Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

want to tone my arms and chest, but arent protein shakes dangerous/steroids? watch

ReputationRep:
    I will never touch a protein shake again for as long as I live. The reason being my mate was proper into his protein shakes and I mean PROPER...we're talking 10-15 a day with 2 scoops per shake....I could tell he was a bit edgy and he had changed.....well he went home one night and crippler cross-faced his whole family and then he OD'd on creatine...which showed it was pre-meditatted(sp) because the only reason anyone would take creatine is too commit suicide because it's just too dangerous....

So there you are kids.....don't take protein shakes and don't even think about touching creatine.

ReputationRep:
    But seriously, don't use protein shakes. I heard the best diet for muscles and getting toned is the raw vegan diet. Good stuff.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    I LOL'D. WTF OP. You are either trolling or not very smart.

ReputationRep:
    i dont think your doing enough training for a protein shake to be viable. you need to train body parts properly. if you started taking proteins shakes and continued your regime i think you will just get fat. protein shakes help repair ripped muscle, but in my opinion your not doing enough to rip the muscle in the first place, hence the protein shake wont do much.

and if protein shakes were in fact steroids, i doubt they would be so widely available on the high street. for toning you should have a shake that has low amounts of carbs.

ReputationRep:
    this whole thread is fail

the word "toning" should be banned

ReputationRep:
    Negged for being a phucking tard, you're probably a troll anyway, protein shakes are steroids and i want to tone my muscles... jeez i mean come on, keep doing dem der pushups and curlz for teh massive gunz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john87)
    so far I've been doing 100 pressups and 100 curls every day since doing high reps low weight will help me tone my muscles, what else can I do? someone said to take protein shakes but arent they like steroids? :confused:

They are ok in moderate amounts in combination with a well balanced diet and plent of cardiovascular and muscle building exercise..
    :yep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Bslforever)
    Lol at biology teacher fail. I mean seriously? Do they let anyone teach these days?

Yea!

You can teach chemistry with a botany degree.

ReputationRep:
    The main danger of protein powders is that the dealers like to cut them with powdered oestrogen, heroin and broken glass.

I'd stay away myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    There are too many things wrong with this thread for my tired eyes to comprehend. If noone's pointed out what these are by tonight I'll bash out a proper reply.
    di-to-the-tto.

ReputationRep:
    funniest thread ever. protein shakes didnt cause chris benoit to kill his family. so many trolls here.

also to the op use lower rep ranges to gain muscle. and working the same muscles 100 times a day every single day wont give them time to repair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *MJ*)
    di-to-the-tto.
    if you've dittoed that, would you like to explain for us what's wrong with this thread? rep available if I believe you know what's wrong with it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    My friend took protein and it completely changed him. He became very aggressive, started growing b*tch t*ts, and getting really too muscular
    Then he stopped and he went from looking like Arnie to really skinny really quickly, all the time he was addicted to protein shakes and it took him ages to get himself off. He still has to take them now or he get bad withdrawal symptoms

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    if you've dittoed that, would you like to explain for us what's wrong with this thread? rep available if I believe you know what's wrong with it :yep:
    I ditto'd the fact that if the thread hasn't been answered, then I will come back later and give a serious reply.

It seems it has been answered, so there is no need. Well done all.

If you want me to add, protein shakes are fine. They are pretty much like normal protein and a very good replacement for people like myself whom don't consume meat, fish or eggs. I don't actually use them (yet) because I don't train regularly enough but when I do start strength training, I shall keep up to a regular usage in order to maintain strength.

However, there can be drawbacks. Excessive protein can build up and lead to stones and abdominal pains. Growth/hormone levels may be too high and feedback mechanisms in the body may have a tougher time. That said, I really do mean excessive amounts, not just one/two a week, that is fine.

In terms of steroids, they 'can' be done safely. Many people do them and they range from chemical to chemical and side effect to side effect. I personally, wouldn't read any google article, take the steroid and then train, if you are to take them, then please consult somebody who knows what they are talking about.

There are side effects ofcourse, everyone knows that. You should balance the two and over-usage can be dangerous if not done properly.

Anyway, the most important things apart from extra protein 'boost', would be an adequate diet and a formal technique. You need carbs in your diet and plenty of them and some first class proteins whose amino acids only the body can produce, naturally.

ReputationRep:
    my biology teacher says they are bad for you, there not natural and help you build muscle, therefore they must be steroids
    LOOOL troll or your teacher is a joker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DriftingBore)
    But seriously, don't use protein shakes. I heard the best diet for muscles and getting toned is the raw vegan diet. Good stuff.

/thread
    There is always one muppet

ReputationRep:
    my biology teacher says they are bad for you, there not natural and help you build muscle, therefore they must be steroids
    i dont know how the person can even call themselves a teacher is they are actually trying to pass this off as a fact.

do yourself a favor and change class right away or you are sure to fail biology

ReputationRep:
    so far I've been doing 100 pressups and 100 curls every day since doing high reps low weight will help me tone my muscles
    Actually, I think it's recently been shown that in order to both build and tone muscle it's better to do low rep and high weight. Though someone tell me if this is right because I'm not 100 percent sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Hey! I know you are Mr. Big Lifts but I have a 6 pack...

P.S. I don't really have a 6 pack and I don't really think the raw vegan diet is good for getting "toned" whatever "toned" means....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    And in this thread there's about 20 lol

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.