Turn on thread page Beta

BMI 15.6 and I look a bit like an AIDS victim watch

Srsly.

It's not anorexia nervosa, it's me being depressed and having no appetite (and feeling ill when I do try and eat a normal sized meal).

Has anyone else been in the same situation?

ReputationRep:
    that's dangerously underweight. eat

ReputationRep:
    Shove it down your mouth regardless of hunger all day every day.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctor.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    My BMI has never been above 16 but I don't look like an AIDS victim. I can't gain weight no matter how much I eat so I've given up on it :king1:

How do you keep your GP off your back, if you don't mind me asking? I am having trouble convincing mine that I don't have an eating disorder. Anyone who's ever lived with me can vouch for how much I eat :sigh:

My BMI has never been above 16 but I don't look like an AIDS victim. I can't gain weight no matter how much I eat so I've given up on it :king1:
    You are very lucky. Are you East Asian? Do you have a small frame?

How do you keep your GP off your back, if you don't mind me asking? I am having trouble convincing mine that I don't have an eating disorder. Anyone who's ever lived with me can vouch for how much I eat :sigh:
    I haven't been in a while.

ReputationRep:
    I can't gain weight no matter how much I eat
    I dont believe you, and would wager my entire lifetime earnings on the fact that you could gain weight with the right diet.

You are very lucky. Are you East Asian? Do you have a small frame?
    :no: Indian dad, Jordanian mum. But you are right about the small frame.

ReputationRep:
    Take some of my food please.

ReputationRep:
    Eat choc and sweets non stop whilst watching tv. its how everyone else does it!

ReputationRep:
    I known a guy who just eats crisps and chocolate, drinks nothing but milkshake and is 140lbs at 6'3", it's ridiculous; if I eat a burger I'll look like John Goodman for the next week.

ReputationRep:
    Srsly.

It's not anorexia nervosa, it's me being depressed and having no appetite (and feeling ill when I do try and eat a normal sized meal).

heya i completely get you!

I'm 5"5ish, nearly 7 stone, i think my BMI is around 14ish? Have you been to a dietician? They put me on a milkshake called a skandishake, and they dont taste too bad, but it helped me put on some pounds..

... But lots of sympathy for people's reactions! Ive had so much bullying about being aneroxic, even one of my teachers was convinced and sent me to counselling. Now my nicknames Fatty, coz I eat so much cake

ReputationRep:
    Srsly.

Maybe not exactly to your extent but yeah I got as low as 8 stone 6 at 5'8 as a guy. Not sure then BMI for that but I believe it's underweight. I've always been skinny but I lost around a stone to get to that weight

In all honesty you're right, it is linked with the depression. I don't know what you do right now(by that I mean as in what you're actually doing in everyday life) as when I was depressed I was bit of a recluse for a few months but general advice? Try to get out, see people, maybe see a counsellor. Feel free to ask more

I saw a comment up their where someone quoted they couldnt put on weight no matter how much they ate, believe me, I understand. I have a huge appetite and I'm still skinnier than most of my friends. There isn't much you can do really, just be comfortable with your weight, I'm borderline underweight now but only just, I don't mind, I'd rather be skinny than overweight. Admittedly weighing a few more pounds would be nice because I'd like to be with in the healthy boundaries properly but I don't see that happening.

If you have to set a timetable of when to eat. Say cereal in the morning - couple of bowls perhaps, I personally eat 6 weetabix when I eat 'breakfast', I normally eat it at night though. Lunch - sandwich, crisps, fruit, chocolate perhaps or soup and bread or something of the sort. Dinner - well I can't tell you what, that's up to your taste but something that fills the plate. Snacks to whenever.

ReputationRep:
    You need to address your depression before your realistically attempt to overcome your lack of appetite.

The more you eat, the more you can learn to physically fit inside you without being sick. You need to train yourself to eat more or else you'll get brittle bones, lose your hair etc.

I used to help on a cancer ward and to bulk them up with their low appetites we gave out nutritional milkshakes. Ask you GP about these they bulk you up a lil and is a drink so less likely to promote a negative response.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is making me hungry.

Do some exercise.

ReputationRep:
    Eat.

Simples.

ReputationRep:

Im like this guy, my BMI is 16, which is 'severely underweight' apparently, but I dont look ill, and im not ill, its just that I cant put on weight no matter what I eat. My doctor is fine with it.

However, if you have lost your appetite, id go and see a doctor and they can do something about it.

ReputationRep:
    I've had the exact same thing - I'm 5'7 and I dropped to under 7st for a while - combination of lack of appetite from antidepressants and me just forgetting to eat.

You really do just need to force yourself to eat. Try setting yourself alarms for about every three hours - you don't have to eat a huge meal each time, just make sure you eat something. And if you eat little and often it'll hopefully help with not feeling so sick (it did a bit for me).

Increase the portion of your meals slowly, so that you won't get sick or feel bloated.
    How much do you eat OP?

ReputationRep:
    Srsly.

I had a BMI of 16 because I refused to eat when I was sad.
    I had to be put on antidepressants and now my is 17.5. i managed to gain a stone over christmas due to the drug im taking and now i have to get CBT.

you may not have anorexic but you may have some form of eating disorder. why are you not eating?
    you need to speak to a counsellor or doctor to work out the reason for not eating. if there are some emotion problems linked to your eating, then you need to sovle those emotional problems out, as the no eating is a form of coping mechanism for surpressed issues.

now if you always had a bmi of 15.6, then it is possible that you have a small body frame. therefore your weight is perfectly normal as you wouldbe naturally thin.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.