Turn on thread page Beta

Whats the point when all the guys fancy my best mate?? watch

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has at least one friend like that lol

ReputationRep:
    It's not all about looks. Believe me, charm goes a hell of a long way - it's what I've been relying on for a long time! Try not to compare yourself to your friends, it's obviously having a bad impact on you, it'll only get you down and diminish your confidence, which is all important.

Yeah true, its just hard because last night my friend got with this guy that I'd admired for so long but who I haven't seen/ever spoken to since September. And I thought he liked ME and was looking at ME. And just now another guy facebooked me asking about the same friend (though Im not intersted in him)

ReputationRep:
    find guys when you're not out clubbing? i have this problem too, but i'm sure you'll find someone who prefers you that's what i did..
    or just don't go out with those friends all the time??

(Original post by Farmboy_Pip)
    find guys when you're not out clubbing? i have this problem too, but i'm sure you'll find someone who prefers you that's what i did..
    or just don't go out with those friends all the time??
    Yeah this is probs the best option tbh. But I see gorgeous guys around my halls all the time but can't really initiate a conversation out of nothing....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeah this is probs the best option tbh. But I see gorgeous guys around my halls all the time but can't really initiate a conversation out of nothing....
    well, and i mean this in the nicest way and obviously i don't know what you look like, maybe you're setting your sights too high?

it's so hard when you're only attracted to the really attractive guys but more often than not, they're only attractive to the really attractive girls (as you probably already know) maybe joining clubs and societies might help? then you can meet with people who are you have a common interest with and that would spark conversation..?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I hate ridiculous assertions like this. No it's not rare at all, all of my girl friends have interesting hobbies and interests, it's naive in the extreme to say crap like that over and over again. Urgh, just some idiot who thinks they know a person because they've had a 2 minute conversation with someone, because girls are so shallow as to mostly only like 'shopping, clubbing..'. God, just so naive. The idiocy, it's just a way of pigeon holing better looking girls than yourself - "oh, well I may be 'on the chubs side' but at least I'm interesting". So are good looking girls. Such a lie.
    Wow, keep your hair on sunshine. I didn't say these girls don't exist, and perhaps I did generalise a little too far, but that's not from naivety, it's human nature to do so. Look up schema theory if you're interested. Anyway, the OP's friend may well have been one of these girls and besides, that was hardly the focus of my point. I was far from perpetuating the attitude of 'Oh well I may be ugly but at least I'm interesting', rather that surely it's better to be of average attractiveness and interesting than of average attractiveness and not interesting? There's no harm in encouraging someone to develop interests whatever the basis, at least there's something to offer there apart from looks alone.

In any case, at least I was offering some advice so the OP might have some idea of improving the situation, rather than picking holes in other people's. And I don't exactly relish being called an 'idiot', thank you very much. There's no need to be rude to someone just trying to offer advice now, is there? Sort your attitude out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    It's true that it's a bit of a sweeping assumption that's been made, but a lot of the tall, leggy blondes that guys tend to go for are usually pretty vacuous and boring.
    Personally, I'd rather take the less-attractive best friend who has something to talk about that isn't how 'cute' her latest bag is, how she's going to take a while getting ready (because she just has to fake-tan before she goes out), or some other sweeping stereotype of tall, leggy blondes.

Obviously, there are girls out there who are (for want of a better word) "fit" and have something more going for them; maybe they read Shakespeare as a hobby, maybe they play an instrument, maybe they do a sport that you wouldn't expect...and they're brought down by the orange-brigade into this sweeping stereotype.

As I saw it, my ex and her friends who weren't tall, fake-tanned blondes, were far more interesting to me than any other person in the room. Even last night, speaking to some friends I was out with about girls back home, I trashed the vacuous blonde, and put the less-attractive friend above her in "prettiness" because she's far more interesting.

Yes there are guys out there who only go for pretty blondes; yes there are girls out there who only care about shopping and their looks; but, there are exceptions to every rule; nothing is a certainty in life except Death and Taxes.
    See wtf you're stereotyping blondes now. Is this what you think people will see me as in clubs now - 'leggy', vacuous and boring?
    I can't and wouldn't use fake tan anyway, but I've just gone from a natural brunette to bleach blonde. I'm still reading for my law degree, go kickboxing, watch French films, and enter art competitions.
    ffs why is everyone so judgmental about how someone chooses to look.

(Original post by The Socialite)
    Wow, keep your hair on sunshine. I didn't say these girls don't exist, and perhaps I did generalise a little too far, but that's not from naivety, it's human nature to do so. Look up schema theory if you're interested. Anyway, the OP's friend may well have been one of these girls and besides, that was hardly the focus of my point. I was far from perpetuating the attitude of 'Oh well I may be ugly but at least I'm interesting', rather that surely it's better to be of average attractiveness and interesting than of average attractiveness and not interesting? There's no harm in encouraging someone to develop interests whatever the basis, at least there's something to offer there apart from looks alone.

In any case, at least I was offering some advice so the OP might have some idea of improving the situation, rather than picking holes in other people's. And I don't exactly relish being called an 'idiot', thank you very much. There's no need to be rude to someone just trying to offer advice now, is there? Sort your attitude out.
    Don't worry The Socialite-your post was by far one of the best on the forum and I thought it was quite useful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    See wtf you're stereotyping blondes now. Is this what you think people will see me as in clubs now - 'leggy', vacuous and boring?
    I can't and wouldn't use fake tan anyway, but I've just gone from a natural brunette to bleach blonde. I'm still reading for my law degree, go kickboxing, watch French films, and enter art competitions.
    ffs why is everyone so judgmental about how someone chooses to look.
    Life experience. Personally, I know there are blondes who aren't all vacuous non-entities and should actually have attention paid to them. I know blondes who speak multiple languages, who kickbox, who are genuinely interesting people...but they're let down by people who are blonde (mostly platinum blondes with fake tan and loads of 'bling') who are louder and stand out more, making them seem like the majority.

And I could ask all women the same thing. If people weren't so judgemental about looks I might not be single, and I wouldn't resort to facepaints whenever I get the chance to wear them.

Also - If you're that interesting, why did you have to go from brunette to blonde; surely that's playing up to the stereotype that blondes have more fun? Maybe I'm just being a **** in asking that, but, y'know...it's got to be done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CatatonicStupor)
    Also - If you're that interesting, why did you have to go from brunette to blonde; surely that's playing up to the stereotype that blondes have more fun? Maybe I'm just being a **** in asking that, but, y'know...it's got to be done.
    Because I get bored easily. I haven't gone for the tacky blonde, fake tan, too much make-up and a slutty dress kind of look. But I have done it so that I can make more of an impact in a good way. Blonde suits nice bright greens and blues so I can use them more in my clothes and eyeshadows. I can pull off different but still stylish outfits. I've been blonde before; I've had every colour under the sun on my hair at some point or another.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.