Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the point when all the guys fancy my best mate?? watch

Announcements

This happens with my home best mate and my uni best mate....whats the point? Even on a night out I'll get really dolled up but the guys I like will still pull them. I feel really pathetic having a list of guys I think that're gorgeous and then....never doing anything about them...but its not like they'll go for me anyway?

The question is-how do I get guys that I like? Out or just guys that I know in person?

ReputationRep:
    Don't rely on your looks so much. Guys like hot girls to pull, or to ****.
    Be interesting. It's rare that girls have interests outside clubbing, drinking, shopping etc...proper interests, like playing an instrument well, or reading certain genres of literature with the ability to comment on them, or an unusual sport like surfing. I knew a girl that wasn't great in the looks department, but she was really funny - because she was really into her comedy, was well read and was quick witted having grown up with older brothers. Another girl I knew had all the guys after her because she was a fantastic guitarist and singer...

Your friend will get attention, but unfortunately like most girls in her position, will probably coast along on that and won't bother developing herself in other ways. If you have something about you that's special, guys will pick up on that. The ones actually worth having after you anyway...again, gorgeousness isn't key, it's the personality that shines through that is...you know when you fancy someone, find out what they're like and wonder what you ever saw in them, or you don't think that someone's attractive but develop a crush after getting to know them - their looks have stayed exactly the same, but the way you perceive them has changed. So it's not all about looks at all.

Basically what I'm saying is it probably won't work on a night out, but nights out are for dancing, being silly...it doesn't have to be about seeing which guy you can pull. Doesn't that seem pretty empty and meaningless to you? The guys she gets with probably don't really respect her, or even care about her...or even remember her!

That's not to say don't make the best of yourself....but don't slap on the makeup, or shoehorn yourself into items clearly too small for you (if you're a bit on the chubs side, like me). Dress for your shape and size, with colours that suit you...have a hair colour close to your own, and please, for god's sake, keep the fake tan at bay.

I'm making huge assumptions here but I thought I'd just say so just in case you did any of these!

Lastly, perfect the art of charm. Don't drink yourself into a stupor and gyrate around on the dancefloor, clearly desperate for attention...get into conversations with guys at the bar, and meet guys elsewhere rather than out and about. Hot guys aren't only to be found in the clubs, I joined a surfing club and all the guys there were FIT. I ended up dating one of them after hanging out lots on one of the surf trips. Never seen him in a club in my entire life, and he's not the type to go and get with loads of girls either. So there we go.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    This happens with my home best mate and my uni best mate....whats the point? Even on a night out I'll get really dolled up but the guys I like will still pull them. I feel really pathetic having a list of guys I think that're gorgeous and then....never doing anything about them...but its not like they'll go for me anyway?

The question is-how do I get guys that I like? Out or just guys that I know in person?
    Your friends obviously don't know how to play the wingman role.
    Or you are an eternal Iceman struggling to channel your inner Maverick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Socialite)
    Be interesting. It's rare that girls have interests outside clubbing, drinking, shopping etc...proper interests, like playing an instrument well, or reading certain genres of literature with the ability to comment on them, or an unusual sport like surfing. I knew a girl that wasn't great in the looks department, but she was really funny - because she was really into her comedy, was well read and was quick witted having grown up with older brothers. Another girl I knew had all the guys after her because she was a fantastic guitarist and singer...

Your friend will get attention, but unfortunately like most girls in her position, will probably coast along on that and won't bother developing herself in other ways. If you have something about you that's special, guys will pick up on that. The ones actually worth having after you anyway...again, gorgeousness isn't key, it's the personality that shines through that is...you know when you fancy someone, find out what they're like and wonder what you ever saw in them, or you don't think that someone's attractive but develop a crush after getting to know them - their looks have stayed exactly the same, but the way you perceive them has changed. So it's not all about looks at all.

Basically what I'm saying is it probably won't work on a night out, but nights out are for dancing, being silly...it doesn't have to be about seeing which guy you can pull. Doesn't that seem pretty empty and meaningless to you? The guys she gets with probably don't really respect her, or even care about her...or even remember her!

That's not to say don't make the best of yourself....but don't slap on the makeup, or shoehorn yourself into items clearly too small for you (if you're a bit on the chubs side, like me). Dress for your shape and size, with colours that suit you...have a hair colour close to your own, and please, for god's sake, keep the fake tan at bay.

I'm making huge assumptions here but I thought I'd just say so just in case you did any of these!

Lastly, perfect the art of charm. Don't drink yourself into a stupor and gyrate around on the dancefloor, clearly desperate for attention...get into conversations with guys at the bar, and meet guys elsewhere rather than out and about. Hot guys aren't only to be found in the clubs, I joined a surfing club and all the guys there were FIT. I ended up dating one of them after hanging out lots on one of the surf trips. Never seen him in a club in my entire life, and he's not the type to go and get with loads of girls either. So there we go.

Could not have put that better myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    Your friends obviously don't know how to play the wingman role.
    Or you are an eternal Iceman struggling to channel your inner Maverick.
    Iceman? Maverick? you sound like you're referencing something, but i'm not sure what :P

ReputationRep:
    it happens to me too, happens to like 50% of girls, there's always prettier girls than you, its a bummer.
    however, surely she can't be getting with all these fit guys at once? fit guy has fit friends for you????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adiaphora)
    Iceman? Maverick? you sound like you're referencing something, but i'm not sure what :P
    Top Gun. Duh!!!

Ice on the left, Mav on the right. (Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise)

http://ydabondelli.files.wordpress.c...01/topgun2.jpg

ReputationRep:
    i like a good maverick but goose always gets me!

ReputationRep:
    Your friend will get attention, but unfortunately like most girls in her position, will probably coast along on that and won't bother developing herself in other ways. If you have something about you that's special, guys will pick up on that.
    This. My mum and her best friend are a perfect example of this. My mum has a steady boyfriend. Her best friend used to absolutely gorgeous. Guys used to constantly drool over her, and even used to sing about her. Because of this, she got used to being able to get by with her looks, and started relying somewhat on them. Then she gained a lot of weight, which considerably changed her appearance. She never really seemed to get over it.

To be honest, I'd rather have one special guy that loves me for who I am, than a million gorgeous ones trying tp get into me on a night out. Maybe these guys have more respect for you than your friends?

ReputationRep:
    where a slutty outfit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Riderz)
    Top Gun. Duh!!!

Ice on the left, Mav on the right. (Val Kilmer and Tom Cruise)

http://ydabondelli.files.wordpress.c...01/topgun2.jpg
    thank you. I have not seen it (incredibly :P ).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adiaphora)
    thank you. I have not seen it (incredibly :P ).
    you are missing out on a whole world of awesomeness (and homoeroticism)

ReputationRep:
    When I'm single I feel like this alll the time, but when the boy comes along, that notices you and wants you for you, it'll be worth it in the end
    You shouldn't change anything because if you do it's not you that they want.
    The best boyfriend I've ever had, the one I'm with now, is the one that I was just friends with and got to know as a friend in the first place.. trust me it'll happen some of the best ones just creep up on you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NW86)
    you are missing out on a whole world of awesomeness (and homoeroticism)
    Ok i'll look into watching it very soon :o: I know the Berlin song already so that's a start right?

ReputationRep:

I hate ridiculous assertions like this. No it's not rare at all, all of my girl friends have interesting hobbies and interests, it's naive in the extreme to say crap like that over and over again. Urgh, just some idiot who thinks they know a person because they've had a 2 minute conversation with someone, because girls are so shallow as to mostly only like 'shopping, clubbing..'. God, just so naive. The idiocy, it's just a way of pigeon holing better looking girls than yourself - "oh, well I may be 'on the chubs side' but at least I'm interesting". So are good looking girls. Such a lie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I hate ridiculous assertions like this. No it's not rare at all, all of my girl friends have interesting hobbies and interests, it's naive in the extreme to say crap like that over and over again. Urgh, just some idiot who thinks they know a person because they've had a 2 minute conversation with someone, because girls are so shallow as to mostly only like 'shopping, clubbing..'. God, just so naive. The idiocy, it's just a way of pigeon holing better looking girls than yourself - "oh, well I may be 'on the chubs side' but at least I'm interesting". So are good looking girls.
    Well said. Just because a girl is good looking it does not mean she has no other interests other than shopping, clubbing or drinking.

ReputationRep:
    I hate ridiculous assertions like this. No it's not rare at all, all of my girl friends have interesting hobbies and interests, it's naive in the extreme to say crap like that over and over again. Urgh, just some idiot who thinks they know a person because they've had a 2 minute conversation with someone, because girls are so shallow as to mostly only like 'shopping, clubbing..'. God, just so naive. The idiocy, it's just a way of pigeon holing better looking girls than yourself - "oh, well I may be 'on the chubs side' but at least I'm interesting". So are good looking girls.
    Agreed. Was going to say the same myself, but

1) couldnt be arsed, it tends to be a fruitless argument
    2) got lost in the world of Top Gun

(Original post by Riderz)
    2) got lost in the world of Top Gun
    haha

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree with this. The one friend I have who seems to get all the guys on nights out (to the point where she'll get with at least 4 every time we go out) plays the piano, flute and harp between grades 5 and 8, is ridiculously good at drawing, gets high grades in everything she does and is one of the funniest people I know. In fact, nearly all of my girl friends can play an instrument, get high grades, surf, do martial arts or whatever else. Telling someone that all the pretty girls are boring may make her feel better for now, but she'll only feel even more **** when she realises that it's just not true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cymraesfach)
    Totally agree with this. The one friend I have who seems to get all the guys on nights out (to the point where she'll get with at least 4 every time we go out) plays the piano, flute and harp between grades 5 and 8, is ridiculously good at drawing, gets high grades in everything she does and is one of the funniest people I know. In fact, nearly all of my girl friends can play an instrument, get high grades, surf, do martial arts or whatever else. Telling someone that all the pretty girls are boring may make her feel better for now, but she'll only feel even more **** when she realises that it's just not true.
    It's true that it's a bit of a sweeping assumption that's been made, but a lot of the tall, leggy blondes that guys tend to go for are usually pretty vacuous and boring.
    Personally, I'd rather take the less-attractive best friend who has something to talk about that isn't how 'cute' her latest bag is, how she's going to take a while getting ready (because she just has to fake-tan before she goes out), or some other sweeping stereotype of tall, leggy blondes.

Obviously, there are girls out there who are (for want of a better word) "fit" and have something more going for them; maybe they read Shakespeare as a hobby, maybe they play an instrument, maybe they do a sport that you wouldn't expect...and they're brought down by the orange-brigade into this sweeping stereotype.

As I saw it, my ex and her friends who weren't tall, fake-tanned blondes, were far more interesting to me than any other person in the room. Even last night, speaking to some friends I was out with about girls back home, I trashed the vacuous blonde, and put the less-attractive friend above her in "prettiness" because she's far more interesting.

Yes there are guys out there who only go for pretty blondes; yes there are girls out there who only care about shopping and their looks; but, there are exceptions to every rule; nothing is a certainty in life except Death and Taxes.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.