Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Rippetoe / Starting Strength queries - look here Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattx10)
    Hi guys

So I've bought some sqaut stands, an olympic 20kg bar, 150 kg worth of plates, a bench, some chalk, a weightlighting belt and some decent shoes (all the equipment came in at 250 quid- not bad reallly ) and of course the SS book.

So the SS book arrived today and there is so much information! I've read half of it and I'm finding it so difficult where to start at the moment? Can anyone offer any advice?

I've also started on a heavy 4000 calorie daily diet which will include a protein shake post workout and at least 3/4 gallon of milk a day if not a gallon (i'll do the milk for ~2 months if I can).
    My current stats are 6ft 9 stone 8 :/
    Well you usually start with the squat.

ReputationRep:
    Ooooooooooooof.

SS is a good read. read it and do it. It's wonderful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Well you usually start with the squat.
    Do I start with an empty bar? How often am I meant to add weight on to it?
    (Considering I am literally a skeleton at the moment)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    It explains all this in the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    It explains all this in the book.
    Yeah. I've read the instructions on how to squat properly but I seem to be having problems starting off :o:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Read the programming sections.

It's probably best not to read the book from start to finish immediately. The most important things you need to read are how to perform the squat, bench and deadlift, since they are done on the first workout, and also the programming since that actually tells you what to do.

Then read the press and power clean chapters, since they're in the next workout, two days later. Lastly, you can read the assistance work chapters, since it'll be a while before you need to use them exercises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Read the programming sections.

It's probably best not to read the book from start to finish immediately. The most important things you need to read are how to perform the squat, bench and deadlift, since they are done on the first workout, and also the programming since that actually tells you what to do.

Then read the press and power clean chapters, since they're in the next workout, two days later. Lastly, you can read the assistance work chapters, since it'll be a while before you need to use them exercises.
    Thank you

Do you think I'll put on some proper muscle and look better with SS+4000 cal diet+milk+protein shakes? I'm hoping to get into shape for my holiday in the summer!

What problems are you having with the squat?

When I first did it my back was killing because of bad form. Turns out my hips weren't that flexible so I ended up putting too much pressure on my back which was rounding.

This is a good article which tells you about some stretches to do:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-...mmon-problems/

Btw how did you manage to get your equipment so cheap??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Singh_2)
    What problems are you having with the squat?

When I first did it I my back was killing because of bad form. Turns out I my hips weren't that flexible so I ended up putting too much pressure on my back which was rounding.

This is a good article which tells you about some stretches to do:

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-...mmon-problems/

Btw how did you manage to get your equipment so cheap??
    Thank you Very helpful indeed!

I got the stuff from ebay It was second hand but well well worth it and in good condition :yep:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by mattx10)
    Thank you

Do you think I'll put on some proper muscle and look better with SS+4000 cal diet+milk+protein shakes? I'm hoping to get into shape for my holiday in the summer!
    There is no blanket amount of calories required to grow; it's a very individual thing. Too much extra and you'll be doing nothing but adding fat. Too little extra and you're short changing yourself.

Yes, you can put on some proper muscle between now and the summer if you do the programme exactly as written, bust your ass, and eat enough, but not too much.

A bit of fat gain is unavoidable, and maybe even a positive if you're really skinny. If you're eating enough to not only recover from but improve between the workouts, you're probably going to add some noticeable fat as well. It's best to just eat enough to ensure that you're gaining steadily and can easily recover rather than worry about a perfect macronutrient split.

ReputationRep:
    "Deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs" and "Bench presses, presses, and cleans (edit - and rows) can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout".

No when it says "per workout" does that mean when you do that certain Workout (Let's say Workout A) in 4 days time or every other one?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by kai4321)
    "Deadlifts can move up 15-20 lbs. per workout, squats 10-15 lbs" and "Bench presses, presses, and cleans (edit - and rows) can move up 5-10 lbs. per workout".

No when it says "per workout" does that mean when you do that certain Workout (Let's say Workout A) in 4 days time or every other one?
    Clearly explains that in the wiki and, shock horror, the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    Clearly explains that in the wiki and, shock horror, the book.
    I assumed it was the former but just wanted to make sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igor00)
    2. If access to a squat rack is limited for some time, are Bulgarian Split Squats with dumbbells a good alternative? Having tried them, I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't be, but to be fair, I haven't a clue.

Na....try front squatting,

(Original post by cowsforsale)
    see bold
    Would the fact that I might not be able to clean (is that the term?) the same amount of weight I can squat not cause a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Igor00)
    Would the fact that I might not be able to clean (is that the term?) the same amount of weight I can squat not cause a problem?
    oh sorry i misread your post when you typd squat rack, i thought you meant power cage :o:.

I guess that's a problem, what would you be doing bulgarian split squats with? Dumbbells? Because then you're going to need good grip too...

ReputationRep:
    I'd suggest watching some youtube videos of all the exercises (including Rippetoe himself teaching them) before starting the programme.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.