Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi. basically ive had upset stomach type issues (tummy ache, diarhoea etc - all fun stuff) for months now. I saw the dr and sugested i thought it was a side effect of a drug i take. we swapped it to another drug (similar). no change in effects. he asked if it was food related. i said i didnt think so. but perhaps it is.... my issues aren't in a regular pattern, whereas i take my pills in a regular pattern.

so.. question ... how do i find out if its an issue with food. if it is an issue i suspect its dairy - i do have more problems on days ive eaten a lot of dairy. will simply cutting out obvious dairy (milk cheese yoghurt butter) make the problems disapear if they were problem foods? and if the problems stay then theres no problem with those foods i assume.

basically how do i work out which/if any foods are a problem - avoiding those foods (for how long? to what extent?) would be the best method i assume.

(the dr didnt give any advice on how to see if its an issue with food, just sugested it probably is and to watch out for which food causes it).

advice please?

ReputationRep:
    If you're pretty sure it's dairy, then yes, just cut it out of your diet and see if anything changes.

If you're not too sure, cut everything that could be a problem, and introduce it all back into your diet one type of food at a time very slowly, seeing if bringing it back causes your problems to come back.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, cutting out the suspect food should at least significantly reduce your symptoms if you are reacting to it.

Most people are told to make a food diary and then write down when they get their symptoms the worst, and see if there is any correlation.

ReputationRep:
    You could just start making notes of what you've eaten on certain days and when you've been ill afterwards and once you've identified the possibilities try cutting them out. That's what I did.

(krisblade got there first:o: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by myfanwy)
    You could just start making notes of what you've eaten on certain days and when you've been ill afterwards and once you've identified the possibilities try cutting them out. That's what I did.

(krisblade got there first:o: )
    yeah i did that, thats why i think it is likely to be dairy.

so i just cut out obvious dairy, if it is a problem this should get rid of or greatly reduce my problems. how long should that take roughly after stopping dairy to having no symptoms.

i ate no dairy today, besides what small amounts might have been in things, and my stomach / etc have been fine all day. no issues. obviously it takes longer than 1 day to spot a pattern though.

bummer if it is dairy. would prefer it to be something else / nothing at all. i'm a veggie, and diabetic, so already have several foods cut from my diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)
    Hi. basically ive had upset stomach type issues (tummy ache, diarhoea etc - all fun stuff) for months now. I saw the dr and sugested i thought it was a side effect of a drug i take. we swapped it to another drug (similar). no change in effects. he asked if it was food related. i said i didnt think so. but perhaps it is.... my issues aren't in a regular pattern, whereas i take my pills in a regular pattern.

so.. question ... how do i find out if its an issue with food. if it is an issue i suspect its dairy - i do have more problems on days ive eaten a lot of dairy. will simply cutting out obvious dairy (milk cheese yoghurt butter) make the problems disapear if they were problem foods? and if the problems stay then theres no problem with those foods i assume.

basically how do i work out which/if any foods are a problem - avoiding those foods (for how long? to what extent?) would be the best method i assume.

(the dr didnt give any advice on how to see if its an issue with food, just sugested it probably is and to watch out for which food causes it).

advice please?
    I read this online last month. Dont know if youd rather do food diaries/nhs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)
    so i just cut out obvious dairy, if it is a problem this should get rid of or greatly reduce my problems. how long should that take roughly after stopping dairy to having no symptoms
    I thought with dairy that you got symptoms fairly soon after eating - both my sister's are dairy intolerant, and that what they say. If it is dairy they take some tablet things so they can still eat it, so maybe you could try that.

ReputationRep:
    i think i've got lactose intolerance.

Sometimes for lunch i have 2 pints of milk and then i'm ******** for hours after it...

ReputationRep:
    My doctor's have all been useless regarding food intolerances. I was told I had IBS, put on 6 different types of medication, none of which helped, before they gave up on me.

Turns out I have some weird intolerance to oats, which I had to find out myself. :rolleyes: No more problems, except not being able to eat hobnobs.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i'm not looking for an offical diagnosis type thing at all, if i can work out what i cant eat and just not eat it and have my symptoms resolved, then thats good by me.

so i havent eaten any dairy today (save a tiny bit in some chocolate i had earlier i guess - tiny amount). and have had no symptoms at all. i think i will continue without dairy for say a week, and see what hapens. for one day it could have been just a one off. but if it lasts for a week then alls good. but i guess i should try some dairy to see what hapens then

if i still have symtoms then its something else and i'll have to figure that out.

sound like a plan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)

advice please?
    I basically had this exact same thing.

We thought it was dairy, so I went onto soya milk... it wasn't dairy.

Wheat, gluten, etc... no.

So I went to a medical herablist (yes, I was sceptical too but my mother was convinced after my sister was miraculously cured...) and I had a Food Intolence/Allergy test in which they took a blood sample.

I found out that it wasn't the milk, it was the tea that I drank that did it. And the orange juice, and the apple juice.

And also the beef.

But the moral of the story is that it worked, and I know now that it's those foods that trigger it....

And my sister had a nasty dry rash thing all over her body that was impossible to control for years. She cut out pork, and now she's totally clear. Had a bit of pork without realising and it came up like crazy.

So i'm pretty convinced. Hope you can find out what it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eden)
    yeah i'm not looking for an offical diagnosis type thing at all, if i can work out what i cant eat and just not eat it and have my symptoms resolved, then thats good by me.

so i havent eaten any dairy today (save a tiny bit in some chocolate i had earlier i guess - tiny amount). and have had no symptoms at all. i think i will continue without dairy for say a week, and see what hapens. for one day it could have been just a one off. but if it lasts for a week then alls good. but i guess i should try some dairy to see what hapens then

if i still have symtoms then its something else and i'll have to figure that out.

sound like a plan?
    Sounds like a good plan!

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure you can get a blood test and then get it tested for allergies and/or intolerances.
    There's actually a few services online. They send you a kit. You just follow instructions, send it back and they send your results back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Echo_Foxtrot)
    I'm pretty sure you can get a blood test and then get it tested for allergies and/or intolerances.
    There's actually a few services online. They send you a kit. You just follow instructions, send it back and they send your results back.
    Yeh I posted an article with a link to one of those kits and they do all diff. kinds of levels of testing.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.