Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about firming UWE to do English Language and Lingustics and I just wanted to hear some opinions on a few things as I havent been to an open day yet. I was just wondering if anything had any opinions on:
    The general rep of the uni
    Quality of teaching
    Accomadation
    Price of living in Bristol
    Bristol itself
    Nightlife/Music scene in Bristol
    What kind of people to expect there
    If anyone actually does English Language and Lingustics there.

Thanksss +rep for best answer!

ReputationRep:
    I'll answer a few, I've lived in bristol all my life but haven't been to uni (should be going there in sep!!) so I'll answer the bristol related questions.

Bristol itself: It's a beautiful city, but like any cities it also has its rough areas.. but it has plenty of nice places, with beautiful landmarks. It's also a very student orientated city, infact I remember reading somewhere it was voted the 'best city to live in for a student'. There isn't too much crime, I mean.. it has its crime, but not on the scale of London, and it all depends on what area. I live on the south western part of the city and I never hear any sirens.. but when you travel into the centre you tend to hear a few sirens now and then.

Nightlife/Music scene in Bristol: This is probably where Bristol as a city excels in terms of what a student wants. I've read countless people saying Bristol is a fantastic place for nightlife as a university student, and it also has a fantastic music scene, but that would depend on what your music taste is. Bristol is known as the 2nd home to dubstep in the UK, so if you're into your dubstep you're going to love Bristol. But there's also plenty of other big genres of music in Bristol, although I don't know all the places that well if I'm honest.

What kind of people to expect there: Other than alot of people who sound like pirates :P, like I said, it's a big student city, so expect to meet loads of students! I think it's a very friendly city, I've never been mugged or attacked in all my 18 years of living here, but I guess some people will have different experiences, so I won't say the city is 100% friendly :P

The best way to answer all of your questions would be to come visit us, infact there's a UWE open day very soon, on the 6th of February. I'll be going there, and I expect alot of people on here will too, so it would be a great way to answer all your questions at the same time!

EDIT: If you want help with accomodation and stuff the UWE website helped me alot!

http://www.uwe.ac.uk/accommodation/options.shtml << Take a look here, it shows the various accomodation options in UWE.

This website also has a pretty good UWE review that I remember reading sometime last year, although it's still not completed, but the important areas (nightlife, accomodation, transport etc are all covered), take a read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...land_%28UWE%29

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJoeyUK)

Thanksss a lot, thats really helpful. I might come and visit on the 6th[but thats my birthday lol], so it might have to be in March. I really want to come to an open day though because I really like what I've read about it and it's the perfect course.
    Ah I had a look at accomodation on the website and really like the looks of the student village, but it seems so expensive.
    What do you want to study there in sep?

ReputationRep:
    I've been to the UWE accommodation Transom House in the city centre, it's entirely revolting. Avoid it.
    (Note, this is obviously only one of UWE's accommodation sets)
    Just thought I'd put that out there.

My boyfriend goes to UWE studying Biomedical Sciences and loves the uni however.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    I've been to the UWE accommodation Transom House in the city centre, it's entirely revolting. Avoid it.
    (Note, this is obviously only one of UWE's accommodation sets)
    Just thought I'd put that out there.

My boyfriend goes to UWE studying Biomedical Sciences and loves the uni however.
    Lol, thanksss, I dont want to live anywhere revolting[or without my own ensuite]:nah:. So if I go I think I'll deffinatly be applying for accomodation in the student village .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    I'm thinking about firming UWE to do English Language and Lingustics and I just wanted to hear some opinions on a few things as I havent been to an open day yet. I was just wondering if anything had any opinions on:
    Quality of teaching
    Accomadation
    Bristol itself

I would suggest searching the site - for a lot of this, many people have asked and been answered...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    I would suggest searching the site - for a lot of this, many people have asked and been answered...
    Ive probably seached a read it all lol, none of it is very recent though. I also wanted find people that have applied/are taking the same course .

ReputationRep:
    Ive probably seached a read it all lol, none of it is very recent though. I also wanted find people that have applied/are taking the same course .
    A lot of recent stuff has been posted in the UWE forum you just might be swayed by thread titles

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I studied at UWE and I absolutely loved it. They have new accommodation (well about 2 years old) on campus plus an excellent gym. It is, however, about 4 miles out of the city centre. Transom house is abit of a ****hole looks wise!!
    Bristol is a lovely city. Lots to do and see, obviously it has its rough parts as pointed out by another poster. As for music, again, has a real variety from your funky house to heavy metal!
    I would definitely recommend UWE but as people are saying travel down and have a look round

ReputationRep:
    Quality of teaching
    Accomadation
    Bristol itself

My boyfriend has an offer from UWE and I'm firming Bristol, so I've looked into the city quite a bit (not visited yet though).

The city looks amazing. Loads of shops, restaurant, clubs, five different cinemas, everything you could ever want basically. According to NME it's the best university city for nightlife. UWE have loads of cool-sounding societies, plus there's loads of events going on, like a hot air balloon festival and the only student led national film festival. You definitely won't be stuck for things to do there!
    I haven't looked at UWE's accomodation (although it should be on their website) but at Bristol uni I'll be spending just over £2k a year on accomodation.

Plus there's loads of things about Bristol that make it sound really cool (although this is probably just me being silly :teehee:) like Skins and Wallace and Gromit and there's loads of Banksy's artwork there and other things that make it one of the 5 cities of 'cultural excellence'.

ReputationRep:
    For example 'hello im after advice on uwe' - 5 days old

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xmarilynx)
    at Bristol uni I'll be spending just over £2k a year on accomodation.

Plus there's loads of things about Bristol that make it sound really cool (although this is probably just me being silly :teehee:) like Skins and Wallace and Gromit and there's loads of Banksy's artwork there and other things that make it one of the 5 cities of 'cultural excellence'.
    Thanks for the reply.

:eek: The accomodation I'm looking at on the uwe website is just over 5k a year, unless im reading it wrong.
    Skins actually came into my mind when looking at Bristol lol, I love skins. Can't wait to see the new season tonight.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, thanksss, I dont want to live anywhere revolting[or without my own ensuite]:nah:. So if I go I think I'll deffinatly be applying for accomodation in the student village .
    The Marketgate house in the city centre also has ensuite, and is alot cheaper than the student village. It seems we're both in the same boat, I would ideally want to go to the student village but it costs a little too much, I think I'll probably stay at Marketgate.. it has ensuite, close to the city centre, therefore close to all the night life, and is only a short bus journey away from the campus.

ReputationRep:
    The Marketgate house in the city centre also has ensuite, and is alot cheaper than the student village. It seems we're both in the same boat, I would ideally want to go to the student village but it costs a little too much, I think I'll probably stay at Marketgate.. it has ensuite, close to the city centre, therefore close to all the night life, and is only a short bus journey away from the campus.
    Hmm I might have to look there instead then, unless my dad wants to help me out, because I ideally want to live in the student village haha:p:.

ReputationRep:
    Me too.. i'm not sure if my loan will cover it though, and if it does.. I'll have barely anything left spare lol. But the student village has like 2k people, where as Marketgate only has 500.. so there will be a much better sense of community in the student village too I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Also, my conditional offer reads: This offer is subject to you obtaining A minimum of 260 UCAS Tariff points from at least 2 A Levels. Theres no way I can get 260 from 2 A Levels, not even my 3 A Levels add up to that because I totally messed them up. However, Ive taken 3 extra AS levels. I rang up uwe and asked someone if I can include these in the final total and they said yes but I getting worried they made a mistake and and didnt really understand what I was saying. I'm robably just being silly though:p:.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol is an absoloutely awesome city and Marketgate is a great place to live (I was there in my first year ).

UWE itself however leaves a lot to be desired, at least it does in my case. I'm in my third and final year and I really dislike the place. I rushed into making the choice and kinda went because a few of my friends were going too and.. yeah.. 'tis a bit regrettable.

ReputationRep:
    Also, my conditional offer reads: This offer is subject to you obtaining A minimum of 260 UCAS Tariff points from at least 2 A Levels. Theres no way I can get 260 from 2 A Levels, not even my 3 A Levels add up to that because I totally messed them up. However, Ive taken 3 extra AS levels. I rang up uwe and asked someone if I can include these in the final total and they said yes but I getting worried they made a mistake and and didnt really understand what I was saying. I'm robably just being silly though:p:.
    Is says at least 2 a levels so yes of course you can use 3 and 3 as levels - thats like 4.5 alevels which is more than 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spice_Weasel)
    Bristol is an absoloutely awesome city and Marketgate is a great place to live (I was there in my first year ).

UWE itself however leaves a lot to be desired, at least it does in my case. I'm in my third and final year and I really dislike the place. I rushed into making the choice and kinda went because a few of my friends were going too and.. yeah.. 'tis a bit regrettable.
    What are you studying? Im in third, not final, year.

ReputationRep:
    Me too.. i'm not sure if my loan will cover it though, and if it does.. I'll have barely anything left spare lol. But the student village has like 2k people, where as Marketgate only has 500.. so there will be a much better sense of community in the student village too I guess.
    I dont think my loan will at all, I mean I could just risk it, apply there, pay in installments and pray I can get a job before I run out of money or work like mad over the summer to help pay for it.... Im confused!
    There will be a muchhh better sense of community in the student village I'd imagine, I just really like the thought of living there:o: .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.