, take it, it's my favourite lesson, and with History and RS (easily two of the hardest, if not THE hardest A-levels) you should take something you enjoy, even if you are going to drop it at AS.

Is the workload a lot for Biology and I mean is it A LOT to the extent that it's affecting say...History (i've heard History requires you to work hard too). Oh and what is your opinion on R.S. - easy? hard? middling?
Reply 22
AS biology needs alot of effort and time. I think it's going to be too much if you take it. :frown:
Dr. Jan Itor
It's insanely boring.

Why don't you do AS Physics if you're taking Maths?

Wouldn't Physics be just as boring or more? Well I don't enjoy it very much but i'm not bad at it.
:rofl: at everyone who has told you to avoid the AQA spec. Pygmy shrews are evil, after all.

I'm doing the Edexcel spec, and I think it's pretty good. =)

Biology is a fascinating subject for me and my lessons are quite fun. You do need to revise though, there is a lot that is covered in depth. I guess what you want to do is entirely dependent on what you want to study at university/future careers. Biology is, however, a respected subject, and will improve your UCAS/CV nevertheless.

If you want to do it, do it! You could always switch courses anyway. GCSEs aren't too relevant either: A-levels are the real deal.
lj789
First of all, in order to maximise the chance to get into top competitive universities, You'll have to go with the rules. top unis like traditional subjects better, cambridge published a list of recommended subjects, imply the 'subjects they like you to take" - all of those are traditional subjects like Maths, History, English literature, Biology, Physics, Chemistry...etc

If you are good at biology then why not. but for me I found it the most difficult one among physics, chemistry and biology, but some people say Physics is the most difficult subject. It depends on your maths ability. If you are good at applying formulas to realistic situations, go with physics, if you are good at memorising go with biology, esp if you are interested, why not?

GCSE is fairly easy compared to A level. your exam results in GCSE doesn't necessarily guarantee a success at the same subject. Best way would be having a go at Biology and see if you can make changes in the first few weeks - in case you feel like can't handle it.

the other thing you need to look at is what course you 'd like to study in uni. As your choices of A-level directly affects your chances of acceptance. Not saying you have to decide now but at least you'd have known already what sort of things you re looking for, what you hate etc
Some courses, mostly the scientific ones, look for particular subjects to be taken in A level, so *check*.

Since most people don't know their uni choice yet , it is always safe to pick the traditional subjects just to be safe, Your choice of Maths and History provide you a good mix to widen your choices of uni degree. Biology is a good subject, if it suits you and you work hard.

I know what i'd like to pursue at uni - Law. The subject doesn't require any particular A levels or GCSE's apart from English Language of course. However, I have structured my options around the subject, leaving my choices a bit more open. Biology is a subject that I would enjoy but I think combined with History and more essay based subjects it would highlight difficulties. I'm thinking of not taking Biology because I don't know whether i'll be able to cope with the workload (and I want A's my A levels too). Perhaps, I should take Economics? What do you think? Or maybe even a different science...chemistry?!
Reply 26
i think its good fun, spesh if your a tri sci errr,

content not hard, theres just a lot of it, it is time consuming but cramming always works :smile:
suicidaloverbusiness
So shall I do Economics instead of Biology. I had considered it for a while but didn't think it looked interesting.

I find it really enjoyable, but its down to personal prefrence i suppose! I also loved history though, so we may have similar tastes? the news makes a lot more sense these days too, when they're talking about inflation and what not. I think its a useful a-level to have, but im kinda biased. err i'll try giving you an example of a topic.... uemployment. unemployment can be caused my demand deficency... to stimulate more demand the goverment can interviene by using monetary(changing intrest rates)/fiscal policy (by reducing direct tax).... but this could cause government failure, meaning the costs outweigh the benefits... however...& blah blah blah blah. There's a lot of analysis and evaluation involved... so seeing as you like history i'm guessing it's your thing?
Reply 28
I wouldn't consider R.S an easy subject. It's challenging; there are a lot of concepts you need to understand its not a case of learning something and then writing it down you need to know how to apply it too.

Eng Lang is not a strong subject over history or R.S. If you applied for law they'd rather you had history or RS over eng lang..
jjackson18624
I find it really enjoyable, but its down to personal prefrence i suppose! I also loved history though, so we may have similar tastes? the news makes a lot more sense these days too, when they're talking about inflation and what not. I think its a useful a-level to have, but im kinda biased. err i'll try giving you an example of a topic.... uemployment. unemployment can be caused my demand deficency... to stimulate more demand the goverment can interviene by using monetary(changing intrest rates)/fiscal policy (by reducing direct tax).... but this could cause government failure, meaning the costs outweigh the benefits... however...& blah blah blah blah. There's a lot of analysis and evaluation involved... so seeing as you like history i'm guessing it's your thing?

Ok well it sounds alright. The reason why I stayed away from it was because i'm currently doing my Business Studies GCSE, which I hate btw. I don't mind the exam but I deteste the coursework. Does Economics range in the topics ie it doesn't just concentrate on say the British Government only. Would it allow you explore a range of things? With my Business Studies coursework I have to choose an organisation and write about 100 pages comparing it and contrasting it. It is excruciatingly boring and I wouldn't want to fall into the trap of choosing a new subject and later realising it's not for me.

If I did choose Economics instead of Biology then my options would be as followed:
Maths, History, Economics and R.S/Government and Politics (R.S is chosen for the colleges and sixth forms that do not offer Government and Politics)
Peachz
I wouldn't consider R.S an easy subject. It's challenging; there are a lot of concepts you need to understand its not a case of learning something and then writing it down you need to know how to apply it too.

Eng Lang is not a strong subject over history or R.S. If you applied for law they'd rather you had history or RS over eng lang..

I had English Lit in mind not Lang and i'm sure Lit is highly respected. In my opinion R.S. seems easy at GCSE and at AS. In addition, most of my friends who took R.S. found it easy and obtained A's. I understand that it's not as easy as something like Media studies but it is easier than History or Geography etc
mathew551
:rofl: at everyone who has told you to avoid the AQA spec. Pygmy shrews are evil, after all.

I'm doing the Edexcel spec, and I think it's pretty good. =)

Biology is a fascinating subject for me and my lessons are quite fun. You do need to revise though, there is a lot that is covered in depth. I guess what you want to do is entirely dependent on what you want to study at university/future careers. Biology is, however, a respected subject, and will improve your UCAS/CV nevertheless.

If you want to do it, do it! You could always switch courses anyway. GCSEs aren't too relevant either: A-levels are the real deal.

The thing is that most of the sixth forms and colleges do AQA :frown: bummer. Oh well, i'm thinking of dropping it altogether
FZka
AS biology needs alot of effort and time. I think it's going to be too much if you take it. :frown:

Do you say this because of my subject combination?
suicidaloverbusiness
The thing is that most of the sixth forms and colleges do AQA :frown: bummer. Oh well, i'm thinking of dropping it altogether

Really? Even the ones you're thinking of applying to?
So many negative comments. Have a look at the course content and decide if it's for you. Only you know your ability so it's impossible for anyone to tell you 'it's too hard' or that 'it'll take up too much of your time'. The fact you're doing triple at gcse suggests you have some sort of starting interest and/or ability in the sciences, so there's no reason why you shouldn't consider it tbh. Trust me, if you're anything like me you'll enjoy a break from the arts-y subjects. Good luck. :smile:
suicidaloverbusiness
Ok well it sounds alright. The reason why I stayed away from it was because i'm currently doing my Business Studies GCSE, which I hate btw. I don't mind the exam but I deteste the coursework. Does Economics range in the topics ie it doesn't just concentrate on say the British Government only. Would it allow you explore a range of things? With my Business Studies coursework I have to choose an organisation and write about 100 pages comparing it and contrasting it. It is excruciatingly boring and I wouldn't want to fall into the trap of choosing a new subject and later realising it's not for me.

If I did choose Economics instead of Biology then my options would be as followed:
Maths, History, Economics and R.S/Government and Politics (R.S is chosen for the colleges and sixth forms that do not offer Government and Politics)

To me, that sounds like a good mix. Economics at AS doesn't especially focus on any government, more economic policies &theory.I'm not sure about A2, but i'm guessing its more of the same, but you might not study that far anyway. you do get the opportunities to compare different countries when applying what you know, and we do study the exchange rate on that's effect on economies. there is NO coursework, incase you don't already know... your business studies coursework sounds like ICT coursework! can't be as long as ICT coursework though, that was the beast of all coursework haha- thank god for your years they phased it out, i had no life for 2 years. I loved aqa business studies when i did it at GCSE, i worked really hard on the coursework although it was a bit dull (we had to do a businesss plan, snore) but then again what coursework IS fun? The a-level itself could inspire you to consider other degrees aswell if law doesn't work out for you, whereas it doesn't sound like that would happen with biology. Not many people i know havn't changed their mind about what they wanted to do since they were 16... My best friend infact did a complete U-turn this summer and she's the last person on earth i'd have expected to change her mind. I know a lot of people that have went into law, and not all of them got AAA. two friends are at east anglia with AAB and i know someone else who's on a law BA course (which you can later convert into LLB) with BBB/BBC. I also know someone who's at oxford.. he studied history and maths too :tongue: lol i really do know a lot of law students, so feel free to quiz me.
Reply 36
suicidaloverbusiness
Is the workload a lot for Biology and I mean is it A LOT to the extent that it's affecting say...History (i've heard History requires you to work hard too). Oh and what is your opinion on R.S. - easy? hard? middling?

Biology, as long as you learn things when they're taught, is not a work load heavy as history. History, is the scum of the Earth. R.S, is middling, as the Religon module is the hardest thing ever, but the philosophy module isn't that hard, but still kinda hard if you understand that. But those three A-Levels equate good ones. 'Specially if you enjoy 1 or 2.
Reply 37
suicidaloverbusiness
I know what i'd like to pursue at uni - Law. The subject doesn't require any particular A levels or GCSE's apart from English Language of course. However, I have structured my options around the subject, leaving my choices a bit more open. Biology is a subject that I would enjoy but I think combined with History and more essay based subjects it would highlight difficulties. I'm thinking of not taking Biology because I don't know whether i'll be able to cope with the workload (and I want A's my A levels too). Perhaps, I should take Economics? What do you think? Or maybe even a different science...chemistry?!

Yes your concerns is right cos History requires you to have good memory as well. I know Cambridge like candidates with a mixed background, you got maths and history, which is nice. Law is very competitive, there is a danger of only doing 3 AS(i mean if you take up Biology and found yourself hate it then drop it you will only have 3 AS). I am not sure about your choice of RS. If I were you I will take two science/maths subjects, History then another essay based subject.
AVOID WEAK subjects like IT unless you are taking 5AS. Uni like UCL require 3.5 subjects (AS as the extra 0.5), which means you need 4 AS to start with(so can't drop one until finish AS!). Though I am not sure whether they require that for law. Regardless of difficulty, i think Economics is clearly a better choice than Biology for Law. As it involves more analysis/comment type of things. If you do not do Chemistry, it automatically means you lose all chances of getting into medic. I don't know about your ability and I didn't do it for ALevel so can't comment on it. But my presumption would be: biology is most difficult, then chemistry, then economics. For you, it could be different, the best way is to go onto the exam board's websites and have a look at past papers. the answers of"how difficult" vary a lot- everyone is different, very different. You'll get all kind of answers and will only get confused. Have a look at the past paper, it will answer your questions right away.

another important thing to consider is coursework workload. it's vital. Doing more than one coursework at the same time will get you into a very difficult position, the deadlines are more or less the same. it's very stressful, believe me.
so NEVER take two subjects BOTH require hugh amount of coursework. History is literally a coursework subject, and it's likely for the case of Biology and Chemistry(though depends on Exam board) and i am not sure about Economics, anyone?
mathew551
Really? Even the ones you're thinking of applying to?

yep, life is so unfair
jjackson18624
To me, that sounds like a good mix. Economics at AS doesn't especially focus on any government, more economic policies &theory.I'm not sure about A2, but i'm guessing its more of the same, but you might not study that far anyway. you do get the opportunities to compare different countries when applying what you know, and we do study the exchange rate on that's effect on economies. there is NO coursework, incase you don't already know... your business studies coursework sounds like ICT coursework! can't be as long as ICT coursework though, that was the beast of all coursework haha- thank god for your years they phased it out, i had no life for 2 years. I loved aqa business studies when i did it at GCSE, i worked really hard on the coursework although it was a bit dull (we had to do a businesss plan, snore) but then again what coursework IS fun? The a-level itself could inspire you to consider other degrees aswell if law doesn't work out for you, whereas it doesn't sound like that would happen with biology. Not many people i know havn't changed their mind about what they wanted to do since they were 16... My best friend infact did a complete U-turn this summer and she's the last person on earth i'd have expected to change her mind. I know a lot of people that have went into law, and not all of them got AAA. two friends are at east anglia with AAB and i know someone else who's on a law BA course (which you can later convert into LLB) with BBB/BBC. I also know someone who's at oxford.. he studied history and maths too :tongue: lol i really do know a lot of law students, so feel free to quiz me.

Lol yeah it looks like you know a lot about law. Don't be surprised if I bombard you with loads of PM's. Your the one who offered lol. Anyway back to the thread. Well I took I.T. at GCSE and it's completely coursework based, no exams at all and tbh I love it. I.T. is probably my favourite subject after Maths.

Also, I don't do AQA with business studies (Edexcel is my board) the coursework isn't something small, it can be 200 pages altogether. I really hate it. I might choose but I still inclined to choose a science, I don't know why I just do. I'm thinking of chemistry now. Any comments?

Latest