Just got an offer.. need some help! plz Watch

Love game
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Good Day,

Well, as you can see I am a new member in this wonderful forum. I am a fresh graduate from Qatar University with a GPA of 3.00/4. I was doing English Literature as a minor and English Language as a major.

I have chosen to study Master of Science in Social Research Methods and Statistics at the univeristy of Manchester and I have just got an offer on the PG Diploma in Social Research Methods & Statistics due to my academic background.

I am really confused about this offer as I stated clearly in my personal statement that I want to study for the master not the diploma program.
Below you can find a part from the letter I have received:

Programme of Study: PG Diploma in Social Research Methods & Statistics
Mode of Study: Full Time
Entry: September 2010
JACS Code: L310
University of Manchester User ID

I am pleased to inform you that you have been made an offer on the above Programme. You have been made this offer due to your academic background.

The offer is unconditional

The length of the course will be 9 months full-time with effect from 20 September 2010.

The offer includes the possibility of being granted permission to upgrade to the Masters in June 2011, subject to passing all assessed work at the required Masters standard. If you are upgraded and wish to complete the Masters you will be required to complete and submit the dissertation by 2 September 2011. You will also be required to pay the difference in fees between the Postgraduate Diploma and Masters.

Can some one please explain this letter for me? What does this mean? Do I have to do first the Diploma for nine nonths and then complete my master for how long?

Waiting for your response
scottiex
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Basically it looks like you can't just hop straight onto the Masters course, you need to do the Diploma first. Maybe because you're going for a Science based masters when you have an English based major?
You need to complete the Diploma level and acheieve a certain pass mark in that to be passed on for the Masters programme.. Then I'm guessing complete the dissertation they've mentioned as well.
Has anywhere else allowed you to apply directly for the Masters course?
Love game
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
scottiex, thank you for your help and explanation. I am really upset and I cannot think well whether to accept the offer or refuse it because my place in the master program is not guaranteed as to achieve a certain pass mark

Actually, I have applied for 3 other universities which allowed me to apply directly for the master course but Manchester was my first choice.

what should I do in this case... any suggestions
scottiex
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd say just wait until you've heard from your other Universities and then go from there.
If you believe you're capable of doing the masters course you'll probably have good chances of getting onto the masters after the diploma.
But if Manchester is your first choice I'd definitely wait before rejecting, maybe try calling the university for more information about how many are passed along to the masters programme etc?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (181)
27.47%
No (478)
72.53%

Watched Threads