Turn on thread page Beta

Rippetoe / Starting Strength queries - look here watch

ReputationRep:
    Well I've decided that I'm gonna follow most people's advice and just go with Starting Strength. Heard a lot of good things about it and it does seem like the best thing to choose. I just had a couple of questions about it though; as a novice I'm trying to understand exactly how you do the exercises online and through videos but obviously you can't learn properly unless you do it yourself. I was just wondering about the risk of injury for a first-timer and everything.

I mean I've bench-pressed a bit before but at 5'9" and 145lbs I'm pretty skinny and could do only about 65lbs which from what I've heard is really crap for a beginner. Also did some squats and could only manage about 90lbs or so (and that was really pushing it). This was when I was going a bit with my friend and the programme is meant to be so you add a bit of weight each time you do the exercise (like the next time) but I sort of followed a *******ised version and my BP wasn't going up at all and neither were my squats. Just worried I'll begin with something light and it'll take ages to move on from it.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you're having enough calories and sleep and the weights will build up ( with good form of course ).

GOMAD

ReputationRep:
    This is what starting strength is for. Everyone has to start somewhere

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just get the book? It gives very detailed instructions on the lifts and how to start everything off. There's a damn chapter for every single lift, plus assistance lifts.

If not that, just read the hell out of the wiki, all your questions have been answered there.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi..._Strength_Wiki

ReputationRep:
    SS recommends that you hit your 3x5 PRs in your 4-6th week. I'd thus recommend for you starting with the bar for squats/bench/press/powercleans and a bit more for deadlifts.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm gonna begin following the starting strenght programme from next week. I chose the original novice workout, which follows:

Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power Clean

Just a few questions....

1. How often do i do these workouts in a week, is it workout A on monday and then 2/3 day rest then workout B?

2. Why do i squat twice a week and only deadlift once?

3. Can i substitute the power cleans for an alternative excercise (if any)?

All help appreciated.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Do it every other day. Actually You're squatting 3 x a week

And depending on which week it is, you deadlift 2x a week.

There is ABSOLUTELY no substitute for power cleans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)

Cheers for the info.

Shame about the power cleans

You know any good videos that show how a power clean is performed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)

Rows?

ReputationRep:
    The only substitute for powercleans are pendlay rows.
    And workouts go like this

Monday - Workout A
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

Wednesday - Workout B
    Squat
    Overhead press
    Cleans or rows

Friday - Workout A
    Squat
    Bench
    Deadlift

Saturday Sunday - Rest

Then start wiith workout B on monday

ReputationRep:
    Can this please be made a sticky, there are far to many simple questions being asked about the starting strength routine and they are just pointless. So if you have a question post it here and it will be answered, simple as that.

(if it is made a sticky i will change this post to information regarding starting strength so people can read through it and if they still have questions they can ask away)

ReputationRep:

Power cleans are actually pretty simple if you split them up into groups.

ReputationRep:
    Rows are ok but no where near as effective as cleans.

Rows are slow and easy to cheat.

Cleans on the other hand, you can't jerk the bar off, because you'll **** yourself up. It builds a lot of explosive power as well as working your entire body intensively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellingham)
    Can this please be made a sticky, there are far to many simple questions being asked about the starting strength routine and they are just pointless. So if you have a question post it here and it will be answered, simple as that.

(if it is made a sticky i will change this post to information regarding starting strength so people can read through it and if they still have questions they can ask away)
    Bit pointless. There's already a decent wiki and of course, the book.

ReputationRep:
    Rip has never said rows are a substitute for cleans. He once mentioned, that if there is some reason you can't do cleans (your old and crippled), then rows aren't the worst thing to do. And he has since stated that comment is his single greatest regret in his entire existence.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really want to make a thread just for this, but I have a question regarding SS. I didn't start with SS when I first entered the gym, yet I was wondering whether it would still be beneficial if I switched to it now. My stats. ~173cm, 72kg, 1RM: DL 140, Sq 85 (think I can improve this to maybe 100 within the next two weeks, pretty new to these), BP 90 and I Ohp 50 5x5.

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tompazr)
    Don't really want to make a thread just for this, but I have a question regarding SS. I didn't start with SS when I first entered the gym, yet I was wondering whether it would still be beneficial if I switched to it now. My stats. ~173cm, 72kg, 1RM: DL 140, Sq 85 (think I can improve this to maybe 100 within the next two weeks, pretty new to these), BP 90 and I Ohp 50 5x5.

Thanks in advance
    Uh, yeah.

Wait you bench more than you squat? Wtf?

ReputationRep:
    Started squats but a few weeks ago.

ReputationRep:
    So is this gonna get stickied or what? I am not going to bother editing the OP with loads of starting strength info unless it will become a sticky

Merged the recent ones together, for now, and given the thread an ironic pink colour to make it stand out. I see no reason to Sticky it.

ellingham / others: Put together a guide and a proper first post will be made, Sticky added to, and wiki edited.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.