Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sometimes I feel like topping mysel just so I can get away. Watch

I've been in hospital a few nights for 3 previous "mini" overdoses and honestly I preffered being there than here. I felt safe and calm.

The previous overdoses I took were not because I was suicical - I was just angry, stressed and didn't know what else to do.
    One of my keyworkers suggested we do some family sessions, so that I can talk to my parents with a "referee" there, but my parents refuse to take part.

I'm 18 btw, I had to leave uni because of mental health (psychosis, depression etc) and now I'm stuck at home desperately looking for a job but getting nowhere because, as my Dad says, I'm unpredictable so nobody will want me.

My keyworker says I should text her if I am going to hurt myself, but I am so ashamed of the reason I want to do it ... I feel like a cop-out and that I don't deserve keyworkers when there are so many other peopel they could be helping.

ReputationRep:
    Wow your parents sound a bit harsh they don't want to even help you with your problem. Have you tried another close family member maybe a grand parent or auntie/uncle you can really trust.

But don't top yourself thats the cop out way and selfish.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: i know it feels like it at the moment, but ending everything really isn't the answer.

i'm not gonna lecture you on how 'you have so much to live for' and 'the best is yet to come' blah blah blah but really, you have to keep going because you just do. no matter how bad/futile things feel at the moment, it honestly doesn't mean that things will always be this way. it might last a little while, and it might last a long while, but it really won't be forever.

that's awful that you're parents aren't being helpful, but perhaps (deep down) they're terrified and just don't know what to do? perhaps they don't want to admit that their child has a serious problem? i'm not saying that's right, but what i am saying is that it doesn't necessarily mean that they don't care/you aren't loved.

the best thing you can do for yourself at the moment is just to take care of yourself and do whatever it takes to get better. be honest with everyone around you, especially your keyworker - who you do deserve because you wouldn't have one if you didn't. now probably isn't the best time to be looking for a job if you're going through severe depression/psychosis, but once you've got the help you need, you'll be able to re-evaluate things and decide what you want to do. you are unpredictable now, yeah, but that's because you're going through a lot. it doesn't have to be a permanent thing.

you never know, if you get the right help and manage to get through this then you might find yourself with a great new job/friends/interests a few years down the line, and you could be so much happier than you are now. obviously it's not guaranteed, but you'll never know if you give up. please hang in there and seek the help you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I've been in hospital a few nights for 3 previous "mini" overdoses and honestly I preffered being there than here. I felt safe and calm.

The previous overdoses I took were not because I was suicical - I was just angry, stressed and didn't know what else to do.
    One of my keyworkers suggested we do some family sessions, so that I can talk to my parents with a "referee" there, but my parents refuse to take part.

I'm 18 btw, I had to leave uni because of mental health (psychosis, depression etc) and now I'm stuck at home desperately looking for a job but getting nowhere because, as my Dad says, I'm unpredictable so nobody will want me.

My keyworker says I should text her if I am going to hurt myself, but I am so ashamed of the reason I want to do it ... I feel like a cop-out and that I don't deserve keyworkers when there are so many other peopel they could be helping.
    youre parents are being really harsh, but if tey dont want take part then theres nothing you can do. Your keyworker is there to help YO. They could be helping other people and youre one of them. ext her and talk to er
    :console:

Oh I didn't think I had posted this in the end
    Thanks for the nice answers though they were very helpful

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.