Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Greetings all

I cracked out a 3 litre bottle of cider about 4 weeks ago.
    I just found it hiding away, it still has a good litre of the good stuff left inside.

I'm just wondering - any thoughts on whether it'll still be okay to drink?

Obviously stuff like voddie, gin, rum ... etc. doesn't go off because the alcolol just kills all the bacteria, but is that the case with a 5% cider?

And I'm aware that it'll probably have lost its fizz - not fussed really.

Thanks for any help

ReputationRep:
    It wont kill you.

ReputationRep:
    Excellent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr_Pwn)
    Excellent
    hahah you have got to be a jackie from Glasgow, if your asking that hahah! :woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Make punch, it'll mask the taste. And if you add lemonade it will become fizzy once more.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, just chuck loads of vodka or summat in to make it safe
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It depends on how much chemicals they've put in it. The cheaper it was, the more chemicals it has.
    With really good cider, it will go 'off' overnight...it won't kill you (I hope/think) but the longer you leave it the worse it tastes. I remember once we left a bottle of opened cider in the warm for a couple of months...and that particular cider was notorious for going off extremely quickly. I honestly felt physically sick after just smelling it, let alone tasting it.

TL;DR: try and it and see if it tastes ok, if it's cheap cider (and 3L bottles usually indicate it is cheap) then it might taste alright. It shouldn't be dangerous.

ReputationRep:
    ha what a classic thread, love the levels of desperation you're going to - we've all been there. It'll be alright to drink but will taste horrible, do what superwolf said, add lemonade to it and put it in the fridge for a bit so its cold and fizzy.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    A general rule of thumb with food and drink.

If it looks OK and smells OK, try it. If it tastes OK, it's good to eat/drink.

ReputationRep:
    Get it down you son. Im sure we'll read about it on here tomorrow if it all goes terribly wrong. And learn from your mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    what an awesome find! i love it when i discover alcohol i'd forgotten about.

basically the same as everyone else, try it and see.. although you may want to google it first (as we all know google in omniscient ruler of the universe)

ReputationRep:
    Basically , if you dont want it , i will be happy to drink it and let you know the outcome.
    Few heavily salted snacks to go with it and bingo.

ReputationRep:
    You will be pleased to hear that the cider went to good use.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I'd drink it I keep cider bottles open for ages. I should imagine the cap was on the bottle? if so surely it'll be fineee!

ReputationRep:
    ewww cider >.>

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about the physiological effects but we drank half of a 3 litre Frosty Jack's bottle, left it in the fridge and tried drinking the rest 2 weeks later, we almost died from the taste (I couldn't even take a gulp, Frosty Jack's is difficult enough to drink when it hasn't gone off, let alone when it has).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.