Turn on thread page Beta

DOes anyone know about ways to get the ALevel certificates? My school seems to require people going in in person, but it's a bit far away(and expensive train tickets!) for me to go back from scotland. I've got the AS ones, just the A2 ones that bothers me............

Can I get them sent by post??

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lj789)
    DOes anyone know about ways to get the ALevel certificates? My school seems to require people going in in person, but it's a bit far away(and expensive train tickets!) for me to go back from scotland. I've got the AS ones, just the A2 ones that bothers me............

Can I get them sent by post??

thanks in advance
    My college always does them by post, no silly award ceremony. Talk to your exams officer, as long as you are prepared to accept it's not their fault if they are lost in the post there really should not be a problem.

(Original post by gdunne42)
    My college always does them by post, no silly award ceremony. Talk to your exams officer, as long as you are prepared to accept it's not their fault if they are lost in the post there really should not be a problem.
    Really? That's really handy, cos my school *always* ask people to collect them in person, it's really difficult to take a 4 hour coach to get there (and it has to be between 9 to 4) without skipping some lectures....
    Anyway, just phoned them and after some negotiation, they say as long as i pay for the postage fee they can send it..
    Should I go for First class / Special delivery?? if they get lost i m gonna be in trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lj789)
    Really? That's really handy, cos my school *always* ask people to collect them in person, it's really difficult to take a 4 hour coach to get there (and it has to be between 9 to 4) without skipping some lectures....
    Anyway, just phoned them and after some negotiation, they say as long as i pay for the postage fee they can send it..
    Should I go for First class / Special delivery?? if they get lost i m gonna be in trouble.
    Expensive to replace if lost so yeah, go for some kind of signed-for delivery.

ReputationRep:
    I would recommend a signed for delivery, just to make sure it gets to you. If they ask for a self addressed envelope, go and get a hard card A4 one so that it doesn't get bent in the mail (I think WH Smith and Rymans stock them). They're usually advertised as document envelopes...

(Original post by lareneg)
    I would recommend a signed for delivery, just to make sure it gets to you. If they ask for a self addressed envelope, go and get a hard card A4 one so that it doesn't get bent in the mail (I think WH Smith and Rymans stock them). They're usually advertised as document envelopes...
    Thanks for the envelop reminder!! I think i m gonna go for special delivery. a few certificates shouldn't cost more than 10 pounds(+ A4 hardcard envelop), better than taking a 40 pound coach just to get there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lj789)
    Thanks for the envelop reminder!! I think i m gonna go for special delivery. a few certificates shouldn't cost more than 10 pounds(+ A4 hardcard envelop), better than taking a 40 pound coach just to get there!
    It's worth noting: Special delivery is different to recorded mail.

Recorded mail is recommended for important documents where you need proof that it was sent, and when it was sent. You can track the letter's progress, and it has to be signed for at the end. You pay a flat rate of 75p on top of your normal postage rate - so for first class recorded mail for a large letter (A4 is large letter), it would cost you £1.36 and for second class it would cost you £1.22 provided it weighs no more than 100g. If it gets lost you can claim back the postage and the value of the item up to a value of £39.

Special delivery is recommended for valuable items which need to be delivered very quickly. This is just like recorded mail, except delivery is guaranteed by 1PM the next day. Also, if the item is lost or damaged you can get up to £500 automatic compensation. For a 100g item, it costs £4.95 to send an item by recorded mail.

I would recommend you use recorded mail as it's much cheaper - you can get compensation with recorded mail, it's just a bit more of a hassle as you have to fill in forms and wait a few weeks (whereas with special delivery it seems they'll give you the money automatically without having to claim for it). Both of these services require the sender to go into a branch of the post office, unless they use the Royal Mail's business collections service. I'm not sure how they do recorded mail via business collections. While special delivery guarantees delivery by the next day, I've mailed stuff by first class to the other side of the country by first class and had it arrive the next day - if you don't live far away I'm fairly sure first class will get it to you next day.

(Original post by lareneg)
    It's worth noting: Special delivery is different to recorded mail.

Recorded mail is recommended for important documents where you need proof that it was sent, and when it was sent. You can track the letter's progress, and it has to be signed for at the end. You pay a flat rate of 75p on top of your normal postage rate - so for first class recorded mail for a large letter (A4 is large letter), it would cost you £1.36 and for second class it would cost you £1.22 provided it weighs no more than 100g. If it gets lost you can claim back the postage and the value of the item up to a value of £39.

Special delivery is recommended for valuable items which need to be delivered very quickly. This is just like recorded mail, except delivery is guaranteed by 1PM the next day. Also, if the item is lost or damaged you can get up to £500 automatic compensation. For a 100g item, it costs £4.95 to send an item by recorded mail.

I would recommend you use recorded mail as it's much cheaper - you can get compensation with recorded mail, it's just a bit more of a hassle as you have to fill in forms and wait a few weeks (whereas with special delivery it seems they'll give you the money automatically without having to claim for it). Both of these services require the sender to go into a branch of the post office, unless they use the Royal Mail's business collections service. I'm not sure how they do recorded mail via business collections. While special delivery guarantees delivery by the next day, I've mailed stuff by first class to the other side of the country by first class and had it arrive the next day - if you don't live far away I'm fairly sure first class will get it to you next day.
    thanks for the detailed reply!! added rep for you

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.