Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im not here for a debate on whether or not a guy should use hair straigheners or not...

Im here to ask WHAT hair straighteners a guy should use, Ive searched google and found these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HP83...4650122&sr=1-1

I know these seem very cheap - obviously I dont mind spending a bit to get good quality but I dont want to spend a rediculously large amount of money for straighteners. Any other recommendations?

Appreciate it...

ReputationRep:
    If your hairs long enough for straightening to be worthwhile, just use girls ones? Hairs hair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otu1987)
    If your hairs long enough for straightening to be worthwhile, just use girls ones? Hairs hair
    Yeah I was about to say the same. I think the idea of mens hair straighteners is just gimmicky. I don't see how they would be any different. Also, just wait till some decent ones are on offer and get them. Don't bother buying overly cheap brands because they just wont work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    Yeah I was about to say the same. I think the idea of mens hair straighteners is just gimmicky. I don't see how they would be any different. Also, just wait till some decent ones are on offer and get them. Don't bother buying overly cheap brands because they just wont work.
    They have a thinner plate which makes it a lot more easier than having to use womens.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Ive seen that the mens ones are thinner, while my hairs not short its not overly long. So might just be worth it...

So can anyone suggest some decent mens straighteners then?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what texture your hair is, if it is really thick or wavy then you will want to buy a decent set of straighteners as the cheaper brands just won't cut it ... personally i use GHD's sure a lot of women use them hair straighteners and they are supposed to be 'the best' on the market but that don't mean guys can't use them too, at the end of the day it's up to you what you choose although i would definitely recommend GHD's from personal experience.

ReputationRep:
    I use a decent semi-expensive pair of Philips ones (I don't think they're men's though)

Personally, I regret not buying the ones with an ultra-slim barrel (like the GHD men's ones) because they would give me more control than my current ones, so I'd recommend the ultra-thin ones unless you hair is very long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotHere)
    Im not here for a debate on whether or not a guy should use hair straigheners or not...

Im here to ask WHAT hair straighteners a guy should use, Ive searched google and found these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HP83...4650122&sr=1-1

I know these seem very cheap - obviously I dont mind spending a bit to get good quality but I dont want to spend a rediculously large amount of money for straighteners. Any other recommendations?

Appreciate it...

I suggest the mini GHD, its amazing, really expensive like 60-100 quid but lasts sooo long and can straighten any length of hair. heats up within 30 seconds. If you wanna buy legit ones form shops go to selfridges,

ReputationRep:
    The little GHD one? I think that would work best with your hair.

Cheap one's just won't do the job, so I wouldn't suggest going for one that's substantially cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    The little GHD one? I think that would work best with your hair.

Cheap one's just won't do the job, so I wouldn't suggest going for one that's substantially cheaper.
    Yeah this is right. I think the cheap ones damage your hair more aswell.

ReputationRep:
    Sure, I have male friends who use ghds

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice guys!!

my hair isn't really that think tbh, well it is but I mean in terms of density (but that in itself is only just above average so shouldn't be a problem). Mini GHD looks really really good, is pricey but when you come to think of it, I don't really want to ruin my hair - especially considering I'm new to the whole straighening hair thing :rolleyes:

is this the one you guys are talking about? http://www.amazon.co.uk/ghd-Mini-Sty.../dp/B0012X6JPE

Also, are there any haircare products that I need to use? I dunno, like do I have to use conditioners because I straighten my hair? or do I need any "heat protection products" (saw it somewhere) before straightening my hair? or maybe even anything to put in it after? Best to find out from you guys, cuz if I ask at my hairdressers or in a shop they'll say I need this and that just to make some money lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah go for the mini GHD's.

My boyfriend uses a manky old pair of Babyliss straighteners - he refuses to try my GHD's for some reason lol. He thinks his are better because they have heat control.. when in reality temperature control is pointless because it's the heat that straightens the hair so there's no point turning down the temp. lol.

ReputationRep:
    i used to have the mini ghd ones. but they broke over 2 years. so i just bought teh standard ghds.

just use the best ones. guys hair isn't especially different.

and tbh, only short hair needs the mini ones.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    I use a decent semi-expensive pair of Philips ones (I don't think they're men's though)

Personally, I regret not buying the ones with an ultra-slim barrel (like the GHD men's ones) because they would give me more control than my current ones, so I'd recommend the ultra-thin ones unless you hair is very long.
    id argue otherwise.

unless you want super duper precision straightening.

ReputationRep:
    What about when I sweat, it'll get undone, My hair isn't really that curly, but will wax/gel hold it in place?

ReputationRep:
    If you really have to be gay then use Girls Straighteners. If not then do not use Straighteners at all !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)

Cheap one's just won't do the job
    This isn't necessarily true.

As long as you use protective products and conditioner your hair won't get damaged, and the cheaper ones can still do a decent job.

I picked up some £25 Remington from boots last year and they're perfect. I never have trouble with these and you can see in my profile I have pretty thick hair.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.