Turn on thread page Beta

Can taking ecstasy once mess you up for life? (long read) watch

5 years ago I had a family member murdered, sent me on a downwards spiral but I was still normal for 2 years after and gradually got better.

Around November 2006 I had a weeks half term thing(not sure what they call it at college) and slept about 16 hours a day for the 10 days(since I had the weekend too)

But still I felt normal just not perfect

I also gained about 2 stone in a month but nothing else.

Then I moved in with a friend Febuary 2007 and whom had bad depression since he lost his job 2 weeks later and jobcentre wouldnt pay him more than £25 a week so he got loads of arrears, and his mood was made worse since the jobcentre was nasty to him and called him lazy and making excuses, also our flat had loose tiles so ended up getting massive lumps of mould on walls and water and we both had pretty much permanent colds.

I started smoking some horrible weed with him around this time, a £20 bit would last 2 of us 4-5 days as we werent big smokers, however one time he got 4 e's and gave me 2, I became a bit loosened up but when I loosen up I want to sleep but get too fidgety.

Since then I suddenly had massive weight gain and almost impossible to lose weight despite my diet being small(I do get take aways about once or twice a week but not to extremes) plus I starve rest of the day and pretty much day after so its the only thing I eat those days.

I lived with him 6 months and after that stopped smoking weed again.

This is over 2 years now and almost 3 since taking e's and I have never recovered from the come down so to speak, my sleep pattern was destroyed I went through phases of up to about 2-3 months of being ok but then going back to 6am each day(mostly around summer I do ok) and I feel ill all the time.

So can this really effect me years on?

ReputationRep:
    Highly doubt it, you need to see a doctor. I've done it with no change.

By see a doctor, I mean to discuss the issues about weight gain and how you feel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Since then I suddenly had massive weight gain and almost impossible to lose weight despite my diet being small(I do get take aways about once or twice a week but not to extremes) plus I starve rest of the day and pretty much day after so its the only thing I eat those days.
    This is probably your problem. Your diet sounds terrible. If you only eat once or twice a day on certain days, your body will go into scarcity mode, you'll put on weight (mostly fat) and because of your lack of calorie intake, you will be tired all the time.

Go to the doctor, and sort your **** out.

(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    This is probably your problem. Your diet sounds terrible. If you only eat once or twice a day on certain days, your body will go into scarcity mode, you'll put on weight (mostly fat) and because of your lack of calorie intake, you will be tired all the time.

Go to the doctor, and sort your **** out.
    I have heard that before and it doesnt seem to take into account that before I reached 24(am 28 this year) I could eat little and have energy and not gain weight.

Its not as bad as some of the looks and comments I get like when I heard someone on Tuesday say "if I ever get that fat I will kill myself, what a pig" thinking I couldnt hear them.

I am 4-5 stone overweight depending on BMI and body frame etc.

I often feel people are being nice but if I say to someone I know that I am fat they are like "no you arent fat you are broad" and people are shocked when I tell them my weight assuming I am like 14 odd stone!

Also if I eat a take away but dont overeat I get a bit of energy since probably I am eating loads of calories

Also I seem to lose weight or not gain weight living off carbs but if I eat meat like chicken I gain weight.

I find it very hard to eat during the day too and eat late.

Oh and I have tried the doctors a few times over the last 3 years and the general reply is "you know what is good and not so whats the point of a dietician" etc

ReputationRep:
    E shouldn't mess with your weight, and taking it once doesn't really effect you at all unless you're allergic to it, or it's cut with something dodgy.

Make a food diary, learn the calorific content of what you're eating, try to keep it sensible. I find it very easy to eat more than 5000 calories a day if I don't pay attention... if my hands aren't full I eat. If it's apples/tea/whatever, this isn't so much a big deal, but if it's takeaway spring rolls/delicious greasy curry/cheese/bacon or something then you'll have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    It's almost definitely not the e's.

ReputationRep:
    I have heard that before and it doesnt seem to take into account that before I reached 24(am 28 this year) I could eat little and have energy and not gain weight.
    The metabolism slows down as you get older.

The speed of your metabolism indicates how the body deals with the food you eat. The faster it is the quicker your body digests it/utilizes it for energy so as it slows down with age your weight can rise as it cannot digest/utilize the food for energy as fast as it did before, therefore have excess calories that end up being stored as fats.

I think that is how it is. Anyone correct me if I have made a mistake somewhere.

(Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    The metabolism slows down as you get older.

The speed of your metabolism indicates how the body deals with the food you eat. The faster it is the quicker your body digests it/utilizes it for energy so as it slows down with age your weight can rise as it cannot digest/utilize the food for energy as fast as it did before, therefore have excess calories that end up being stored as fats.

I think that is how it is. Anyone correct me if I have made a mistake somewhere.
    Thats what I thought, as my weight gain occured just short of my 24th birthday was always skinny before that(though had a podgy shape)

It just gets annoying how people call me fat and say slow metabolisms dont exist.

The other thing I wasnt sure about was when I first started gaining weight I suddenly had an outburst of body hair again which hasnt gone down, i.e went from smooth back and shoulders and hairyish arms and legs to complete bear and my nose suddenly deveoping hairs! takes a lot to groom it lol.

So I assumed for a bit theres a possibility of something wrong testostrone wise.

(Original post by emmarainbow)
    E shouldn't mess with your weight, and taking it once doesn't really effect you at all unless you're allergic to it, or it's cut with something dodgy.

Make a food diary, learn the calorific content of what you're eating, try to keep it sensible. I find it very easy to eat more than 5000 calories a day if I don't pay attention... if my hands aren't full I eat. If it's apples/tea/whatever, this isn't so much a big deal, but if it's takeaway spring rolls/delicious greasy curry/cheese/bacon or something then you'll have a problem.
    I actually steer clear of stuff like fried foods, im not stuffing my face with things like kebabs as many people who comment about me assume.

nor am I eating desserts or cakes! the only dessert I have had in the last month is I made milk jelly twice, large portions each lasted over a week each.(though that included not eating it at all for days and then eating a lot) plus made strawberry whip twice.

Yesterday I treated myself to a 9" pizza was chillies, beef and prawns since I was hungover(rarely drink too) day before ate a cheese and sausage baguette then after drinking ate a cheese salad pitta, day before ate half a naan bread and some chow mein noodles, day before ate a cheeseburger and had rice in curry sauce, day before had a chicken kebab and some noddles.

Thats about what I eat every day give or take say a few biscuits as snacks

ReputationRep:
    Are you male or female?

If you're female, I think you should go to the doctor again if you're growing hair, you might have a hormone imbalance or something.

It's probably not the e's, it sounds like your diet. Starving yourself is not an effective weight loss measure. You should combine a healthy, balanced diet with a gradual build of exercise and be patient to see results.

ReputationRep:
    I highly suggest that you do not take them as they are going to affect you in later life

ReputationRep:

Its not as bad as some of the looks and comments I get like when I heard someone on Tuesday say "if I ever get that fat I will kill myself, what a pig" thinking I couldnt hear them.

I am 4-5 stone overweight depending on BMI and body frame etc.

I often feel people are being nice but if I say to someone I know that I am fat they are like "no you arent fat you are broad" and people are shocked when I tell them my weight assuming I am like 14 odd stone!

Also if I eat a take away but dont overeat I get a bit of energy since probably I am eating loads of calories

Also I seem to lose weight or not gain weight living off carbs but if I eat meat like chicken I gain weight.

I find it very hard to eat during the day too and eat late.
    You need to fix your diet, psychological issues, sleeping pattern and some other things, by the sounds of it. Remember, you are what you eat. Your mood and lifestyle will improve if you fix your diet.

Just go to a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Eat good food.
    Exercise.

You'll lose weight, gain energy and sleep much better like this.

I actually steer clear of stuff like fried foods, im not stuffing my face with things like kebabs as many people who comment about me assume.

nor am I eating desserts or cakes! the only dessert I have had in the last month is I made milk jelly twice, large portions each lasted over a week each.(though that included not eating it at all for days and then eating a lot) plus made strawberry whip twice.

Yesterday I treated myself to a 9" pizza was chillies, beef and prawns since I was hungover(rarely drink too) day before ate a cheese and sausage baguette then after drinking ate a cheese salad pitta, day before ate half a naan bread and some chow mein noodles, day before ate a cheeseburger and had rice in curry sauce, day before had a chicken kebab and some noddles.

Rofl, you've got it all backwards

also your diet is ****.

You're fat because you eat like a fatty.

Seriously, cheese and sausage baguette, after drinking, cheese salad pitta? hahahahahahaha

your diet is horrible and you're a fat **** because you don't watch what you eat at all.

you carb hoover.

ReputationRep:
    Rofl, you've got it all backwards

also your diet is ****.

You're fat because you eat like a fatty.

Seriously, cheese and sausage baguette, after drinking, cheese salad pitta? hahahahahahaha

your diet is horrible and you're a fat **** because you don't watch what you eat at all.

you carb hoover.
    ^^ Kinda true.

I'm 18 and 1.5 stone overweight. I eat 1600-1800 calories a day and I still have to exercise like a mad man to see some change in weight. I wish I could eat as much as you eat per day dude! I wish! loool.

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry but your diet is really, really bad.

Too much processed food. Stodgey stodge stodge. And all that salt. Urgh!

You eat a lot of cheese and the cheese is really fattening, full of salt which will make you retain more water and make you look bloated.
    In order to to lose weight you need to eat 4-5 small meals a day (to speed up your metabolic rate)and eat more fruit and vegetables. If you arent eating enough 5 a day, you arent getting the nutrients you need to break down the body fat and utilise the energy from your food (B vitamins)
    Drinking beer is terribly calorific as well.

You eating one meal a day will slow your metabolic rate down, so you think that starving your body will justify eating the bad food. It wont. Your body will just retain the fat from the fried food and not burn it of because it's in starvation mode.

Drink plenty of non alcoholic and unsugary fluids too. It doesnt have to be water, but try not to have caffienated drinks and most certainly not full sugar soft drinks.

Get moving a bit more as well. That will speed your metabolic rate even during resting.

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I thought, as my weight gain occured just short of my 24th birthday was always skinny before that(though had a podgy shape)

It just gets annoying how people call me fat and say slow metabolisms dont exist.

The other thing I wasnt sure about was when I first started gaining weight I suddenly had an outburst of body hair again which hasnt gone down, i.e went from smooth back and shoulders and hairyish arms and legs to complete bear and my nose suddenly deveoping hairs! takes a lot to groom it lol.

So I assumed for a bit theres a possibility of something wrong testostrone wise.
    Thats youre answer then isnt it? the fact that your ecstasy episode coincided with your weight gain was just a coincidence.

My dad had exactly the same thing. When he hit about 25 he went from being very skinny to overweight in the space of a few months. Its a hormonal change and unfortunately theres not much you can do about it - its just an effect of the aging process.

Hes managed to get down to a healthy weight now by doing a no carb diet and ridiculous amounts of cardio for about a year. But hes never going to find it easy to stay at this weight like he did when he was in his early twenties.

Also as people have already mentioned your diet isnt as healthy as you seem to think it is. If you want to lose weight its salads, soups and lean meats not pizzas and sausage baguettes.

ReputationRep:
    If you were in an emotionally fragile state (which is what it sounds like to me you were from having a family member murdered) at the time you took the E's I can imagine it might have some longterm effect on your psychosis. The E won't have physically done anything long term but MDMA can really play on your emotions.

I find this really interesting actually because I have taken Es in the past and often wonder what long-term effects it might have had. I get really scared that my heart is going to suddenly fail or something and I also think that it has contributed to my unstable mental state. Has anyone got any information on the long-term damage that might have been caused?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.