Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have never been religious. I've gained most of my morality from my parents. However, as I've grown older and experienced more things for myself etc., I've begun to form my own opinions and morals from my own experiences and feelings.
    Nevertheless, the root of my morals, even what has changed, is fundamentally what I was taught from birth.
    Thank you mum and dad

ReputationRep:
    For me, morality exists in that ethical properties are associated with properties that can be identified in the world (reductive naturalism). The properties I associate it with are pleasure and suffering.

ReputationRep:
    List the things that God would never tell you to do.

Then realize what you did.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by reems23)
    Mainly directed at those not of faith or belief in the divine.

Where do you get your sense of morality from?

Do you understand that this is based on arbitrary limits you or society have constructed?

Does the lack of a basis mean these values are bendable and are they adjustable to suit your whims and desires? Why not?
    I pretty much choose what i feel is right. Those are bendable, though not to my will. Murdering someone may be beneficial to me, but i still think it would be immoral.

Id be interested in hearing where your morals come from.

ReputationRep:
    A can :P

or more seriously from experience and interpretation of knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    Mainly directed at those not of faith or belief in the divine.

Where do you get your sense of morality from?

Do you understand that this is based on arbitrary limits you or society have constructed?

Does the lack of a basis mean these values are bendable and are they adjustable to suit your whims and desires? Why not?
    lol hai tharrr

ReputationRep:
    TV shows. Mostly The Wire, The Sopranos and The Shield.

ReputationRep:
    Ebay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Whilst broadly true, there would be so many things that could well be different. I mean, just look at the acceptance of homosexuality in islamic and British cultures - completely different because society has evolved differently. Morals aren't just all compatible with one another.
    Indeed. I'm not saying peoples morals aren't influenced to some degree by society. Just that someone that gets their morals solely from society or from other people, sound an awful lot like psychopaths. And that societies moral rules are influenced far more by the members of that society and their personal understanding of other people and the empathy they feel for these people. Obviously where society can play a part is in the understanding of others, or lack of.

ReputationRep:
    As said on page one, I get it from experiences. I don't think it has anything to do with society imo. I just do what I feel is right. Morality imo isn't something that should be taught, though it is these days. Especially with kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Advanced Subsidiary)
    As said on page one, I get it from experiences. I don't think it has anything to do with society imo. I just do what I feel is right. Morality imo isn't something that should be taught, though it is these days. Especially with kids.
    The logic behind your point is fallacious.

If I feel like punching somebody in the face, does it make it right? If morality is based on instinct, then really anything goes, since instinct is subjective. If people want a literally anything goes scenario, then fine. But are you willing to live with the consequences of that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)

If I feel like punching somebody in the face, does it make it right? If morality is based on instinct, then really anything goes, since instinct is subjective. If people want a literally anything goes scenario, then fine. But are you willing to live with the consequences of that?
    I didn't say morality is based on instinct. I said i'll do what I think is right. That isn't instinct thats actually thinking about the situation before making the action.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)

If society is the only thing stopping you from punching someone then you are clearly a bit of a ****.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.