Travelling across USA - where shall i go? Watch

holly_v
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I've always wanted to travel across America (USA) just because it seems so varied culturally. I'd want to go the obvious places like NY but to be honest I want to see the geographical sites and places that are maybe a bit neglected just because they aren't as 'urbanised' as places like the east coast. I was thinking over the period of about four months so its quite a lot of time to travel to places but I was just wondering if there were any recommendations of places i have to go and visit? Any particularly nice towns/cities or places of historical/geographical interest? Thanks guys
sbarrie2
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
if you want breath-taking scenery then go to Alaska.
emmers
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by holly_v)
I've always wanted to travel across America (USA) just because it seems so varied culturally. I'd want to go the obvious places like NY but to be honest I want to see the geographical sites and places that are maybe a bit neglected just because they aren't as 'urbanised' as places like the east coast. I was thinking over the period of about four months so its quite a lot of time to travel to places but I was just wondering if there were any recommendations of places i have to go and visit? Any particularly nice towns/cities or places of historical/geographical interest? Thanks guys
watch/ read stephen fry in america. he visited every state and less well known attractions in them
FormerlyHistoryStudent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Santa Fe, Montgomery, Savannah, Sequoia National Park, Shenandoah National Park, Lassen Volcanic National Park, Grand Teton National Park, Glacier National Park?
hellobabes
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Definitely go to the Grand Canyon and yes I would go to Alaska as it looks breathtaking! San Diego due to the gorgeous beaches etc and Hawaii for the volcanoes and natural beauty. I would also try small states such as Rhode Island which looks very pretty and Maine, although I'm not sure if there's a lot there. You said about going to New York which is an amazing city but why not combine that with a visit to Cape Cod? It's a seaside resort which is absolutely lovely! I've been to Boston which is a very sweet town (rather small and not much to see but still nice and very safe).
rubyjane
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hiii I'm going during April and May for two months I wanna see NY etc too, all the obvious stuff, bgi cities and US culture, but then like Grand Canyon Nation Park, the Rocky Mountains, New Mexico, Colarado, California, Yosemite National Park, Oregon for the scenery
Depends what kind of scenery you prefer?

They have amazing desert landscapes, mountain landscapes, wooded landscapes, valleys, beachy coasts, rocky coasts...pretty much everything! You could probably do it all in four months

Also, Alaska would be amazing too, but it's pretty far away really, so it's up to you.
Student2806
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Arches National Park.
Anywhere in Wyoming is pretty amazing scenery wise.
this-is-sparta
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Calabasas
LondonMinx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You have to visit the Grand Canyon. No doubt about it.
Chas
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Chicago is a great city to see.
EvilSheep
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I second Chicago..
FireAndIce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Im doing a mini tour this summer
Im going Chicago, Salt Lake City and then driving round yellowstone in a camper van...

I obviously havent been yet, but Yellowstone looks incredible - especially if you go off the beaten track!
Jay-ce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Go to California and drive down Highway 1..it is a coastal road and there is beautiful scenery and some really sweet little towns... Solvang is this really cool danish town in the middle of the Santa Barbara wine country.... so weird.

San Francisco, Santa Barbara, Monterey, Carmel...

San Diego and Joshua Tree national park?

Colorado is nice too...
Arizona and the grand canyon?

Sounds like a fun trip.
Playboy King
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Vegas, baby :cool:
It's geographical, you have all these girls with massive mountains on their chest :rolleyes:
No seriously though, focus on rural areas if you want but Vegas is a must!
motoroller
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I went on a 13,000 mile roadtrip, 36 states... PM me!
ChrisBan
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by motoroller)
I went on a 13,000 mile roadtrip, 36 states... PM me!
Cor.. how much that set you back?
andy12691
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by holly_v)
You definitely should go to Seattle which I've always considered as my second home and maybe San Francisco, it's lovely .
emmaxoxo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You'll have to get a Visa for 4 months, but you probably won't be eligable for any of them, just for the purpose of travel. UK Citizens are only allowed in USA for up to 90days, without a Visa.

There is soo much to see in America, is hard to choose. Many you should just try and focus on one area i.e East Coast, West Coast or Middle America.
Miss.B
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I traveled across the states a couple of years ago, and one of the best places I went to was White Sands National Park in New Mexico - it amazed me because it is literally, a brilliant, pure white sand dune desert!

It was sort of unbelievable to be driving along a normal road, then suddenly on each side of the road it starts to turn to sand - but pure white sand dunes that are 6 ft high.

Zion National park is another great place to visit - and has good hiking opportunities too...
motoroller
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ChrisBan)
Cor.. how much that set you back?
Far too much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (153)
27.42%
No (405)
72.58%

Watched Threads