Turn on thread page Beta

BMI 15.6 and I look a bit like an AIDS victim watch

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to understand from the outside, but it can be SO frustrating and upsetting when people do point out your weight (of which you are already fully aware, thank you) and make comments such as 'you MUST be anorexic' and think they can get away with it! I would never turn to an overweight person and think it perfectly acceptable to say '*insert expletive* me, are you fat!!'

I know I could probably stand to gain quite a few pounds but I don't calorie count, I eat when I'm hungry, snack like crazy and eat basically whatever I feel like (healthy or not). Because I know I'm not starving myself, and I don't have a major problem with food, I refuse to force it down myself when not hungry or create some sort of stupid eating regime. If anything, this is just going to create a problem where there isn't one.

Basically, I just wanted to say that I empathise with you guys who struggle to keep your weight up; it does really suck and is a lot harder to deal with than people realise. And people who reply really ****ishly should just learn that there's a time and a place. When it comes to sensitive issues that are very personal to a lot of people you don't actually sound funny or quick-witted you just sound oh so predictable (come up with something that I haven't heard before and serious kudos) and a bit like ****s.

ReputationRep:
    Even though at the moment you say you dont have anorexia if you are feeling depressed and can't physically eat this could quite easily turn to anorexia without you even knowing.
    it was the samewith my best friend - she got depressed , couldnt eat and now shes in a special anorexia clinct for under 18s !
    she described it as feeling sick when eating and refused to eat at all in front of people in the beginning and i really believe she didnt want to loose weight however as it got on it created a buzz for her when she wouldnt eat and next thing we know she wants to eat but physically can't .... she went numb and described food as begin the same as carrdboard.

i suggest going to your gp and just explaining the situation to you ... they may help you to increase your bmi (ex. prescribe those high calorie milkshakes ) or advise counselling for your depression...

you never know there could be something seriously wrong which may be preventing you from eatting...

theres always patient confidentiality !!

good luck & hope your ok !!

ReputationRep:
    eat yoghurts/soups and things that don't have a lot of texture, it might help feeling sick whenever you eat. and ice cream is good, calorific but not very substantial texture-wise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Srsly.

It's not anorexia nervosa, it's me being depressed and having no appetite (and feeling ill when I do try and eat a normal sized meal).

Has anyone else been in the same situation?
    I used to be in your situation, I was even diagnosed as being malnourished. But the solution really is just to eat, if you work hard enough at it you'll get to a healthhy weight. I gained 5 stone in about 18 months and I have been in the healthy BMI region ever since, after that it's easy to keep yourself at a healthy weighrt . Just don't give up

ReputationRep:
    Try and eat three main meals and two snacks every single day.
    Drink a lot of milk, or even better weightgainer milkshakes like bodybuilders. Have a regime, stick to it and keep a food diary to count calories. It is likely you will find out you aren't actually eating enough after all.

ReputationRep:
    I went through an anorexic phase and nearly died when my immune system pretty much stopped working - my BMI at the time was still not even "underweight" - 18.6 - but now I have pretty low body fat and I've got a BMI of 24.2, so I guess I'm just built heavily - I put on muscle very easily and despite an obscene number of mountain biking/quad biking/parkour accidents I've never broken a bone

ReputationRep:
    I'm in your exact position. My BMI is about 15.6 I found out I weigh 103 pounds, I'm 15 and 5 foot 8. (And I'm a boy which makes it worse). Strangely enough, I've been depressed which is when my weight dropped to this point again. (It was exactly the same last summer when I was on the verge of suicide).

But seriously, I think it's better to at this point begin eating healthy instead of eating greasy food. I have a very fast metabolism which means if I don't eat for a day which I occasionally do, I lose a few pounds. The same thing might occur with you.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I have the same problem. I think my problem is stress, although I do not know what causes it. I would recommend seeing a shrink cos they can help you at least start heading down the right path.

I have no idea why, but my body has turned off any sense of being hungry. It is so messed up, but I just force myself to eat. PM me if you need any help. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    You have to physically exhaust yourself - not dancing or whatever, but hard work - construction, the lawn, help moving heavy objects, re-paint the house, walk the dog ( well, its not that hard, but its still smth) if you have a village - go and help with the garden. I can tell you that there is nothing better for building some muscle and gain weight than hard labour.

If you dont have the opportunity, volunteer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    ... Okay, there is something off with that :eek: . That much fat doesn't vaporise into nothing when it enters your body, either you have the metabolism of Godzilla or there's more to this. Seek a dietician's advice maybe?
    I don't need a dietician's advice, I have considered my options and I am perfectly healthy. I don't have a eating disorder - clearly the metabolism of Godzilla.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.