Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Could you give me some examples of strong synoptic marks that I could put in the exam on friday?

i'm doing relationships, sleep, and aggression

ReputationRep:
    Synoptic marks? As in AO2 or AO3?

This exam is too hard; there's too much to remember!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DalekLover)
    Synoptic marks? As in AO2 or AO3?

This exam is too hard; there's too much to remember!
    Yeah mostly AO3, like issues, debates and approaches?

It is going to be really hard! I hate how we have exactly half an hour to complete each essay. I would love at least 10 minutes more to plan it!

ReputationRep:
    Issues are things like:

Reductionism: Breaking down a complex phenomenon into more simple components.

Cultural Bias: when people of one culture make assumptions on another based on their own cultural norms and practices. You can use this one almost anywhere!

Role of Animals in research: can we generalize animal research to humans? Do the costs outweigh the benefits?

Gender Bias: When one gender is used in research and psychologists assume that it can be applied to the opposite gender.

Ethical Issues: like danger, psychological harm etc.

Debates are:

Nature v Nurture: are we the product of biology (nature) or of the environment (nurture)?

Free will v determinism: determinism (like fate) is the view that an individual’s behaviour is shaped or controlled by internal or external factors. Free will is used to refer to when an individual is seen as being capable of self-determination i.e. we shape our lives.

Psychology as a science: how scientific is the research for example using as case study lacks scientific measures as it does not produce quantitative data. A lab experiment on the other hand helps identify psychology as a science.

e.g If your talking about something biological evaluate it it by saying is is biologically reductionist and say why, because it ignores environmental factors etc

Hope this helps, if you can get at least 3 in to your essays you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sjpollack)
    Yeah mostly AO3, like issues, debates and approaches?

It is going to be really hard! I hate how we have exactly half an hour to complete each essay. I would love at least 10 minutes more to plan it!

Yeah I agree my teachers are like: 'Its half and hour a question' Its not half and hour its roughly 20/25 minutes if you plan your answer.

ReputationRep:
    I wish we were doing AQA B...I loved the short questions last year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    Yeah I agree my teachers are like: 'Its half and hour a question' Its not half and hour its roughly 20/25 minutes if you plan your answer.
    Wow that's brilliant! Thank you! Just what I needed,

What topics are you covering?

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's brilliant! Thank you! Just what I needed,

What topics are you covering?
    I'm covering Eating Behaviour, Biological Rhythms + Sleep and Aggression
    What about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DalekLover)
    I wish we were doing AQA B...I loved the short questions last year.
    Yeah we got like, little questions leading up to a bigger question at the end which i much preferred.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    I'm covering Eating Behaviour, Biological Rhythms + Sleep and Aggression
    What about you?
    Relationships, Aggression and Biological rhythms + sleep,
    I have a feeling something will come up about sleeping disorders

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we got like, little questions leading up to a bigger question at the end which i much preferred.
    the 25 marker can be split up into two...
    For example either 5 and 20 marks or 9 and 18 marks
    I guess that makes it even more annoying!

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...3-W-SQP-07.PDF

Thats the link to the specimen paper they provided our teachers, if you haven't already seen it take a look at it, I doubt what they have asked on this paper will come up tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Relationships, Aggression and Biological rhythms + sleep,
    I have a feeling something will come up about sleeping disorders
    Cool, I would have loved to do Relationships!
    If i get stuck on some of the questions I'm gonna remember some general criticisms I can use any where such as the issue and debates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    the 25 marker can be split up into two...
    For example either 5 and 20 marks or 9 and 18 marks
    I guess that makes it even more annoying!

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf...3-W-SQP-07.PDF

Thats the link to the specimen paper they provided our teachers, if you haven't already seen it take a look at it, I doubt what they have asked on this paper will come up tomorrow.
    Ah, thank you! But I tried to access it earlier and it wouldn't load.. something probably to do with PDF thing. I've been trying to look for one that I can actually access but I can't find one! Do you know how I can?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, thank you! But I tried to access it earlier and it wouldn't load.. something probably to do with PDF thing. I've been trying to look for one that I can actually access but I can't find one! Do you know how I can?
    What topics are you doing? I can copy and paste the questions to the thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    What topics are you doing? I can copy and paste the questions to the thread.
    Aw thank you Relationships, aggression and biological rhythms + sleep

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that the exam is hard as such, you just need to plan your essay structurally and know all of the points - also just include the points that Mudya has said in post 4.

Time limit wise, I think I wrote something like 4 and a half pages in 30 minutes when I tried to do some practice essays so it's not too bad, But I wouldn't mind some more, especially since there are 3 essays to write.

ReputationRep:
    RELATIONSHIPS
    (a) Outline one or more theories relating to the formation and/or maintenance of relationships. (9 marks)
    (b) Evaluate one of the theories outlined in (a) with particular emphasis on the nature of relationships in different cultures. (16 marks)

BIOLOGICAL RHYTHMS AND SLEEP
    Discuss the role of endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers in the sleep/waking cycle and at least one other biological rhythm. (25 marks)

AGGRESSION
    Outline and evaluate one social psychological and one biological explanation of human aggression. (25 marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    Cool, I would have loved to do Relationships!
    If i get stuck on some of the questions I'm gonna remember some general criticisms I can use any where such as the issue and debates.
    Relationships are not good. I hate them. There's so many theories and I keep getting confused between each one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mudya)
    RELATIONSHIPS
    (a) Outline one or more theories relating to the formation and/or maintenance of relationships. (9 marks)
    (b) Evaluate one of the theories outlined in (a) with particular emphasis on the nature of relationships in different cultures. (16 marks)

BIOLOGICAL RHYTHMS AND SLEEP
    Discuss the role of endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers in the sleep/waking cycle and at least one other biological rhythm. (25 marks)

AGGRESSION
    Outline and evaluate one social psychological and one biological explanation of human aggression. (25 marks)

Could you give me a plan for that, thats presuming you have one, plz?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Orihime)
    Could you give me a plan for that, thats presuming you have one, plz?
    I only do Bio rhythms and aggression, I can make a quick plan for you on those 2 topics?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 6, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.