Turn on thread page Beta

Rippetoe / Starting Strength queries - look here watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by korektphool)
    SS recommends that you hit your 3x5 PRs in your 4-6th week. I'd thus recommend for you starting with the bar for squats/bench/press/powercleans and a bit more for deadlifts.
    No you are thinking of some internet program.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    He's thinking of SS for people who've lifted before, I think.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    He's thinking of SS for people who've lifted before, I think.
    No one really knows what he's thinking of, really. Sounds like some weird amalgamation of Starting Strength and Madcow's 5x5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    No one really knows what he's thinking of, really. Sounds like some weird amalgamation of Starting Strength and Madcow's 5x5.
    It's quite a while since I read SS but if I remember correctly, there's a bit about people coming back to lifting after time out/injury, and Rippetoe says they should program to hit their 5RMs in week 4-6.

I'll see if I can find it on the wiki.

Edit - But yeah, for the OP this is irrelevant anyway because he's a beginner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by burningnun)
    No I'm thinking of SS.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm thinking of SS.
    What weight should I start with during the first week?

The weight you use is going to be determined by the amount you can do for 5 repetitions with proper execution and technique.

The way the "first day" is explained in Starting Strength, the trainee warms up with the bar, then adds a bit of weight and does a set of 5. The bar speed will be identical from set to set. Continue to add weight and do sets of 5 until the speed of the barbell begins to slow.. Keep the weight there and perform 2 more sets with this weight. That is your first "3 sets of 5" workout for that exercise.

I'm an experienced lifter and I already know my 5RM's in the five lifts. Can I use that?

You can. Just program it so that you hit your former 5RM's in Week 4-6. This means subtracting 60-90 pounds off your Squat and Deadlift and 30-45 pounds off your Bench, Press and Powerclean.
    The OP definitely sounds like a noob and not an experienced lifter.

ReputationRep:
    Can I do SS+cardio?
    I'm pretty much looking to lose weight and gain muscle, which from what I understand, which is not alot, I might aswel stick to SS and let cell metabolism use the fat I have; but the problem is that I dont want to turn out huge just fairly decent with a low enough body fat% for some definition. Which comes with diet I assume but yeah, SS + Cardio ?

And will the staff at gym teach/show me how to do the excercises? I have a feeling im going to end up smashing the barbell in my face during a powerclean lol!

ReputationRep:
    The fact of the matter is that unless your power clean technique is great, you'll fail to make the sort of progress you're supposed to on SS. Unless you're specifically concerned with the results that follow peculiarly from PCs, you may well do better by substituting rows and weighted chins (for example). Rippetoe might insist you become proficient in them by any means necessary, but if you have an enormous struggle - with what IS a highly technical exercise - then you shouldn't waste your time.

ReputationRep:
    Two quick questions:

1. What's the difference between Pendlay Rows and regular bent-over rows? Having read the Stronglifts article on them, I still can't quite figure out the difference.

2. If access to a squat rack is limited for some time, are Bulgarian Split Squats with dumbbells a good alternative? Having tried them, I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be, but to be fair, I haven't a clue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igor00)
    Two quick questions:

1. What's the difference between Pendlay Rows and regular bent-over rows? Having read the Stronglifts article on them, I still can't quite figure out the difference.

I never see people do pendlay rows, always see them do bent over, and they aren't as effective because you're supposed to lift the weight dead off the ground. I think p rows are more effective, not sure why but. P rows your back is like parallel to the ground, whereas for bent over, your back is like 45 degrees.

2. If access to a squat rack is limited for some time, are Bulgarian Split Squats with dumbbells a good alternative? Having tried them, I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be, but to be fair, I haven't a clue.

Na....try front squatting,
    see bold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cowsforsale)
    see bold
    Pendlay Row's a more explosive lift, you can lift more and develop more brute power because you're lifting it from a dead stop everytime.

ReputationRep:
    If you add " The Best beginner routine" or something, i'm sure it'll get more hits therefore less threads.

ReputationRep:
    No I'm thinking of SS.
    Which page of which book does it say that? Or which forum post (with Mark Rippetoe's name at the top)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halp)
    Quick question to anyone else who is really skinny/has never weight-trained before; do you find the idea of going and lifting bare minimum weights next to a load of big bulky blokes as excrutiating as I do? :o:

I know we all have to start somewhere, but I just back down from doing it every single time. I feel like a stick insect compared to these hulks who could probably bench-press me with one hand.

Yes, yes I do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Halp)
    Quick question to anyone else who is really skinny/has never weight-trained before; do you find the idea of going and lifting bare minimum weights next to a load of big bulky blokes as excrutiating as I do? :o:

I know we all have to start somewhere, but I just back down from doing it every single time. I feel like a stick insect compared to these hulks who could probably bench-press me with one hand.
    Yeppp.

ReputationRep:
    i've also started this (last 2 weeks)

increased everything bar my military press

combined with boxing i wonder where i'll be in 6 months!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshleyC)
    Yes, yes I do.
    Don't worry about it. Nobody cares, honestly. Sometimes I laugh to myself if I see a skinny guy bicep curling for half an hour, but if I see a guy deadlifting 80kg, I don't care that he's not lifting much, I think it's good that he's started deadlifting.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    Don't worry about it. Nobody cares, honestly. Sometimes I laugh to myself if I see a skinny guy bicep curling for half an hour, but if I see a guy deadlifting 80kg, I don't care that he's not lifting much, I think it's good that he's started deadlifting.
    This.

We all have to start somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    We do know that. I guess it's just a case of uncomfortableness doing high weights around big people who can do a lot more. I mean the people in the gym i've talked to are really nice and willing to help and one said everyone starts somewhere and that he did himself all those years back!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

So I've bought some sqaut stands, an olympic 20kg bar, 150 kg worth of plates, a bench, some chalk, a weightlighting belt and some decent shoes (all the equipment came in at 250 quid- not bad reallly ) and of course the SS book.

So the SS book arrived today and there is so much information! I've read half of it and I'm finding it so difficult where to start at the moment? Can anyone offer any advice?

I've also started on a heavy 4000 calorie daily diet which will include a protein shake post workout and at least 3/4 gallon of milk a day if not a gallon (i'll do the milk for ~2 months if I can).
    My current stats are 6ft 9 stone 8 :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.