Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by getrudeus)
    I don't hate the French.

Shows how many ******** we have on this forum.

I'm not sure what is in the asterix but I totally agree!

ReputationRep:
    I like their approach to eating and pleasure in general. The majority of the British population still do not take cookery seriously enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
    Right,

"Disgusting vile creatures" ?? Looked in a metaphysical mirror recently? How on earth can you generalise an entire country from some minor experiences and hyped-stereotypes?

If your opinions are based on women, food and the fact that (according to you) they like garlic (as do the Italians and many other countries who like fine-cuisine), you're in for a tricky time!

Your inability to punctuate your sentences offends me and your general immature approach to this question is not only ridiculous but ludicrous. If you presented these ideas in a way that could be understood and considered properly, I'd have no problem accepting your opinions, even if I completely disagree and think you're an unintelligent so-and-so...

France is an amazing country, as is Britain. The French have alot to offer and the majority of French people are highly accommodating and friendly. They make every effort with English culture, hence it being compulsory to learn English from a very early age. Their ignorance where language is concerned is far less than that of English people. This is supported by the fact that learning a modern foreign language has dropped by a considerable amount over the years here.

As for your shrewd comment about the women "aren't even that fit", what a stupid statement... you find pretty people and not so pretty people everywhere in the world. The fact that Paris is one of the fashion capitals of the world only verifies this point. Don't brandish an entire nation on a daft stereotype.

I don't think they are trying to compensate for something with the size of "their eiffel tower"... it was initially going to be knocked down soon after it was built but they found a use for it and it is now a tourist attraction. Perhaps you are the one trying to compensate for something if size is all that matters... how big is your Tour d'Eiffel?

1 word: Napoleon?

Go visit France, not just Paris, try Lyon, Marseilles, Toulouse, Brittany, Normandy, Nantes, The Alps... then come back on here and tell the world how awful it is!

Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rob6709)
    Lol
    ??

ReputationRep:
    What do we have against them?

That such a nice country was wasted on such a people

ReputationRep:
    Because they are off the end of the obnoxious scale?

I have a french guy in my flat at Uni, and he only says hello to me when he wants me to move some of my stuff from his shelf in the fridge (I accidentally bought a little too much stuff) and took up what I thought was an empty shelf - which turned out to be his.

ReputationRep:
    To quote Hugh Dennis:

"The French have four things against them: their food, their culture, their language, and the fact that they are French"

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    I like French people. I like France: excellent wine, sumptuous language and some terrible architecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anglerfish)
    I like French people. I like France: excellent wine, sumptuous language and some terrible architecture.
    Terrible? Like the layout of Paris from the Louvre to La Defense? Like Versailles? The Chateaux of the Loire Valley? Bordeaux? Tours? Lyon? Nimes? Avignon? Nice? Lille? amongst many others. Even the brutal architecture of the cités is remarkable, if not exactly functional. Ok, a lot of suburbs are bland and uninteresting, and some towns (Besancon springs to mind) are grey and dull, but France is also blessed with some amazing architecture.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    Terrible? Like the layout of Paris from the Louvre to La Defense? Like Versailles? The Chateaux of the Loire Valley? Bordeaux? Tours? Lyon? Nimes? Avignon? Nice? Lille? amongst many others. Even the brutal architecture of the cités is remarkable, if not exactly functional. Ok, a lot of suburbs are bland and uninteresting, and some towns (Besancon springs to mind) are grey and dull, but France is also blessed with some amazing architecture.
    The Louvre is far from remarkable, and several of those places can be a little too ostentatious. I notice the Eiffel Tower did not get a mention - wise move, since it is ghastly. I will, however, concede that they also have some rather nice buildings that may compensate for the rest of their bland and repetitive structures. In general, I prefer Russian or German architecture.

ReputationRep:
    And the Louvre is far from remarkable. I notice the Eiffel Tower did not get a mention - wise move, since it is ghastly. I will, however, concede that they also have some rather nice buildings that may compensate for the rest of their bland and repetitive structures. In general, I prefer Russian or German architecture.
    I've been to a few places in West Germany (Stuttgart, Munich, a few places in Bavaria) and the architecture is stunning. I wish I'd applied myself a bit more in German class because I'd love to live there. It's so clean and civilised, and even the small towns are classy. I've visited friends in Ludwigsburg and the whole town is pristine and full of character, even the new bits.

EDIT: I didn't mean the Louvre itself, but the strip as a whole. I love how you can stand on Place d'Etoile and look straight down to the Tuileries in one direction, and up to La Défense in the other, and how it all lines up perfectly, and the majesty of the Grand Palais and the buidings and trees on the Champs Elysées. That part of Paris is urban planning on an epic scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I've been to a few places in West Germany (Stuttgart, Munich, a few places in Bavaria) and the architecture is stunning. I wish I'd applied myself a bit more in German class because I'd love to live there. It's so clean and civilised, and even the small towns are classy. I've visited friends in Ludwigsburg and the whole town is pristine and full of character, even the new bits.
    That's more like it! I would love to live somewhere in Germany too. I am hoping to visit this year with my partner, try to take as much of it in as possible during our brief stay.

ReputationRep:
    No fan of German wine though. :hmmm:

However, the language is very precise...

ReputationRep:
    They have french toast.

We're upset we didnt make it first.

It's just magnificent.

ReputationRep:
    Because French Foreskin is Bright Pink !!

ReputationRep:
    1.They mock us and mock our food and traditions and then whinge when we kick their butts.

2. They hate us because we got the 2012 games. **** you Paris!!

3. Because every time they shut down one of their illegal immigrant camps, a great amount of the immigrants come over to the UK.

4. Because they don't know how to control the illegal immigrants even when they are in their camps. One of our people goes there and she gets raped. Useless idiots.

ReputationRep:
    i know some nice french ppl but some french are so stuck up for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse1)
    What do we have against them?

That such a nice country was wasted on such a people

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? Apart from their Frenchness, they're rude, cannot properly fight a war, tend to run away, surrender, are still butthurt after the Hundred Years War and Crécy, hate the fact our language is better than theirs, and we've had to bail them out twice because nasty Germany bullied them and took their land.

EDIT: Did I mention De Gaulle was a prat?

ReputationRep:
    De Gaulle, what a tit

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.