Turn on thread page Beta

Men's Daily Calorie Intake... 2,000 or 2,500 Calories? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've just recently noticed that the "Men's" section on calorie intake on pretty much all packets I see have changed from 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day.

What gives? I mean, adding 500 calories a day from 2,000 is a high jump don't you think? Which sciense brain head decided to change that to 2,500?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Hi,

I've just recently noticed that the "Men's" section on calorie intake on pretty much all packets I see have changed from 2,000 to 2,500 calories a day.

What gives? I mean, adding 500 calories a day from 2,000 is a high jump don't you think? Which sciense brain head decided to change that to 2,500?
    Sometimes it says "Adults" 2,000 calories so.... lol

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't it always 2000 for women and 2500 for men. Who cares anyway, just eat what you want.

ReputationRep:
    the 2000 is for women.

but you are right to some degree, apparently the calories are wrong:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...y-healthy.html

ReputationRep:
    It's 2500

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've been intaking no more then 2,000 calories a day, sometimes a little over. At the end of the day, I put on weight. I've been calorie counting like a fag ever since new years day and noticed I've put on close to half a kilo.

So if it was 2,500, what the hell gives?

ReputationRep:
    I do have a question thats been on my mind for some time though. I'm looking at the back of a pringles pack right now. The full sized ones. It says 500 calories per 100grams, that means 750 calories for the whole pack.

If I ate 3 packs of these (hyperthetically) and not ate anything else during the day, does that mean I will not gain any weight?

Something just dosn't add up right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Well, I've been intaking no more then 2,000 calories a day, sometimes a little over. At the end of the day, I put on weight. I've been calorie counting like a fag ever since new years day and noticed I've put on close to half a kilo.

Remember it is an estimate, some people are different and require less calories per day whilst sedentary and some need more. You should calculate your BMR and use a Harriet and Benedict Equation to see roughly how much calories you need per day.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

When you find that out just decrease that number by 500 for weight loss. Hopefully that'll help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    Remember it is an estimate, some people are different and require less calories per day whilst sedentary and some need more. You should calculate your BMR and use a Harriet and Benedict Equation to see roughly how much calories you need per day.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-ca...dict-equation/

When you find that out just decrease that number by 500 for weight loss. Hopefully that'll help you.
    Hi, thanks for the links. It says I need 2,501 calories a day. So taking of 500 means 2,000 calories. Yet, some days I only consume around 1,600 at most yet I'm still gaining weight at the end of the month. Even if it was half a kilo, I still gained it.

Again, something just don't seem right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Hi, thanks for the links. It says I need 2,501 calories a day. So taking of 500 means 2,000 calories. Yet, some days I only consume around 1,600 at most yet I'm still gaining weight at the end of the month. Even if it was half a kilo, I still gained it.

Hmm that is weird. The problem may be that you are not calorie counting properly it happens to loads of people without realising. I was being a bit lazy and I read the cereal box and it said it was about 170 calories with milk. Then when I finally measured the amount I ate, it was actually around 500 calories!
    So sometimes if your not measuring things/taking into consideration the little things like spreads,drinks etc it could easily mess up your calorie intake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    Hmm that is weird. The problem may be that you are not calorie counting properly it happens to loads of people without realising. I was being a bit lazy and I read the cereal box and it said it was about 170 calories with milk. Then when I finally measured the amount I ate, it was actually around 500 calories!
    So sometimes if your not measuring things/taking into consideration the little things like spreads,drinks etc it could easily mess up your calorie intake.
    Aww, I see. That could also be. Hmm. I mean, on the side of my cornflakes it says 370 with milk per 100 grams (500g pack) so useally a big bowl is around 100 grams seen as I can get around 5 bowls out of it. So it can't be the cornflakes.

Other then that, everything else I eat I always round it up to the nearest 10 or 100 just to be on the safe side. i.e a packet of chrips 87 calories. I would count that as 100 calories just to be safe.

Still no luck, and this sux!! I really thought I could shed a few kilos by now. Meh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    I do have a question thats been on my mind for some time though. I'm looking at the back of a pringles pack right now. The full sized ones. It says 500 calories per 100grams, that means 750 calories for the whole pack.

If I ate 3 packs of these (hyperthetically) and not ate anything else during the day, does that mean I will not gain any weight?

Something just dosn't add up right...

its not just calories you have to take into account with regards to wait gain/loss

you could be within your daily allowance of cals and still put on weight if what you ate was very high in fat/carbs etc

basically the best thing to do is work out your BMR and go from there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)

your first mistake is weighing yourself at the end of the day

you should weigh first thing in the morning, after youve been for a ****/piss and before anything to eat/drink and naked if you can of with as few clothes as possible

and only do it ONCE a week, theres no need to do it more than that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Aww, I see. That could also be. Hmm. I mean, on the side of my cornflakes it says 370 with milk per 100 grams (500g pack) so useally a big bowl is around 100 grams seen as I can get around 5 bowls out of it. So it can't be the cornflakes.

Other then that, everything else I eat I always round it up to the nearest 10 or 100 just to be on the safe side. i.e a packet of chrips 87 calories. I would count that as 100 calories just to be safe.

Still no luck, and this sux!! I really thought I could shed a few kilos by now. Meh.
    Just eat healthily if you want to lose weight??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    its not just calories you have to take into account with regards to wait gain/loss

you could be within your daily allowance of cals and still put on weight if what you ate was very high in fat/carbs etc
    I can't help but feel that conservation of energy would disagree with that.

(Original post by Mrvn)

Well what do you weigh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joseph1991)
    Just eat healthily if you want to lose weight??
    Well no, if you eat like a horse even if it is health you will probably put on weight.

You need a calorie deficit to lose weight (ie burn more than you consume)

In theory this could be done by eating the prerequisite amount of calories in lard. But that would not be a healthy way to go about it (will not get right micro-nutrients etc.)

Best way is to eat the right amount of healthy food.

Or there is always that thing called exercise people forget about...

ReputationRep:
    depends on how active you are. I have about 3000 a day but i run for at least 40mins a day, I do MMA 3 times a week, lift weights and I walk everwhere

ReputationRep:
    2,000 ... 2,5000

Who cares? You'll put on weight if you're not active.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    I can't think how that could be the case.

Calories are calories regardless of where they come from... it's just a unit of energy, and so should need the same amount of activity to expend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    Sorry for being a bit picky but that's almost definitely the value without milk. The value with milk is a fair bit more, probably around 600kcal.

I've been having the gaining/not losing weight despite not thinking i'm overeating, so i'm trying to work it out too. I went to the gym for an hour 4 times a week & a half hour walk 5 times for a couple of months and only lost about 2lbs which was a bit depressing.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.