Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • #1
    • Thread Starter

    I don't want to bother my GP unless I'm sure.

    I've experienced bouts of depression before (where I became a threat to myself) but not for 5 years. From November-January I felt very low and found it near impossible to sleep. Went on holiday over the new year and felt better, so came back to uni thinknig I'd gotten over it and now these past two days my mood has crashed back down again despite plenty of exercise, healthy diet etc. ands the sleeping problems have returned.

    I function normally (go to classes etc) but everything I do feels like a physical battle and I don't know what to do to stop myself feeling so crappy. I can sometimes barely string a sentence together and people are starting to notice I'm different.

    Any advice?

    I would go to the GP, if it were me. Having had a history of depression, you know what it is like so you dont want to risk slipping back down there. From what you have described, it goes slightly beyond the usual mood changes someone typically goes through.

    i'd say that definitely sounds like depression, and i'd get yourself to your GP. in any case, you won't be 'bothering' them because that's what they're there for, and they'll be able to help if it's needed.

    if you've experienced depression in the past then it's likely to come back, and it's really not 'normal' to feel so low that everything feels like a physical battle/it becomes hard to even speak. i've been there, so i know how you feel, and i also know it's completely different to simply being 'unhappy'.

    do yourself a favour and take yourself to the GP - you want to get this sorted before it potentially gets worse. it might be as simple as just having someone to talk things through with, but you might need further help. good luck and i hope you feel better soon.

    Well if you feel low most of the time for 2 weeks, that's depression.
    It does sound like you're depressed at the moment but it doesn't sound like its lasted long enough to be classic depression.
    If its really bad then go to your GP anyway, if you tell him about the depression you had in the past then he'll be more inclined to treat you sooner rather than later.

    NHS Direct has a good symptom checker for mental health issues. http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/
    It's quite similar to the kind of questions your GP would ask you anyway, so it's well worth trying.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.