Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just signed up for the organ donation register.

Just wondering if any other people have, and what they think about it?

Personally, I won't be using the organs when I die, so others are welcome to give them a go.
    I do find the though of my eyes being donated a bit odd though.....

Delightful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JammyDodger4)
    I just signed up for the organ donation register.

Just wondering if any other people have, and what they think about it?

Personally, I won't be using the organs when I die, so others are welcome to give them a go.
    I do find the though of my eyes being donated a bit odd though.....

Delightful.
    I have and no it's not creepy. The vast majority of people would accept an organ of someone so the vast majoirty should be willing to donate theirs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    I have and no it's not creepy. The vast majority of people would accept an organ of someone so the vast majoirty should be willing to donate theirs.
    I am more than willing and happy to donate.

However, do you not find the thought of a part of you in someone else a bit strange?

ReputationRep:
    I signed up. Didn't check the box for eyes though. They come with me.

ReputationRep:

However, do you not find the thought of a part of you in someone else a bit strange?
    Innuendo much?

ReputationRep:

Nope, I study biology at uni though so I'm aware of the mechanisms of the body, its more of a machine than an emotionally linked object at the moment (As I'm surrently cramming for exams, not always! :p: )

But generally I wouldn't anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Innuendo much?
    Ha, I realised after writing, but lack the energy to edit!

ReputationRep:
    Ha, I realised after writing, but lack the energy to edit!
    Editing at this stage would deprive the world of the awesomeness of the statement. Great avatar btw, Zoolander ftw. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Editing at this stage would deprive the world of the awesomeness of the statement. Great avatar btw, Zoolander ftw. :cool:
    My tiredness is a blessing.
    Ah, thanks, if i had any rep to give, your appreciation of zoolander would merit it.
    Bravo!

ReputationRep:

Personally I find it comforting to think that if I die tomorrow then my body will be used to give others a new lease of life.

ReputationRep:
    No sentimental ********. If my eyes can help someone else see, why not?

ReputationRep:
    Innuendo much?
    Inyourendo

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I am totally for the idea, but I have issues with the claims that some paramedics let a car accident victim die b/c they'd get a bonus for collecting her organs. But I don't think that is a common occurrence.

Do you choose certain parts when you sign up? Here you just say yes and it's a free-for-all when it comes to what they use.

ReputationRep:
    They can take what they want except my heart.

I don't want to sign the register. Whatever I don't know can't hurt me. I don't want to know/imagine what's going to get chopped out of my torso, put in vans and thrown in to other people's torsos after I die please.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a very good idea. If you're dead you don't need them so why not help someone else to live. You can help many people, even children who otherwise wouldn't even have a shot at life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    They can take what they want except my heart.

I don't want to sign the register. Whatever I don't know can't hurt me. I don't want to know/imagine what's going to get chopped out of my torso, put in vans and thrown in to other people's torsos after I die please.
    Why not your heart specifically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNack)
    Why not your heart specifically?
    I don't know. Just a thing. If I ever needed a heart transplant and was offered one, I would decline it. Same goes for donating my own.

It is selfish but just an unexplainable feeling. It needs to stay in my body.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean about the eyes, and I did find the idea a little creepy when I was checking the boxes, but in the end I couldn't bring myself to keep my eyes after I'm dead, it just seems so selfish when they could save somebody else's sight. I find it unlikely that whole eyeballs would be transplanted, I expect they're more after donated retinas and other component parts of the eye.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know. Just a thing. If I ever needed a heart transplant and was offered one, I would decline it. Same goes for donating my own.

You would die for the sake of a vague, unexplainable feeling that hearts should not be transplanted?

(Original post by Jennybean)
    I know what you mean about the eyes, and I did find the idea a little creepy when I was checking the boxes, but in the end I couldn't bring myself to keep my eyes after I'm dead, it just seems so selfish when they could save somebody else's sight. I find it unlikely that whole eyeballs would be transplanted, I expect they're more after donated retinas and other component parts of the eye.
    As far as I know, the only part they can use is the cornea, so its not like someone will be walking round after you're gone with your complete eye.

Easy to say sat comfortably at your computer.

You would likely havea different opinion if even lifting your arm to type left you exhausted, and lying flat caused your lungs to fill with fluid and you to drown all because your heart is buggered.

If you get to that stage and still have the same opinion then I will believe you.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.