Turn on thread page Beta

AS level options - don't know if I should take Biology!!!!!!! help!!!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suicidaloverbusiness)
    I'm thinking of chemistry now. Any comments?
    Chemistry is a good, highly respected and versatile (more so than Biology)choice :yep: My chemistry teacher has taught over 30 current/ graduate law students - very good, mathematical/ logical choice.

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeah it looks like you know a lot about law. Don't be surprised if I bombard you with loads of PM's. Your the one who offered lol. Anyway back to the thread. Well I took I.T. at GCSE and it's completely coursework based, no exams at all and tbh I love it. I.T. is probably my favourite subject after Maths.

Also, I don't do AQA with business studies (Edexcel is my board) the coursework isn't something small, it can be 200 pages altogether. I really hate it. I might choose but I still inclined to choose a science, I don't know why I just do. I'm thinking of chemistry now. Any comments?
    surprised you find your business coursework beefy if your doing a gcse consisting of entirely coursework? tbh, that DOES sound a bit lot dragged out, no wonder your finding it boring, youve probably ran out of things to say and are repeating yourself like 3times lol. i never did edexel so i have no idea what its like, i just know AQA was good, we only did 30pages for your coursework max. I don't think you should judge economics on your bad business studies experience, you should have a chat with the economics teacher at your school.

&OMG no no no no no chemistry i'd rather commit sucide than do chemistry agian that was the biggest mistake of my life. in my case i had to do an insane amount of work, even after revising after school which i never normally do, and still only came out with a C :l (i dropped it). i just didn't have the chemistry 'gift' lol. i was good at the theory side of it, that was really intresting, but when it came to MOD2+3 and they started throwing loads of formulas at you like there's no tomorrow i just died inside. saying that NO-ONE in my class found it a breeze, we all had to work our socks off..it's meant to be the hardest a-level, second only to physics perhaps, or so the word went at my sixth form. Don't get me wrong, for the most part i enjoyed chemistry because it was challenging and intresting, but not a good choice if you want to be sure of A's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    surprised you find your business coursework beefy if your doing a gcse consisting of entirely coursework? tbh, that DOES sound a bit lot dragged out, no wonder your finding it boring, youve probably ran out of things to say and are repeating yourself like 3times lol. i never did edexel so i have no idea what its like, i just know AQA was good, we only did 30pages for your coursework max. I don't think you should judge economics on your bad business studies experience, you should have a chat with the economics teacher at your school.

&OMG no no no no no chemistry i'd rather commit sucide than do chemistry agian that was the biggest mistake of my life. in my case i had to do an insane amount of work, even after revising after school which i never normally do, and still only came out with a C :l (i dropped it). i just didn't have the chemistry 'gift' lol. i was good at the theory side of it, that was really intresting, but when it came to MOD2+3 and they started throwing loads of formulas at you like there's no tomorrow i just died inside. saying that NO-ONE in my class found it a breeze, we all had to work our socks off..it's meant to be the hardest a-level, second only to physics perhaps, or so the word went at my sixth form. Don't get me wrong, for the most part i enjoyed chemistry because it was challenging and intresting, but not a good choice if you want to be sure of A's.
    Oooook...perhaps chemistry won't be such a good choice after all lol. But if I don't choose a single science then doesn't that rule out all medical related jobs (incase i'm not successful in Law that is). I just feel like triple award is such a waste if I don't take a science because I could have achieved 2 A*s in double award so easily and in separate sciences I'm getting 3 As only - a bit disappointing really. Ok well, I think I need to get over this barrier of NEEDING to do a science because i'll be needing those As for Law especially if I want to go to a decent uni. Maybe Economics is the way forward. Btw I have had a chat with two of my teachers who did Economics at degree level but my school doesn't offer Economics. The thing is that the teachers I talked to didn't take the subject at A level and just told me the same kind of thing - graphs, essay ish answers, macro/micro economics etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oooook...perhaps chemistry won't be such a good choice after all lol. But if I don't choose a single science then doesn't that rule out all medical related jobs (incase i'm not successful in Law that is). I just feel like triple award is such a waste if I don't take a science because I could have achieved 2 A*s in double award so easily and in separate sciences I'm getting 3 As only - a bit disappointing really. Ok well, I think I need to get over this barrier of NEEDING to do a science because i'll be needing those As for Law especially if I want to go to a decent uni. Maybe Economics is the way forward. Btw I have had a chat with two of my teachers who did Economics at degree level but my school doesn't offer Economics. The thing is that the teachers I talked to didn't take the subject at A level and just told me the same kind of thing - graphs, essay ish answers, macro/micro economics etc.

oh, i see, are you planning on going to a different school for sixth or not? or were you thinking of home studying, if you did choose to do economics? lol, thats exactly why i took chemistry, to keep my doors open, but i regret it now. its tough, but you need to be more decisive about what your gonna do early on so you can take the easiest route if you understand me. otherwise theres a lot of blood sweat and tears for nothing. gl with whatever you decide in the end.

ReputationRep:
    oh, i see, are you planning on going to a different school for sixth or not? or were you thinking of home studying, if you did choose to do economics? lol, thats exactly why i took chemistry, to keep my doors open, but i regret it now. its tough, but you need to be more decisive about what your gonna do early on so you can take the easiest route if you understand me. otherwise theres a lot of blood sweat and tears for nothing. gl with whatever you decide in the end.
    Yep I am definitely planning on going to a different sixth form. I guess it would be alright if I choose all arts sujects (apart from maths) because currently I don't want to change my career path. Too many people have warned me about taking a science subject at A level, including my sister, so i'm just going to scrap it. I only ever wanted to do Biology and that doesn't seem like an option anymore. My new options are now: Maths, History, Economics and R.S or Government and Politics (R.S is chooing for those sixth forms that don't offer Government and Politics). What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Yep I am definitely planning on going to a different sixth form. I guess it would be alright if I choose all arts sujects (apart from maths) because currently I don't want to change my career path. Too many people have warned me about taking a science subject at A level, including my sister, so i'm just going to scrap it. I only ever wanted to do Biology and that doesn't seem like an option anymore. My new options are now: Maths, History, Economics and R.S or Government and Politics (R.S is chooing for those sixth forms that don't offer Government and Politics). What do you think?
    yeah that sounds like a plan, those subjects can get you into a variety of courses anyway! you could go into business, IR, accounting and finance, economics, politics, history,maths, theology, archaeology, philosophy, psychology, sociology, anthropology ect ect besides from law.. its just the core sciences your blocking yourself from, but do you really WANT to do sciences anyway? maybe your choosing arts for a reason. But anyway, worst come to worst, if you suddenly decided after doing your AS levels that biology was the career path for you, you could always just apply for uni a year later and do biology in a gap year or something and in the meanwhile you'd have a good set of a-levels to boost your application. when your summer exams come around in year 12 you'll be glad your workload isn't as big as it could have been, i wish i could rewind two years and pick the right a-levels! A-level choices pale into insignificance once you've done your degree btw, so don't worry that far ahead.

ReputationRep:
    yeah that sounds like a plan, those subjects can get you into a variety of courses anyway! you could go into business, IR, accounting and finance, economics, politics, history,maths, theology, archaeology, philosophy, psychology, sociology, anthropology ect ect besides from law.. its just the core sciences your blocking yourself from, but do you really WANT to do sciences anyway? maybe your choosing arts for a reason. But anyway, worst come to worst, if you suddenly decided after doing your AS levels that biology was the career path for you, you could always just apply for uni a year later and do biology in a gap year or something and in the meanwhile you'd have a good set of a-levels to boost your application. when your summer exams come around in year 12 you'll be glad your workload isn't as big as it could have been, i wish i could rewind two years and pick the right a-levels! A-level choices pale into insignificance once you've done your degree btw, so don't worry that far ahead.
    So what subjects did you actually choose? and what degree did you do

ReputationRep:
    So what subjects did you actually choose? and what degree did you do
    its partly written on my account. I've applied for Bussiness/Management, but it looks like i'll most probably be doing Business at Durham at this stage. I'm hoping to get a job in Investment Banking (it's gonna be tough). I did Biology I.c.t and psychology at a level then chemistry and critical thinking at AS too. I regret taking i.c.t in a way because there was so much work for the coursework (which they have now fazed out:mad:). At A2 i spent like a week not sleeping to get it finished, i was dead afterwards i don't know how i passed any of my exams. overall for the entire a-level i probably ended up doing 500+pages of coursework, someone warned me about the coursework but i didnt really listen. Then obviously i regret biology because it only got me a B and was a lot of work. Psychology was a big stress because i couldn't finish one of the exams quite severely at AS, but i don't think i'd change that one because it got me an A in the end and i quite enjoyed it. I wouldnt do chemistry either lol. Basically i'd change nearly all of them ! It would've been nice to do history because i loved that at GCSE and my strengths were always more in humanities, instead for some strange reason i wanted to be 'adventurous' and choose some sciences, don't know what i was thinking hehe. In the end i've went back to what i was best at during my GCSEs, which was business!

If your not aware of it already, have a look on http://www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u/ there's a lot of helpful information on there about a variety of careers.

ReputationRep:
    its partly written on my account. I've applied for Bussiness/Management, but it looks like i'll most probably be doing Business at Durham at this stage. I'm hoping to get a job in Investment Banking (it's gonna be tough). I did Biology I.c.t and psychology at a level then chemistry and critical thinking at AS too. I regret taking i.c.t in a way because there was so much work for the coursework (which they have now fazed out:mad:). At A2 i spent like a week not sleeping to get it finished, i was dead afterwards i don't know how i passed any of my exams. overall for the entire a-level i probably ended up doing 500+pages of coursework, someone warned me about the coursework but i didnt really listen. Then obviously i regret biology because it only got me a B and was a lot of work. Psychology was a big stress because i couldn't finish one of the exams quite severely at AS, but i don't think i'd change that one because it got me an A in the end and i quite enjoyed it. I wouldnt do chemistry either lol. Basically i'd change nearly all of them ! It would've been nice to do history because i loved that at GCSE and my strengths were always more in humanities, instead for some strange reason i wanted to be 'adventurous' and choose some sciences, don't know what i was thinking hehe. In the end i've went back to what i was best at during my GCSEs, which was business!

If your not aware of it already, have a look on http://www.connexions-direct.com/jobs4u/ there's a lot of helpful information on there about a variety of careers.
    ok well i'm pretty sure that your experience of business was much better than mine lol. I have heard of connexions and I often visit my careers advisiors at school (connexions people basically) and well...ask for advice. I'm pretty sure of what I want to do in life, it's just A level choices can't be wrong because I know that i'll struggle if I don't like the subject half way through the AS. I'm going to finalise my options and then send off my applications. By finalising I mean talk to my teachers and advisors in my school to help me come to a decision. Thanks anyway for your help. Can I PM you if I need more help?

ReputationRep:
    ok well i'm pretty sure that your experience of business was much better than mine lol. I have heard of connexions and I often visit my careers advisiors at school (connexions people basically) and well...ask for advice. I'm pretty sure of what I want to do in life, it's just A level choices can't be wrong because I know that i'll struggle if I don't like the subject half way through the AS. I'm going to finalise my options and then send off my applications. By finalising I mean talk to my teachers and advisors in my school to help me come to a decision. Thanks anyway for your help. Can I PM you if I need more help?
    personally me and connexions advisors never got on but that sites useful.. and yeah of course, i can tell you what i've heard.

ReputationRep:
    personally me and connexions advisors never got on but that sites useful.. and yeah of course, i can tell you what i've heard.
    lol you didn't get on with your advisors lol. thanks anyway

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.