Turn on thread page Beta

Worst living situation with ex watch

I was with my ex for two years and just before we went to uni in September he dumped me. I wasn't that sad at the time as I kind of saw it coming but the situation is so awkward now.

I was supposed to go to Leeds but didn't get the grades so went to my insurance, Nottingham which is where my ex also goes. I wasn't too worried that we were going to the same uni because after all, Nottingham's a big place and I thought it was reallly unlikely that we would bump into each other. I was so wrong.Not only are we in the same accommodation we are in the same building and on the same friggin' floor.

In normal circumstances I would totally cut someone out of my life if I wanted to forget them but with him I can't.I see him at breakfast, lunch and dinner,in the common room,on our corridor,on nights out and it's making it really difficult for me to get over him. Not only this but I know he's now seeing this drop dead gorgeous girl who also lives in our halls.

Obviously he has every right to see whoever he wants but I just hate having it shoved in my face 24/7. I see her coming out of his room at all hours and it just really hurts. I want to get over it so badly so I can actually enjoy my time at uni but the living arrangement really isn't helping. I don't want to move as I love my friends here,besides I've signed a contract.

What should I do?
    Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Request to be moved?

ReputationRep:
    Ignore their presence. Stay away from him. Get a good circle of friends, make some, go out of your way to meet some nice people, so that spending time with them will take your mind off of the thought of him!

(By the way, you have had terrible luck! Wish you better luck in the future!)

I don't think they can move me based on this. You have to have been really badly bullied for them to move you.

ReputationRep:
    'Personal differences with members on your floor' tends to work, at least it did in York - one of our housemates moved out absolutely fine, there was no bullying but we just didn't really get on and she had better friends elsewhere.

If you just explain that you aren't comfortable being around some of your housemates, and perhaps try to find somebody to swap with? You could end up in a better situation.
    At least give it a go - perhaps you could talk to your welfare officer about possibilities?
    Aside from that, try to avoid your ex - get a different group of friends, start spending time on different floors? It is gonna be hard, and gosh, you really didn't do well luck-wise there, but there are options.

ReputationRep:
    At my university, you could find someone from another hall and just swap yourselves. There are places which this can be done, and you could put up fliers and stuff. One of my friends rented out her room for the last term of the year to live at home... :O

ReputationRep:
    Is there no way of avoiding him? You could always hang out with some other people from different halls, and spend a lot of your time there. It won't solve the problem completely, but it's a start. Take care.

ReputationRep:
    This sounds like a fantastic idea for a girly comedy, hell I'd be tempted to see it (I'm half girl anyway according to most people>_<).

I suggest you either request to be moved, or have a civil minimual friendship with him.
    That is lay down some basic rules formally with him "look I'm happy to smile to you and say hey, but if it's possible please can we avoid being wither other people in front of each other and ending up at each othes place, at least for a small reason, I don't feel jealous, but I feel awkward, I know you in a certain way that other's don't" etc. etc.

ReputationRep:
    Lol this sounds like a fanfiction or some sort of story haha :laugh:
    I can't really tell you anything but really just try to move on if you can't forget. Find another guy and just busy yourself so you don't have to think about him. Good luck, OP!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.