Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, this may seem an very silly question. I know unless you are rejected by all, you can apply thru UCAS extra, however those are the offers which were my back-up, therefore I am not keen on going in those universities(not my top ones anyway). If it's in this case, can you still?

Also, if you actually accepted those offers as your firm and insurance, do you have to go to those universities, even if other better unis decide to accept you at last minute?

Sorry for the confusion

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    Basically, no.

ReputationRep:
    if you get above your offer you're eligible for ucas asjustment
    http://www.ucas.com/students/nextsteps/adjustment/

u can only apply for extra if u have no offers or declined all yor offers

ReputationRep:
    I think you have to decline the offers you currently have before you can apply through ucas extra.

ReputationRep:
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to go to the universities you accepted in first place, even if you did get into a better thru clearing in the end?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unknown88)
    Do you have to go to the universities you accepted in first place, even if you did get into a better thru clearing in the end?
    You can't enter clearing if you have a confirmed offer. You may be able to persuade the university to release you into clearing but it will waste valuable time during which all the clearing vacancies may have gone. Clearing is likely to be a chancy affair again this year due to the rise in applications and the financial cut-backs, so be careful when accepting offers you may not really want to take up.

UCAS Adjustment is a more likely route to somewhere better but many universities simply won't participate or won't have places available.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    You can't enter clearing if you have a confirmed offer. You may be able to persuade the university to release you into clearing but it will waste valuable time during which all the clearing vacancies may have gone. Clearing is likely to be a chancy affair again this year due to the rise in applications and the financial cut-backs, so be careful when accepting offers you may not really want to take up.

UCAS Adjustment is a more likely route to somewhere better but many universities simply won't participate or won't have places available.
    Thanks.
    Does it mean, once I've accepted firm and insurance choice, I can't get into other unis in anyway? But my other uni put me on a waiting list, yet unsuccessful on UCAS track, what should I do? Obv UCAS adjustment is not going to affect much..

ReputationRep:
    Does it mean, once I've accepted firm and insurance choice, I can't get into other unis in anyway?
    Not easily or without considerable risk. Apart from what I described in my earlier post, you could decline all your offers and apply elsewhere in UCAS Extra but this could be suicidal. Think carefully before deciding.

ReputationRep:
    Not easily or without considerable risk. Apart from what I described in my earlier post, you could decline all your offers and apply elsewhere in UCAS Extra but this could be suicidal. Think carefully before deciding.
    Yes I will, what would you do if you were in this situation. If the better uni put you on waiting list, obviously I am just saying I am on a chance, yet not definitely

ReputationRep:
    Yes I will, what would you do if you were in this situation. If the better uni put you on waiting list, obviously I am just saying I am on a chance, yet not definitely
    I'd accept what I had and, if I achieved higher than my firm requirements, try to get into the more favoured one via UCAS Adjustment, reminding them of their waiting list offer to me. That is assuming I was happy to go to the ones I had received offers from, of course.

ReputationRep:
    I'd accept what I had and, if I achieved higher than my firm requirements, try to get into the more favoured one via UCAS Adjustment, reminding them of their waiting list offer to me. That is assuming I was happy to go to the ones I had received offers from, of course.
    Is UCAS adjustment similar to clearing?
    Sorry, what do you mean by 'I was happy to go to the ones I had received offers from' if I get into better uni, or did you mean that I WAS happy anyway?
    Sorry!

ReputationRep:
    Is UCAS adjustment similar to clearing?
    Sorry, what do you mean by 'I was happy to go to the ones I had received offers from' if I get into better uni, or did you mean that I WAS happy anyway?
    Sorry!
    Similar, but only available to those achieving more than their offer required.

I was telling you what I would do (as you asked me to), hence my use of the word "I". I don't know what you think.

ReputationRep:
    Similar, but only available to those achieving more than their offer required.

I was telling you what I would do (as you asked me to), hence my use of the word "I". I don't know what you think.
    Oh right thank you. So it is not clearing then, it is another system for whose achieve higher than expected. Is it similar process with clearing
    Thank you again

ReputationRep:
    Oh right thank you. So it is not clearing then, it is another system for whose achieve higher than expected. Is it similar process with clearing
    Thank you again
    Read the wiki: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ustment_Period

ReputationRep:
    Read the wiki: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ustment_Period
    Can you register now or on results day?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Can you register now or on results day?
    Read the wiki :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I went on my UCAS track, normally on the bottom right, it has new button which says 'Register for adjustment.' But I couldn't find it anywhere, do I have to make my decision first, or?

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I went on my UCAS track, normally on the bottom right, it has new button which says 'Register for adjustment.' But I couldn't find it anywhere, do I have to make my decision first, or?
    That button won't be functional until Results Day, because it is only then that you will know whether you are eligible for Adjustment (ie you have exceeded the terms of your existing firm offer).

On the other issue: if your Track shows unsuccessful then whether or not you were on a waiting list is meaningless. It is theoretically possible for a uni to notify UCAS that its changing a decision from unsuccessful to an offer, in the period before you make your firm and insurance choices, but it's very unlikely to happen. Once you have made your firm and insurance choices, any change that a uni that rejected you might want to make would not register on your Track. So, if you really believe that you are on some kind of waiting list, I should check with the uni concerned what that really means before making your firm/insurance choices. You have at least until early May to do this - your personal deadline will be shown on Track.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minerva)
    That button won't be functional until Results Day, because it is only then that you will know whether you are eligible for Adjustment (ie you have exceeded the terms of your existing firm offer).

On the other issue: if your Track shows unsuccessful then whether or not you were on a waiting list is meaningless. It is theoretically possible for a uni to notify UCAS that its changing a decision from unsuccessful to an offer, in the period before you make your firm and insurance choices, but it's very unlikely to happen. Once you have made your firm and insurance choices, any change that a uni that rejected you might want to make would not register on your Track. So, if you really believe that you are on some kind of waiting list, I should check with the uni concerned what that really means before making your firm/insurance choices. You have at least until early May to do this - your personal deadline will be shown on Track.
    So if you did achieve better grades than your firm and insurances' wanted, could you still try anyway? Has to be specific university?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.