Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by little_k)
    Trivers theory yes not sure about the other one.

From what we did it was Trivers, Bateman or Parent offspring conflict!
    The Sexual Strategies was in the human reproductive behaviour section of the Nelson-Thornes book.. about how we choose mates depending on the relationship (short or long term) and then why. E.g. for a long-term relationship, males look for women who will be faithful so they definitely know the child they're bringing up will be theirs and they're not investing in another man's child.

Would that have fitted in? D: If not, my answer to that question will be poor :p: Hopefully aggression/eating behaviour will be good enough!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taperjeangirl!)
    The Sexual Strategies was in the human reproductive behaviour section of the Nelson-Thornes book.. about how we choose mates depending on the relationship (short or long term) and then why. E.g. for a long-term relationship, males look for women who will be faithful so they definitely know the child they're bringing up will be theirs and they're not investing in another man's child.

Would that have fitted in? D: If not, my answer to that question will be poor :p: Hopefully aggression/eating behaviour will be good enough!
    that sounds like it will fit in, I used Buss' study to say that women look for resources, men look for physical attractiveness and why.... also why women can afford to be more choosy in relationships and stuff like that.

what did you chat about for institutional?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thompsonbassman)
    that sounds like it will fit in, I used Buss' study to say that women look for resources, men look for physical attractiveness and why.... also why women can afford to be more choosy in relationships and stuff like that.

what did you chat about for institutional?
    Oooh okay, I used Buss too

For institutional I used blind obedience to authority, dehumanisation and then situational/individualistic causes and how they can be disputed by talking about security forces and briefly about terrorism (basically what the Nelson-Thornes book said :p:)

I used different studies and stuff to evaluate then evaluated those, but I'm still not sure if there was enough evaluating on the whole Time will tell!

Did you talk about similar stuff?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by taperjeangirl!)
    Oooh okay, I used Buss too

For institutional I used blind obedience to authority, dehumanisation and then situational/individualistic causes and how they can be disputed by talking about security forces and briefly about terrorism (basically what the Nelson-Thornes book said :p:)

I used different studies and stuff to evaluate then evaluated those, but I'm still not sure if there was enough evaluating on the whole Time will tell!

Did you talk about similar stuff?
    I spoke about the Importation Model and prison subcultures against Situation Models and the Deprivation model in particular. Used research from Richards, Delisi and McCorkle it seemed alright. Not really familiar with most of what you said but it sounds pretty good! I think we could stick zimbardo in there too but I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thompsonbassman)
    I spoke about the Importation Model and prison subcultures against Situation Models and the Deprivation model in particular. Used research from Richards, Delisi and McCorkle it seemed alright. Not really familiar with most of what you said but it sounds pretty good! I think we could stick zimbardo in there too but I didn't.
    We must use different books and stuff then because I'm not familiar with your stuff either :p: You sound like you know what you're talking about though! I just gave a brief sentence about Zimbardo for the dehumanisation bit, should've put more really but oh well. I did wanna include deindividuation some how but I ran out of time and had to move on so I just threw on a conclusion. I suppose we'll just have to wait until March now :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    From reading these posts its clear that you've all been taught so much better than me!

ReputationRep:
    The gender question was odd, but I was pleased with the questions on intelligence and cognition and development I don't think my answers were strong enough, but we'll have to see I suppose!

ReputationRep:
    Quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    I do relationships, eating + aggression.

I think they were "nice" questions considering what they could have asked.

However, I've only included synoptic links for one question, I couldn't think of other ones, I just wrote "gender bias" and hoped for the best!

I thought I included the A01 for each quite well - and Some points of A02 for all. There was none which had no evaluation at all, and I wrote about 2 and a bit pages for each essay. I finished well within the time - I was so worried about not finishing on time that I just scribbled everything I know!

I've lost at least 8 marks from no synoptic links for 2 essays.

I know a lot of people wrote about the wrong things here, and like me, struggled to make A02/A03 points.

Anyone else struggle?

ReputationRep:
    so sorry for not sending anyone that page, I got so distracted with revising for it myself.

Lucky that it didn't come up =]

ReputationRep:
    I liked it, i had Relationships, Aggression and Eating Behaviour.
    Relationships, i did Trivers, Buss and Schmitt and a bit on weaning conflicts. We hadn't studied anything else about parental conflicts and whatnot.
    Aggression, i absolutely loved. Wrote about Sykes deprivation model and neutralisation, dysfunctional power systems and Zimbardo and Cresseys predisposition. Evaluated with McCorkle, Harer and Steffenmeiser, Keller and Wang and Zimbardo. Addeed in anecdotal evidence on nazis and abu ghraib and the frustration aggression/cue arousal theories. Really want full marks on that bad boy!!
    Eating, not great. Knew the A01 points on dieting and the cognitive boundary model but my explanation of the studies was weak. Still, i liked the exam as a whole!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pineapple-tea)
    Anybody else doing Bio rhythms, Intelligence and Perception?

Or is our class, yet again, practically the only ones?

If so, does anybody know where I can find some example essays as I'm really not sure what the examiners are looking for. I don't want to write all the correct information but present it in a way where I can't get as many marks as I need.

Ahhh >
    I know i'm a little late, but we do. How did you find today's exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Quite nice.
    What topics did you do Mal?

ReputationRep:
    What happens if i named a study but what they did was not what they did but it was still in that sleeping disorder area SS it was only a small paragraph though P

the nature nurture debate in perception was a good one for me cus we practiced this question in timed conditions twice and i did have a feeling it was gonna come up hehe

Gender was ok i guess, it was as confusing as you thought it was, maybe it was because the exam made you feel confused but when think of the way it was worded then you wouldn't have found it confusing it was only asking you whether biological explanations ie hormones etc were better than psycholigcal ie gender schema/consistency/ social etc etc. I mentioned studies such as david reimer, yalom et al young et al or whatever studies

ReputationRep:
    I'm seriously worried now- I was dreading this exam anyway- but it seems like you have all been taught so much more for the instituional aggression stuff we literllay had zimbardo's study, abu ghraib and then a few sentences on the dispositional explanations were there studies to go with this?! I think I'm going to get seriously penalised now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie!)
    I'm seriously worried now- I was dreading this exam anyway- but it seems like you have all been taught so much more for the instituional aggression stuff we literllay had zimbardo's study, abu ghraib and then a few sentences on the dispositional explanations were there studies to go with this?! I think I'm going to get seriously penalised now.
    i'm the same for aggression !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by semolina pilchard)
    I found the exam reasonable, there were no real surprises which is always good - I did relationships, aggression and cognitive psychology. I thought the parental investment and institutional aggression questions were perfect as there were so many evaluative points and I finished on time, just a bit unsure with the cognitive one as it was a split question.

How did everyone else find the cognitive question? The first part was quite straight forward (did Vygotsky) but evaluation in terms of education threw me a bit, ended up writing about Gredler and Mcnaughton+Leyland and kinda focusing them on eduction implications with a bit of synoptic stuff after, hope that was enough to at least get half of the 16 marks.
    In one of the booklets we got given in school it contained applications of each theory to education with evaluations of each which i'd learnt thinking "ohhh i bet that comes up =|" so I was basically laughing, but I think my answers were still weak so :/ who knows..

I talked about the Plowden report with Piaget (it based a lot of its recommendations on his theory and overall resulted in a complete change of the education system from teacher-orientated to pupil orientated), how he hadn't actually designed it with education in mind, how some people said it had been hijacked by educationalists as a "tool for change", how his theory could arguably have certain social implications with children who might be held back if they are only given age-related material as Piaget underestimated the ability of children, how some could develop with the aid of a tutor, how it might not be relevant to all children as Piaget's theory was very culture biased due to his methodology and the people tested on (and if you look at some Asian school systems, particularly in Japan and China, their teaching is very teacher-orientated but they still do very well)

obviously i evaluated those with more studies at the time but yeah :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    What topics did you do Mal?

Rythms/sleep + Gender + Relationships:yep:

Yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    Rythms/sleep + Gender + Relationships:yep:

Yourself?
    Sleep, Cog+dev, intelligence

ReputationRep:
    So many people I know wrote about social approaches to gender development instead of psychological approaches. Anyone else do this?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 6, 2010

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.