Turn on thread page Beta

What do the English have against French ppl?? watch

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed most people seem to have a grudge against France for De Gaulle's vetos on the UK entering the Common Market, yet these are probably the same people who want us out of the EU now. You can't have it both ways... also, just because some Brits have a chip on their shoulder vis-à-vis the French, it doesn't necessarily mean they hate us. They may find our royal family an anacronism and our food dreadful, but French people don't go around every day dwelling on Agincourt, or how "we saved them from the Germans". The French are rightly a proud people, but this does not immediately translate into looking down on the British; frankly such a perception is foolish and naive in the extreme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    American influence
    The English hated the French long before 'America' was even discovered. But I see what you're saying and it's sad, if anything Americans should love the French for their support during the revolution. Freedom fries indeed.

ReputationRep:
    history and the fact they frogs(french), because they couldn't beat our country in wars and the fact that it was us who saved them during the war and they don't like it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Because they are the rudest population on the face of the earth.
    This :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    The French are rightly a proud people, but this does not immediately translate into looking down on the British; frankly such a perception is foolish and naive in the extreme.
    Firstly - I'm not against the EU.
    Secondly - It's not foolish and naive at all. Most french people do view their culture as supreme and do look down upon us. Perhaps with good reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakethomas991)
    Firstly - I'm not against the EU.
    Secondly - It's not foolish and naive at all. Most french people do view their culture as supreme and do look down upon us. Perhaps with good reason.
    What gives you the impression that they look down specifically on us? I think almost everyone in every society better understands the positives of their own culture and so we are predisposed all of us to believe are culture is better than that of our neighbours (EDIT: or at least we can more easily spot the flaws in the culture of our neighbours). That's just human nature. Maybe it's more obvious in the French because they do have a lot to be proud of, in terms of their history (non-military of course!), culture and ethos. I think you're suffering from a slight delusion, like Brits believing the Germans are really bothered by their defeat in '66. The French really don't go around dwelling on how much better their society is than ours. I know plenty of French people who admire Britain at least as much as their own country, many of whom have come to the UK to live and work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    What gives you the impression that they look down specifically on us? I think almost everyone in every society better understands the positives of their own culture and so we are predisposed all of us to believe are culture is better than that of our neighbours (EDIT: or at least we can more easily spot the flaws in the culture of our neighbours). That's just human nature. Maybe it's more obvious in the French because they do have a lot to be proud of, in terms of their history (non-military of course!), culture and ethos. I think you're suffering from a slight delusion, like Brits believing the Germans are really bothered by their defeat in '66. The French really don't go around dwelling on how much better their society is than ours. I know plenty of French people who admire Britain at least as much as their own country, many of whom have come to the UK to live and work.
    Ohh don't get me wrong, I'm playing Devils advocate a bit here. I'm actually a French language student and love France. But I think that an awful lot of French people are biased in favour of themselves in a away that other nations aren't.

The Germans are probably the best people in Europe. Superb economy, incredible education system, clean, efficient, polite. But they don't look down on others. Here in Britain we know that as far as culture goes we're lagging a bit behind our European Neighbours. We have a terrible obesity rate, the highest teen pregnancy rate, 2nd highest alcohol related death rate, one of the worst unemployment rates and one of the lowest literacy rates.

The French seem to love ****ging us off though. They constantly **** off our cuisine, they STILL ban British beef imports, and the preconception held by most French people is that Britain is a lesser-culture who could benefit if they were more like the French.

Knowing many French people, and having spent some time in France, I would say that this is a perfectly valid statement, and I'm sure most French people would admit this.

The French have a real identity crisis. They are one of the most Racist peoples in Europe - The sheer number of votes the FN gets and the current proposals to ban the Burqua show this. They still have the mentality that the British had back in the 30s. And that the Germans held in the 40s; that they are better than everyone else.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.