Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    I dont think my loan will at all, I mean I could just risk it, apply there, pay in installments and pray I can get a job before I run out of money or work like mad over the summer to help pay for it.... Im confused!
    There will be a muchhh better sense of community in the student village I'd imagine, I just really like the thought of living there:o: .
    It probably wouldnt - are you elligible for the UWE bursary? And yeh youd need to work enough for all your food each week, to buy clothes, drinks, fancy dress, club entry, bus fare, books (hundreds of pounds)..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    It probably wouldnt - are you elligible for the UWE bursary? And yeh youd need to work enough for all your food each week, to buy clothes, drinks, fancy dress, club entry, bus fare, books (hundreds of pounds)..
    No I'm not, and I'm sure the loan deffinatly wont cover it. I dunno what to do:dontknow:.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm not, and I'm sure the loan deffinatly wont cover it. I dunno what to do:dontknow:.
    Either get a summer job or live in Marketgate :p: It doesn't look that bad.. infact if you watch the videos on the UWE website it looks kind of nice. I think it would be more beneficial to live in the centre though, you'd have much more money out of your loan to spend on stuff you need, I have a mate who lives in the student village and he's always going on about having no money whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJoeyUK)
    Either get a summer job or live in Marketgate :p: It doesn't look that bad.. infact if you watch the videos on the UWE website it looks kind of nice. I think it would be more beneficial to live in the centre though, you'd have much more money out of your loan to spend on stuff you need, I have a mate who lives in the student village and he's always going on about having no money whatsoever.
    :yes: I'm deffinatly going to get a summer job and save every bit of money I get otherwise, I sure itll all be fine lol:p:.
    Ill have a look at the videos and Marketgate though, might be a better idea afterall.

ReputationRep:
    :yes: I'm deffinatly going to get a summer job and save every bit of money I get otherwise, I sure itll all be fine lol:p:.
    Ill have a look at the videos and Marketgate though, might be a better idea afterall.
    here is it, just incase you couldn't find it: http://www.uwe.ac.uk/accommodation/accomm_city.shtml

Infact it's kind of a overall review of all the accomodation in the centre.. there's also another video which covers on-campus accomodation, which is here: http://www.uwe.ac.uk/accommodation/a...frenchay.shtml

ReputationRep:
    here is it, just incase you couldn't find it: http://www.uwe.ac.uk/accommodation/accomm_city.shtml

Infact it's kind of a overall review of all the accomodation in the centre.. there's also another video which covers on-campus accomodation, which is here: http://www.uwe.ac.uk/accommodation/a...frenchay.shtml
    Thankyou. It looks quite nice actually, I still know which one I'd prefer though:p:.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about firming UWE to do English Language and Lingustics and I just wanted to hear some opinions on a few things as I havent been to an open day yet. I was just wondering if anything had any opinions on:
    The general rep of the uni
    Quality of teaching
    Accomadation
    Price of living in Bristol
    Bristol itself
    Nightlife/Music scene in Bristol
    What kind of people to expect there
    If anyone actually does English Language and Lingustics there.

Thanksss +rep for best answer!
    Hey, I'm a second year at UWE, doing your course!

Teaching quality - some teachers are fantastic, other suck. There seems to be a 50/50 divide between English lecturers and foreign lectures in this subject, which was a massive surprise to me - I couldn't understand why a German guy was teaching me English Language! But you get used to it.

You'll be in uni eight hours each week most likely, and the first year workload is more than manageable - so you'll have plenty of time to get a job or pursue other hobbies. Your first assessed pieces of work will be due in Dec/Jan, and if you're anything like me, you'll do **** all for the first two months before starting them.

A word of advice - the reading list they give you in the first term, there's not much point buying any of the books because the first semester is coursework-based so you'll use the books mainly for referencing in your essays. They'll give you chapters to read, but if possible just hire the book from the library. I've got so many books just sitting around that I didn't really need. Definitely buy the recommended books in the second semester though, it's all exam stuff! Generally, the first semester and second semester topics are different - so what you cover in the autumn won't come up on your exam in the summer, so after Xmas you can forget everything if you so wish You'll have to double-check it's still the same, though.

I stayed in Carroll Court on campus, which was alright, obviously the Student Village is gorgeous though. Marketgate is the party halls from what I've heard, and slap bang in the centre, great for shops and buses. I'm not sure but you may have to fork out for a bus pass. (Look into it before you rush into buying one, though. See how many times you're in uni each week, how much annual/termly/monthly bus passes are and calculate which one will save you money! For example, I'm in twice a week so spending £250 on a bus pass is a waste of money for me, when I only spend £5 each week travel-wise.)

Depending what crowd you fall into, the nightlife in Bristol is pretty normal. There is a good dubstep scene if you're into that. The shops are pretty normal too.

I was expecting the typical student to be dressed like a mad artist, but all the 'arty' courses are based on the smaller campuses and you'll be on Frenchay, so everyone dresses rather normal! It was a culture shock for me, being with people who'd been to private school and had rich daddies and stuff, but there are plenty of paupers too there are also plenty of hot boys. The majority of people are southerners, though you will come across the odd Northerner (like me)!

Compared to Manchester, Bristol is pretty warm and doesn't rain that often, which is cool.

Freshers' week is fantastic, make sure you get involved

Feel free to reply/PM with more questions!

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and the first girl in the accommodation vid is me :facepalm: I looked AWFUL that day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    Oh, and the first girl in the accommodation vid is me :facepalm: I looked AWFUL that day!
    Lol you looked fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixira)
    Thanks so much for answering this!
    Do you find the course interesting and is a very different from A-Level English Language?
    How did you manage to pay from everything? My student loan wont even cover the accomodation[though I think my dad has decided to just pay for it], but Im going to HAVE to get a part time job, do you know how easy it will be to get one?
    Is everyone friendly? Im nervous:o: lol.
    Thanksss

I think you look nice in the video btw:yep:.

ReputationRep:
    It is definitely interesting, a lot more independent than at A-Level, less spoon-fed. I did Lang/Lit so it was a bit different.

The modules we did in first year included sociolinguistics, child language acquisition, textual analysis, history of English, world Englishes, nature of language, morphology and phonology.

Yeah the people are friendly especially when you're all first years... you've probably heard the 'in the same boat' expression!

Ahh I'm a daddy's girl too, he paid my accommodation. But apply early on in the term and you should find it easy to get a job - on campus in the SU bar or shops, or in the city, there are so many shops and restaurants one of them's gotta hire you! Everyone I know who's tried to get a job has succeeded.

As boring as it sounds, a budget is a good idea - work out how much money you have each term (ie. before the next loan comes in ) then divide it by however many weeks there are until the next loan.

No problemo

ReputationRep:
    My dad is a meany and won't help me out to pay for the student village accomodation But I gave it some thought and decided Markgetgate probably suits me more anyway.. closer to the centre, closer to the night life, closer to the boxing gym, and closer to home!

I'mma going to the open day this sat so hopefully I'll get a chance to look in the marketgate accomodation, I was told that they sometimes have coaches that leave from frenchay campus that go down into the centre? would save me walking back to the bus stop :p:

ReputationRep:
    My dad is a meany and won't help me out to pay for the student village accomodation But I gave it some thought and decided Markgetgate probably suits me more anyway.. closer to the centre, closer to the night life, closer to the boxing gym, and closer to home!

I'mma going to the open day this sat so hopefully I'll get a chance to look in the marketgate accomodation, I was told that they sometimes have coaches that leave from frenchay campus that go down into the centre? would save me walking back to the bus stop :p:
    They always have buses from frenchay to the centre, from the frenchay bus stops. No idea of cost. Timetables are here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    They always have buses from frenchay to the centre, from the frenchay bus stops. No idea of cost. Timetables are here
    Yeah I know, I meant that I was told that UWE have coaches running from the campus down to the city centre accomodation as part of the open day.. kinda like a accomodation tour I guess. Guess I should of been more clearer.

Isn't too much of a problem though, if not I'll just hop on the 70 back to broadmead and walk to MarketGate.. or will I have to be apart of the tour to be alllowed inside to take a look around?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know, I meant that I was told that UWE have coaches running from the campus down to the city centre accomodation as part of the open day.. kinda like a accomodation tour I guess. Guess I should of been more clearer.

Isn't too much of a problem though, if not I'll just hop on the 70 back to broadmead and walk to MarketGate.. or will I have to be apart of the tour to be alllowed inside to take a look around?
    Tour only as youd have to go with a UWE member and they usually just do it when they have groups or at a specific time...you should really look these things up yourself its easy - done, others

ReputationRep:
    I went to UWE opem day yesterday had a great time in Bristol was impressed with frenchey campus very modern and start of art compare to st matts which is old and crusty lol. Bristol seems more relaxed compared to london i hope i get to go there seems like a vibrant and multicultural city whith so much to offer me plus onlu 1 hour 45 mins from my home town of London wooo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcollo)
    I went to UWE opem day yesterday had a great time in Bristol was impressed with frenchey campus very modern and start of art compare to st matts which is old and crusty lol. Bristol seems more relaxed compared to london i hope i get to go there seems like a vibrant and multicultural city whith so much to offer me plus onlu 1 hour 45 mins from my home town of London wooo
    lol glad you liked the looks, which course have you applied for? Is it on Frenchay?

ReputationRep:
    Journalism and Media and Cultural Studies at school of creative arts st Matthias but think there movin in 2011 to Frenchey

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for answering this!
    Do you find the course interesting and is a very different from A-Level English Language?
    How did you manage to pay from everything? My student loan wont even cover the accomodation[though I think my dad has decided to just pay for it], but Im going to HAVE to get a part time job, do you know how easy it will be to get one?
    Is everyone friendly? Im nervous:o: lol.
    Thanksss

I think you look nice in the video btw:yep:.
    Just saw this and had to say:

Walk round 'The Mall' at Cribbs Causeway and look for jobs being advertised / apply for anything you're interested in as soon as you get there. There's nearly always tons of available jobs there in September every year as people are going back to uni etc.
    Places like Boots seem to always have something going Town is actually probably harder to get a job in these days, most of my friends work in North Brizzle.

P.S. I know a couple of people in 1st/2nd year of the course you're doing and they're really enjoying it Apparently the lecturers are pretty good on the course and such like. (I'm doing the same course in Cardiff btw)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcollo)
    Journalism and Media and Cultural Studies at school of creative arts st Matthias but think there movin in 2011 to Frenchey
    is that just a rumour or actually a fact. We're on the same course, where are you planning on staying? I really want to stay in the city center, but im not sure if the travel between st matts and -say nelson house- is too much of a fuss. But if the course is really moving the Frenchay, it'd be ok.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 4, 2010
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.