Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BMI 15.6 and I look a bit like an AIDS victim Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Such bull. If you eat/don't eat certain types of food for long enough, your weight is gonna change, be that losing or gaining weight. Have you ever seen a dietician go, "Oh this person's weight cannot change. I give up." No! Regardless of your metabolism or whatever, if you consume enough fat, you'll put on fat. It doesn't just disintegrate. If you also cut down on the cardio (you must do lots of cardio to be that thin) and did more weights training at the gym, that would also contribute. I'm not saying you have to gain weight if you don't want to (pretty underweight though), but you could if you REALLY tried properly.

Same goes to the OP. If you don't have an eating disorder, force yourself to eat, or better, make other people force you to eat. Just have small meals around the clock. If you can't do that, consider the possibility you have an eating disorder, and need to seek help for it.
    You are totally wrong. I am exactly the same - 5'8" and just around 8st. I have always been skinny and I eat like an absolute horse. I snack between meals, eat chocolate all the time and STILL eat massive, healthy meals at normal meal times. I am possibly the most unfit person you wil ever meet, I don't do excersise...I'm just lazy. And people hate the fact that I can't put on weight, i do too.
    Since I have been about 14, I have tried and tried to put on weight and nothing I do seems to help. I am most definitely NOT anorexic - clearly, it's just the way I'm built, just as many people will be too. I know this is slightly off topic from the 1st post, but seriously, what you just put could have insulted a few people, you can't just presume that just because someone is tiny and very slim, doesn't mean thet don't eat or do excessive exersise.

ReputationRep:
    cannabis
    munchies

bingo.

Erm, why has noone picked up on the fact that the OP is using a particulalry sick analogy? 'I look a bit like an AIDS victim'? The fact that you're using the appearance of someone with such a horrific disease is a much more pressing problem than your lower-than-average BMI.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    Erm, why has noone picked up on the fact that the OP is using a particulalry sick analogy? 'I look a bit like an AIDS victim'? The fact that you're using the appearance of someone with such a horrific disease is a much more pressing problem than your lower-than-average BMI.
    Because we're not as over-sensitive as you.

ReputationRep:
    Bad appetite is something that could be linked to a number of things, one of them being your depression. Whatever, just see a doctor because 15.6 is getting to starvation. an ideal BMI is about 22. Your body will basically start burning your muscles for energy.

Edit:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    cannabis
    munchies

bingo.
    Or this

joke

(Original post by Antonia87)
    Because we're not as over-sensitive as you.
    Perhaps not, seeing as the majority of TSR appear to be somewhat heartless. But anything that causes others to suffer should not be used as a comparison for something which is nowhere near as much of a problem, in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Srsly.

It's not anorexia nervosa, it's me being depressed and having no appetite (and feeling ill when I do try and eat a normal sized meal).

Has anyone else been in the same situation?

how can you still walk?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Afrotortina)
    heya i completely get you!

I'm 5"5ish, nearly 7 stone, i think my BMI is around 14ish?
    No, your BMI would be 14 if you were 6 stone. Yours is nearly 16.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CT.91)
    You are totally wrong. I am exactly the same - 5'8" and just around 8st. I have always been skinny and I eat like an absolute horse. I snack between meals, eat chocolate all the time and STILL eat massive, healthy meals at normal meal times. I am possibly the most unfit person you wil ever meet, I don't do excersise...I'm just lazy. And people hate the fact that I can't put on weight, i do too.
    Since I have been about 14, I have tried and tried to put on weight and nothing I do seems to help. I am most definitely NOT anorexic - clearly, it's just the way I'm built, just as many people will be too. I know this is slightly off topic from the 1st post, but seriously, what you just put could have insulted a few people, you can't just presume that just because someone is tiny and very slim, doesn't mean thet don't eat or do excessive exersise.
    Agreed, I myself am a guy and have always been skinny, I have never been over 10 stone(highest weight was 9stone 8lb I believe) and I'm 5'8".

ReputationRep:
    op, you look like an aids victim? you have Karposi's Sarcoma?!

ReputationRep:
    Srsly.

It's not anorexia nervosa, it's me being depressed and having no appetite (and feeling ill when I do try and eat a normal sized meal).

Srsly? Fraid I won't be taking you seriously until you ask in a serious way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumorousGent.)
    cannabis
    munchies

bingo.
    This actually does work...

ReputationRep:
    You may think you eat a lot, but if you keep a diary of your food intake, you will discover that you are eating a lot less that you think you are.

I think it's important that you eat a diet high in protein and fat; combine this with some moderate exercise, and you will soon see a difference.

Don't reconcile yourself to your weight.

ReputationRep:
    My BMI has never been above 16 but I don't look like an AIDS victim. I can't gain weight no matter how much I eat so I've given up on it :king1:

How do you keep your GP off your back, if you don't mind me asking? I am having trouble convincing mine that I don't have an eating disorder. Anyone who's ever lived with me can vouch for how much I eat :sigh:
    Yeah My BMI has never gone above 14.5, right now its hovering around the 13.5 mark. At its worst it was probably about 12.7. I'm perfectly healthy, though.

I can't do anything to put on weight either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vintage_007)
    Perhaps not, seeing as the majority of TSR appear to be somewhat heartless. But anything that causes others to suffer should not be used as a comparison for something which is nowhere near as much of a problem, in my opinion.
    Well you totally over-analysed that didnt you. She's not in any way indicating that being underweight is like having AIDS. Just chill out. Jeez.

ReputationRep:
    Go to a doctor please And eat as much as you feel able to. But medical attention may be required. Don't deprive yourself of help.

ReputationRep:
    My sister was in hospital for months/pretty much a year and having to be tube fed when her bmi was 15.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    My sister was in hospital for months/pretty much a year and having to be tube fed when her bmi was 15.
    That's quite different if she was refusing to eat and it's not her natural weight. Presumably she was also under 18?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Grotbag)
    That's quite different if she was refusing to eat and it's not her natural weight. Presumably she was also under 18?
    I never said she was refusing to eat:confused:
    Yes, she is under 18, but even if you are over 18, a bmi under 18.5 is something to be concerned about.

ReputationRep:
    Srsly.

I know exactly how you feel! I have been in the exact same situation.
    I know it might not be ideal but I would advise you to go to a doctor and perhaps he would send you to a psychologist but at least you could try to let it all out as to why you are depressed.

I hope you'll feel better soon amd take care!
    Hope it helps

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.