Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OKay, so I've been getting kind of ahead of myself when it comes to uni, but i love NTU so much so why not start a few months early. Basically I was looking at halls and the threads on here about them and what the hell is wrong with all of the other halls???

I don't get it, Gill and Sandby and the other 'popular' ones look g-d gamn awful!!! Why would anyone want to stay in them? Okay, they are deffintiely nearer to city that the others, but theyre also more expensive. On one of the threads about last year's halls people were saying that Gordon and Mill House were the 'rubbish' ones. Why? Because to me anyway they look so much nicer, a bit more character and Gordon House anyway has bigger rooms. And a hell of a lot cheaper!

So my question is to people who have stayed in the halls, any of them, why did you choose what you chose and why not the others????

Marissa xx

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you want really. A lot of people go for Sandby/Gill St because of location, but yeah they are very over priced!
    If you want halls with ensuites the best ones I think are Blenheim (10/15 min walk from city campus) and Simpsons (15/20 min walk).
    If you're not bothered about having your own bathroom then I've heard Gordon House have really big rooms but don't know much about the others.
    You can also look at private halls like Trinity Square, Victoria Halls etc which I think are cheaper than the university halls and still quite close to uni.

Personally, I chose Blenheim because I wanted an ensuite but didn't want to pay stupid amounts of money! At the time I didn't know about private halls though so they might be a better option.

ReputationRep:
    From what i hear, Gill and Sandby are popular because that's where it all "happens" Lol, I'm starting a TV set design course in 2010 and i need somewhere that has parking as i MUST take my car, so i can't go into Gill or anything.

I'm looking at Claredon court, anyone hear about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barley_cat)
    From what i hear, Gill and Sandby are popular because that's where it all "happens" Lol, I'm starting a TV set design course in 2010 and i need somewhere that has parking as i MUST take my car, so i can't go into Gill or anything.

I'm looking at Claredon court, anyone hear about that?
    To the above post, I was just browsing on these forums and I am currently a first year at NTU living at Claredon Court. Just thought I'd let you know what its like as I couldn't find much info about it when I fwas looking at it!

Most people seem to go for Sandy/Gill Street/Hampden because of location like the other post says but I have friends on my course currently in Sandy and Hampden and trust me when I say the rooms at Clarendon are MASSIVE in comparison! (& its cheaper may I add) Hampen rooms are cell-like (not very big at all!!)

Clarendon is about a 7 minute walk to uni, literally just down the road so not far at all. I know for Sandby you have to pay extra to do your washing but Clarendon flats all have a washing machine/dryer combo. Im really glad I chosen clarendon. It has a courtyard in the centre where you can park your car if you wish! If you chose the top floor on Clarendon Court Russel St where I live, theres a flat of 4 sharing, other that that all other flats have 7. Ive not looked around Gamble Street or Raleigh street but from looking at them in photos they are simular. The bathroom is shared though but on the floors with 7 sharing you have two bathrooms, quite spacious!

Clarendon Court is wicked though, and to say its the one of the last people chose to live in you will be pleasently surprised at how large the rooms are!! I'm defo glad I chose it!!

Sorry this is really long but hope it helped and good luck!!!

ReputationRep:
    Gill St is the nicest out of all of them, I was in Gill St in 2005/06 and its about 2mins walk to uni/ close to town/ nightclubs etc so you never have to pay for public transport/ taxis. I loved it an met amazing people there but im sure people who stayed in other accoms had just as much fun. Just avoid Norton Court, its in really rough area and has a Gun Shop outside!!!! Not nice - stay away.

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.