Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

want to tone my arms and chest, but arent protein shakes dangerous/steroids? Watch

ReputationRep:
    so far I've been doing 100 pressups and 100 curls every day since doing high reps low weight will help me tone my muscles, what else can I do? someone said to take protein shakes but arent they like steroids? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    No, they are exactly what they are called: protein shakes - i.e. a milkshake style drink that contains a high amount of protein, which is extracted during the cheese making process usually. If you drink enough water they will help you, but you need to work out your whole body to be even and look right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john87)
    so far I've been doing 100 pressups and 100 curls every day since doing high reps low weight will help me tone my muscles, what else can I do? someone said to take protein shakes but arent they like steroids? :confused:
    nope, no worries. most people use them. it's usually made up of a variety of things (mostly regarded as healthy), and they usuallly contain weigh protein. many people even make their own protein shakes made up of fruits and high protein berries and nuts. Either-way, store bought or not, they're not a type of drug, they basically are what they say on the tin (high protein drinks )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    No, they are exactly what they are called: protein shakes - i.e. a milkshake style drink that contains a high amount of protein, which is extracted during the cheese making process usually. If you drink enough water they will help you, but you need to work out your whole body to be even and look right.
    my biology teacher says they are bad for you, there not natural and help you build muscle, therefore they must be steroids

ReputationRep:
    my biology teacher says they are bad for you, there not natural and help you build muscle, therefore they must be steroids
    they're not. they're exactly what they say. Protein shakes. proteins are not steroids at all. Whey protein is not bad for you, many take it who don't train, many athletes take it..

There are too many things wrong with this thread for my tired eyes to comprehend. If noone's pointed out what these are by tonight I'll bash out a proper reply.

ReputationRep:
    Don't be pressured into taking protein shakes :O you'll end with cravings and withdrawal symptons when you run out :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    Don't be pressured into taking protein shakes :O you'll end with cravings and withdrawal symptons when you run out :O
    No you won't, this is the stupidest thread I have seen in a long time.

ReputationRep:
    no offense but your biology teacher is amazingly stupid. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Lol at biology teacher fail. I mean seriously? Do they let anyone teach these days?

Weight training is unnatural (ever seen a natural gym?) and builds muscle. I don't think my gym membership is a steriod.

EDIT: Im amazed at how many people have no idea about protein shakes! They are not addictive. Yes, they are not "natural" so to speak, but all it is is consuming a large amount of protein in a short amount of time - just like eating lots of protein containing food like fish in a short amount of time, but faster and quicker.

They are not steroids. Tescos sell protein shakes and have done for ages. There have been 0 police raids on tescos due to them selling steroids. Figure it out for yourselves.

I don't take them personally, but only because they are pretty pricey and im a little low on cash

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    No you won't, this is the stupidest thread I have seen in a long time.
    Source?

ReputationRep:
    Source?
    Personal experience, I and nobody I know has ever, ever had withdrawel symptoms from lack of protein...it isn't particularly nice stuff to drink you know. Where's your source anyway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moe Lester)
    Personal experience, I and nobody I know has ever, ever had withdrawel symptoms from lack of protein...it isn't particularly nice stuff to drink you know. Where's your source anyway?
    I'm talking from experience too funnily enough.

John, dont go for protein shakes.. trust me,, AND DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CREATINE!

ReputationRep:
    Lol, protein shakes are as natural as cheese or Riveta...people have misconceptions about the things. Its just a high protein drink......that's all.

ReputationRep:

John, dont go for protein shakes.. trust me,, AND DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT CREATINE!
    So? It's no different to drinking milk everyday...they're not addictive or anything? John if you have the money go for it, I buy this.

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supp...(unflavoured)/

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you're so irresponsible it's unbelievable.

You know what john, you might as well get 10g bag of heroin too.

ReputationRep:
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

you're so irresponsible it's unbelievable.

You know what john, you might as well get 10g bag of heroin too.
    Stop trolling and posting unhelpful advice.

ReputationRep:

If you're trolling, its not particularly funny.

If you are talking from personal experience, you are a rather impressionable little fool who managed to gain a psychological addiction to a totally and completely non-addictive substance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    If you're trolling, its not particularly funny.

If you are talking from personal experience, you are a rather impressionable little fool who managed to gain a psychological addiction to a totally and completely non-addictive substance.
    Tell that to the chubs who are addicted to chinese and chocolate.

ReputationRep:
    Tell that to the chubs who are addicted to chinese and chocolate.
    Yes i will tell that to the impressionable little chubs who are addicted to chinese. I will say this as it is the exact same scenario. This is psychological addiction.

Chocolate is slightly different as it causes the release of endorphins which can become slightly addictive.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.