Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I graduate in six months time. My current plan is to move to be with my boyfriend, work for a year, then do a Masters course, then hopefully get a job.

However, I didn't take a gap year, and I've barely travelled at all these last few years. I'm thinking that I want to go crazy and take a proper holiday, before I have to worry about only having thirty days holiday leave and stuff.

We have some family friends in Aus., dotted about. We've some in Sydney, some in Byron Bay, and some just outside of Melbourne.
    I was thinking of taking three weeks to a month, probably going in October or November - flying into Brisbane then going down the East Coast somehow, stopping and spending time in Sydney and flying back to the UK from Melbourne.
    There's absolutely no practicality in this, I haven't thought about where I'm going to stay (I'm assuming youth hostels) or how I'm going to get from one place to another, so please feel free to say that this is a stupid plan.

I'm kind-of looking for anybody who has been to/has lived in Australia - is this far, far too ambitious? What's the best way of getting from one city to another without missing out - I could fly internally, but I'd quite like to see some sights too - I mean, are coaches or trains the best way? I've tried to have a look online, but I couldn't find much actual information - I kind-of just need something like nationalrail.com for Australia, haha.

Is there any chance of this actually happening? Is it totally overambitious? I don't want to miss loads of stuff out - but Australia is kind-of too big to do it in one go, I'm thinking?

Any help would be great!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to just stick to the East Coast and Melbourne then a month would be long enough, though maybe a bit rushed. There is a good network of Greyhound & Oz Experience buses, used a lot by backpackers, so it's easy to go from one place to another all the way along the coast and to other cities. If you want even more freedom, though, then hire a car You can get some very good deals on this, as there are several car-hire companies who do good deals for backpackers. What my BF and I did was buy a car on a guaranteed buyback deal from Travellers Autobarn (one of the car-hire companies), but I don't know if you'd want to do that if you're only there for a month - hiring would be better in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Im planning the same this easter. Ive got three weeks, starting and ending in sydney, and all ive booked is flights. you have far more of a plan than i do lol. Just research a bit before hand, and get a decent guidebook to take with you, which will give you contact details for hostels and travel companies.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.