Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So I've just gotten my offer from Aber and I'm gonna have to decide on accommodation because once i put it down as my firm choice we have to choose right?

i'd like self-catered and ensuite preferably
    i went to the uni open day and i particularly like Cwt Mawr or Rosser, but my mom tells me the renovated another place, is it called Trevloyn or something?

what do you guys think is the best accomodation? I'm gonna be studying Psychology & Marketing if that makes any difference.

ReputationRep:
    Cwrt Mawr, Trefloyne and Rosser are all pretty much the same self catered, flats of 6-10ish, but Rosser is the only one with en-suite.

I was in Rosser in my first year, lovely big kitchens! (much bigger than cwrt mawr and trefloyne). But otherwise, yeah, they are all pretty similar. Trefloyne has been recently refurbished and I've heard its quite nice, but to be honest all the accom's are in pretty good nick so it doenst make too much difference.

also..I'm also doing marketing in my third year now

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I'm a cwrt mawr-ian through and through.

Personally, Rosser is incredibly overrated. The kitchens are nice (but the same in Trefloyne - apparently Tref has sofas now!) but the bathroom makes your room a LOT smaller and you pay a lot more. I have never had any problems sharing toilets/showers with people in shared accommodation. Tref is slightly further up the hill though! (I do mean slightly... about 100/150m? But it's a HILL!)

Cwrt Mawr was great. Pretty much the same as T, but T has sofas now, and slightly bigger kitchens/slightly less people (I think).

In general though, at the time I thought the catered halls were a bit naff, but looking back you met a huge amount of people and Penbryn kitchen still serves some of the nicest food you can get in Aber - I really should get dinner there more often than going to Beechings/Varsity (although nice, not as cheap or... well, delicious!) and you get massive portions.

I know absolutely sod all about Pantycelyn - still never been in there, but if you're not a Welsh speaker, then you won't be put there unless you really want to be.

PJM is nice, but very isolating. You only really meet your housemates and there's a lot more noise control.

I've never hung out in Seafront or Brynderw particularly - they're ok seeming, nearer town which is good for some things, but a little run-down. Nowt wrong with them though - for the past two years I've chosen to live in town because it's easier, with better access to shops/pubs/seaside. That said, most of my lessons are down the hill, because I took art/english.

ReputationRep:
    From what ive saw even though penbryn is catered i would choose that know looking back, awesome food.

im staying in Brynderw(not out of choice, it was my 10th choice :/) but would say i was adament that i wanted ensuit when i came to aber, but not having it is no where near as bad as id thought it would be.

So on the basis u want self catered cwrt mawr is the one id most reccomend,

put bryderw as one of your bottom choices, that bloody hill will become you enemy :P

ReputationRep:
    If I end up going to Aber I'm having a hard time choosing. I have a thing about privacy, and would really want en-suite. Although I've looked at Rosser, I actually quite like the look of the Seafront residences/Alexandra hall that has en-suite. My only worry is how far it is from penglais campus. Anyone got any advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmidtdude)
    So I've just gotten my offer from Aber and I'm gonna have to decide on accommodation because once i put it down as my firm choice we have to choose right?

i'd like self-catered and ensuite preferably
    i went to the uni open day and i particularly like Cwt Mawr or Rosser, but my mom tells me the renovated another place, is it called Trevloyn or something?

what do you guys think is the best accomodation? I'm gonna be studying Psychology & Marketing if that makes any difference.
    Rosser is the only ones that are ensuite. You do get an incredibly small room as a result though, however you do get better heating and also a heated towel rack.

The kitchen layout in Rosser tend to be better as well, a straight open plan rather than an L-shape in some of the halls. Makes for better lighting and also a way better environment to study at. Another advantage is in some of the Rosser kitchens, you may be able to access the Wireless network from the Rosser Lounge.

Trefvloyn..however it is spelt, it is recently refurbished, I would not say it is fantastic, the kitchens are smaller and yes it does have a sofa. The other thing that is nice about Tref is many of them have nice unobstructed views. Heating is by time control as well, can be cold according to people who live in them now.

Cwrt Mawr. Most rooms are about 5 years old now, you do get your own sink in the room, which is not a universal thing in all the halls. Heating is timed and you only get heat for short hours of the day... can be very cold at nights. Especially when we had that major arctic freeze a few weeks ago. One good thing about CM is the toilets and showers though not ensuite, they are separated and it is seldom the case that you would need to wait. Rooms are decent sized, some are bigger than others. Furnishings are about the same quality as they are in Rosser or Tref.

All halls have 8 rooms, with the exception fo CM which have a few that are 10 per flat.

PJM, it can be a far walk.........and last year we had a sexual assault case there.... some of the units are quite isolated and you literrally have a forest to walk through to get to your home. Do enquire about the heating on them as some of them don't have hot water all day long either, in any case it is seldom the case that 1st years are given PJM as it is primarily meant for 3rd years or grad students.

Seafront, I would not stay here.

Bryndarew.......I would not stay here either.

Pentacelyn... this one is an impressive building, but you need to be a Welsh speaker to survive there, seem to be a hotspot for all the future Welsh nationalist. All announcements or notices are usually in Welsh, so if you do not understand Welsh......tough luck. Is going to be closed soon if I understand the news correctly, not sure if it is just for the summer or for the next year....... rooms are somewhat worn, has a few rather "undignified" areas especially the showers which had mold......yuck.

Pembryn, it isn't bad. Fully catered, though it has a kitchenette, usually extremely filthy :P

Food wise, both the catered accomodation have foods from the same source.

If you insist on eating there, it is actually not that much difference if you top up £300-400 per semester on your loyalty card. It would be plenty to eat. Some good foods, especially the Monday roast lunch which is what I am going to have this Monday

Personally speaking, I don't can't see myself paying that extra money for Rosser, just for that privy of having an ensuite, but if you are a clean freak or you really cannot tolerate sharing a toilet, then by all means go for it, you will be surprised how dirty some people can get. Got 2 in my flat now that urghhhh...... leaves his **** stains on the bowl and seat every time, then got another fellow from China who urinates on the toilet seat and floor all the time.

Having said that, a good flat is dependent upon how good your flatmates are. If you are unlucky, you may get some terrible boys/girls who don't clean up after themselves and makes the entire flat one of the biggest skip you ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTstudies)
    If I end up going to Aber I'm having a hard time choosing. I have a thing about privacy, and would really want en-suite. Although I've looked at Rosser, I actually quite like the look of the Seafront residences/Alexandra hall that has en-suite. My only worry is how far it is from penglais campus. Anyone got any advice?
    About 10-15 mins walk up a steep hill

Alternatively about 3 mins to the bus stop and a 3 mins bus ride.

You can ride all the buses you want in town for £33 a year.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the responses guys!

im sort of leaning towards either Cwrt Mawr or Rosser...hmmm

ReputationRep:
    I stayed in CM last night - it was boiling! Heating on all night!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmarainbow)
    I stayed in CM last night - it was boiling! Heating on all night!
    Which block did you stay in that had heating on all night?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest Rosser really isn't worth the extra money. The best thing about it is that it has a massive kitchen, once you've shared with people for a few weeks you realise that en-suite isn't really worth it. Plus by the time you are in your second year you will have to share anyway!

I'm in Cwrt Mawr at the moment and think its great. Rooms are decent size, and sink in the room. I share 2 toilets and 2 showers between 8 people, which is good, I've never had to wait for a shower or toilet. From what I can gather Trefloyne is like Rosser but without the en-suite, and I think they get massive rooms!

If my friend's PJM house is anything to go by it isn't really anything special. His house has had loads of problems, like the fridge not working, the heating and hot water have stopped working and the cupboard doors are pretty much falling off.

Penbryn (or Pengrim as some call it!) isn't that good in my opinion. I don't think the catering system is as good as catered halls at other universities. You get enough money a day for one major meal. So you have to get the rest of your food from elsewhere, although the food at TaMed is rather tasty! You share a floor with loads of people, so you get to meet loads of people and there will be people you will get on with, but at the same time I've heard that because the floors are so big that you don't really get to know everyone!

I don't really know much about Pantycelyn or Seafront residences other than what the university says!

Cwrt Mawr is the best though!

ReputationRep:
    In terms of PJM it's luck of the draw really, houses 1-50(I think) have been refurbished with a new kitchen etc. But I wouldn't want to stay there as a first year - it's too quiet and you probably won't meet that many people out of your house.

If you don't want the bother of cooking, and don't mind living with lots of people, then Penbryn, but Cwrt Mawr is a good choice (albeit some blocks are better than others in terms of layout/more recently refurbed etc).

ReputationRep:
    Which has the biggest rooms?
    I'm not that bothered about en-suite or anything like that I would prefer a reasonable size room though. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Which block did you stay in that had heating on all night?
    E ^_^

(Original post by A Magician)
    I don't think the catering system is as good as catered halls at other universities. You get enough money a day for one major meal.
    It's the most expensive meal though. If you get cheaper ones, you can get two, and I've had a £2.50 lunch-theatre (or whatever they call it?) wrap which I was expecting to be a snack - there was so much chicken and salad and onion dolloped in my plate-sized wrap I could only just make the edges meet - like a pastie. Massive meal. I've had one of the mains before that kept me filled for days. Everyone I knew who lived in PenB ate really well and put on loads of weight - even the ones with loads of money left on their cards at the end of the year! All you need is cereal/toast and you're covered for food there. The only annoying thing is Sundays - the kitchen closes at 2, so if you sleep in it doesn't work.

(Original post by SiobhanC)
    Most of them are reasonably sized, but not huge. Potluck usually. I'd say you that you can wangle a better one if you're lucky - I said under special circumstances on my form that I was an art student so I'd prefer a large window for light - got one of the massive window seat rooms in CMawr! Score!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiobhanC)
    I'm not that bothered about en-suite or anything like that I would prefer a reasonable size room though. :yep:
    Unless you get Rosser, most rooms are very similar in size.

In my CMawr flat, the corner rooms are much bigger than the middle rooms, but the disadvantage is you can hear the noises from the kitchen in particular the door ajar alarm which can be pretty annoying. The other end of the corner, you get to hear elephant trampling up a stairs noise as your blockmates come up and down the stairs while screaming their lungs out.

Ohhhh.. I must add too.... some rooms while they may be big in square footage, they can be long but rather narrow...so you end up the same

IMHO, bigger rooms are found in Cwrt Mawr and Pembryn. Smallest is obviously Rosser and many of Pentacyln rooms are quite small as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    In terms of PJM it's luck of the draw really, houses 1-50(I think) have been refurbished with a new kitchen etc. But I wouldn't want to stay there as a first year - it's too quiet and you probably won't meet that many people out of your house.

If you don't want the bother of cooking, and don't mind living with lots of people, then Penbryn, but Cwrt Mawr is a good choice (albeit some blocks are better than others in terms of layout/more recently refurbed etc).
    Well if you stay in Cwrt Mawr, you do get 1 benefit, that it is close by the the CK's grocerry store and a fish and chips shop Too bad it does not open late.

Personally speaking, I would not bother with Pembryn, the density of people is just too high and it can be noisy as well. Some rooms you can hear traffic noises. Worst is when there is some chav mobile going up the hill. Plus urghhhh the building looks like a tenament block of council flats inhibited by low class or chavs Only thing missing (for now at least) is the graffiti.

Having said that, the food they serve at Tameda is pretty good, especially the roast meals on Monday. (The only exception being the turkey) Quite cheap as well, when compared to other universities. The other thing that is pretty good is the Arts Centre Cafe.

ReputationRep:
    Judging by all the responses, I think I'll go with Cwrt Mawr thanks a lot guys!!

just once more question,
    when i come to study in september, will i be staying with all first years? or will it be a little bit of a mix?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    Unless you get Rosser, most rooms are very similar in size.

In my CMawr flat, the corner rooms are much bigger than the middle rooms, but the disadvantage is you can hear the noises from the kitchen in particular the door ajar alarm which can be pretty annoying. The other end of the corner, you get to hear elephant trampling up a stairs noise as your blockmates come up and down the stairs while screaming their lungs out.

Ohhhh.. I must add too.... some rooms while they may be big in square footage, they can be long but rather narrow...so you end up the same

IMHO, bigger rooms are found in Cwrt Mawr and Pembryn. Smallest is obviously Rosser and many of Pentacyln rooms are quite small as well.
    My Penbryn room was bigger (squarer?) than my CM room. However, the CM one was alot better designed in terms of giving you loads of storage and a massive desk that ran along the side of the room (not sure if they're all like that?), had a nice bay window thing too. There was just about enough furniture in Penbryn, but I bought some shelves for extra storage, though bear in mind there have been changes to this since the refurbishment.

In terms of traffic noise I was in block 5 Penbryn (the brick one) so a fair way away from the road. Obviously its down to luck where you get put, the new CM blocks (formerly part of Penbryn) are fairly close to the road too, but it should be better now everything is double glazed.

And yes, totally agree about the door alarms!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmidtdude)
    Judging by all the responses, I think I'll go with Cwrt Mawr thanks a lot guys!!

just once more question,
    when i come to study in september, will i be staying with all first years? or will it be a little bit of a mix?
    You might get the odd other person, but its most likely you'll be with all first years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomc87)
    You might get the odd other person, but its most likely you'll be with all first years.
    okay good to know

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 26, 2010

University open days

1. Aberystwyth University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  2. Aberystwyth University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 13 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.