Turn on thread page Beta

BUNAC Summer Camp USA 2010 - chances of being places? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So... I've had my interview, paid for everything except the final £185 and am just in the process of getting my references...

But I'm just wondering what the chances are of being placed, especially in this crappy economic climate!

I have experience teaching kids, I was a choreographer for a kids dance group for about 5 years and still attend regular dance classes. But I know its not a 'hot' activity, and am now kinda worried I won't actually get a space.

Do most people get placed? Am I being waaay over paranoid about this all? lol! sorry, its just one of my referee's (my uni tutor) is taking my reference waay too seriously and doing actual research on what BUNAC is and if I suit it. Obviously I've told him about my experience but now I'm over-thinking things!

Reassurance anyone? :o:

p.s. that title is wrong! should be placed* oops!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The companies are taking on less people this year because camps are hiring less international staff, but if BUNAC do accept you it means they think they will be able to place you, so try not to worry

ReputationRep:
    Thanks trying my best not to!

ReputationRep:
    My bro got in with less experience then you for his first choice (special needs). I'm trying to get a contract direct from his old camp and apply as a "owner ranger" through BUNAC, saves money + more flexible.

ReputationRep:
    i think BUNAC has a pretty high success rate, i applied late last year (late feb) and was placed within a month. they are defo the cheapest way to get it done. did you tell BUNAC that you were applying direct? perhaps they could get in touch for you too. double your chances.

ReputationRep:
    yeah its definetely the cheapest... how was it Ellie? Where did you get placed?

ReputationRep:
    Whats the interview like?

ReputationRep:
    oh its nothing! it's just a chat with a BUNAC volunteer! I got a teacher, (interviewing on a Sunday crazy lady!) and she had done BUNAC summer camp for like 8 years in a row! We just spoke about uni etc.etc. why I wanted to do it... and then she asked me 2 scenario questions...

1. what would you do if you had a cabin of 8 girls, 7 of them knew each other and 1 didn't... I just said i'd do icebreaker games and try to involve her as best I could.

2. what would you do if you had a group of 7 year olds, and one of them had never been away from home and just cried and cried and cried... and i said a similiar sort of thing, distract them, involve them... hugs etc.

and at the end she asked me between me and the 2 other counsellors i'd be living with, what would be my 'role' i.e. loud, quiet, practical, joker... i just said i have loads of energy and that i'd be the 'motivator'... she laughed and wrote it down

its seriously all fine, the whole thing is for non-profit so just smile and be upbeat!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...982354&page=39

This thread is for camp chat -- BUNAC, CA, CCUSA etc all come into this thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by curlsandpearls)
    oh its nothing! it's just a chat with a BUNAC volunteer! I got a teacher, (interviewing on a Sunday crazy lady!) and she had done BUNAC summer camp for like 8 years in a row! We just spoke about uni etc.etc. why I wanted to do it... and then she asked me 2 scenario questions...

1. what would you do if you had a cabin of 8 girls, 7 of them knew each other and 1 didn't... I just said i'd do icebreaker games and try to involve her as best I could.

2. what would you do if you had a group of 7 year olds, and one of them had never been away from home and just cried and cried and cried... and i said a similiar sort of thing, distract them, involve them... hugs etc.

and at the end she asked me between me and the 2 other counsellors i'd be living with, what would be my 'role' i.e. loud, quiet, practical, joker... i just said i have loads of energy and that i'd be the 'motivator'... she laughed and wrote it down

its seriously all fine, the whole thing is for non-profit so just smile and be upbeat!
    Haha sounds fun! Thanks for the info, hopefully get interview booked soon

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.