Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been rejected by 2 universities for Medicine. I am not hopeful of the other 2 giving me interviews.

I now really want to study human sciences at oxford or UCL. I'm worried that when applying for 2011 they will see I am a medic reject, and not want me on the course because of that, thinking I am maybe not committed to the subject?

Am I right to think this, and what would the view be if I withdrew my UCAS form? Would that look better? I'm worried they will view Human Sciences as my second choice and not give me an interview, when I've been having second thoughts about Medicine ever since I submitted my application.

Any advice welcome. And any advice Human Sciences in general is also welcome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzypants)
    I've been rejected by 2 universities for Medicine. I am not hopeful of the other 2 giving me interviews.

I now really want to study human sciences at oxford or UCL. I'm worried that when applying for 2011 they will see I am a medic reject, and not want me on the course because of that, thinking I am maybe not committed to the subject?

Am I right to think this, and what would the view be if I withdrew my UCAS form? Would that look better? I'm worried they will view Human Sciences as my second choice and not give me an interview, when I've been having second thoughts about Medicine ever since I submitted my application.

I don't think they would know you were a "medic reject." You could just say you wanted to take a gap year? (Use it wisely btw).

ReputationRep:
    There's no way for them to know you're a medic reject.
    That said, why HumSci? It's a lot more than Human Biology obviously - I mean in one week you might be studying inheritance patterns at the same time as writing an essay about witchcraft. That's quite a big jump from medicine?

ReputationRep:

No they won't, -points at sig-.

ReputationRep:

Quite a few people who applied for Human Sciences this year were actually on a gap year, after being rejected for medicine, or in some cases, even accepted, but they preferred doing something else, so, I think not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    There's no way for them to know you're a medic reject.
    That said, why HumSci? It's a lot more than Human Biology obviously - I mean in one week you might be studying inheritance patterns at the same time as writing an essay about witchcraft. That's quite a big jump from medicine?
    Well for starters I don't have biology a level.. so i couldn't do human bio even if i wanted to at most universities anyway.

And.. well.. this time last year I wanted to study geography! In the past i ahve had serious issues with deciding what courses i've wnated to study.. but human sciences feels so right now. So I feel is kinda half way between the two in a way. You study bits of geog, anthropology, psychology, genetics, biochemistry, anatomy etc.

My teacher said, that on my ucas form next year, you have to declare your old ucas numb, so they will be able to see what i applied for last year.

ReputationRep:
    Well for starters I don't have biology a level.. so i couldn't do human bio even if i wanted to at most universities anyway.

And.. well.. this time last year I wanted to study geography! In the past i ahve had serious issues with deciding what courses i've wnated to study.. but human sciences feels so right now. So I feel is kinda half way between the two in a way. You study bits of geog, anthropology, psychology, genetics, biochemistry, anatomy etc.

My teacher said, that on my ucas form next year, you have to declare your old ucas numb, so they will be able to see what i applied for last year.
    I think you have to declare your last number so that they don't flag you for plagiarism if you recycle parts of your previous PS.

Anyway, it's probably got to do with the inner workings of the system and the unis don't get the details of your last year's app.

(Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    I think you have to declare your last number so that they don't flag you for plagiarism if you recycle parts of your previous PS.

Anyway, it's probably got to do with the inner workings of the system and the unis don't get the details of your last year's app.
    Is it possible to plagiarise yourself?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Yep. A friend in medical school had to sign a form to say she had given herself permission to use her own work unreferenced after she re-used a paragraph from a previous essay in an assessed piece of work. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turdburger)
    Well their algorithm would flag it and it would be a bigger hassle if said algorithm wouldn't automatically fix it by knowing, which ID to exclude from the check.

ReputationRep:
    It's a lot more than Human Biology obviously - I mean in one week you might be studying inheritance patterns at the same time as writing an essay about witchcraft. That's quite a big jump from medicine?
    Medicine is also "a lot more than Human Biology", and I think it's quite patronising to assume the OP hasn't looked at the course.

Loads of people choose medicine because of the prestige and massive salary, and academically would probably prefer other courses. It doesn't surprise me that if the OP doesn't fancy their chances at Medicine they'll pursue something quite unrelated; my sister is a medical graduate but says she would've loved to do English literature and German at university.

Being "right for the course" rather than "intelligent enough for the course" is more important for medical interviews than anything else. If you were clever enough to get an interview but think you'd be more interested in Human Sciences I'd say you've got a good chance. Go for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goose123)
    Medicine is also "a lot more than Human Biology", and I think it's quite patronising to assume the OP hasn't looked at the course.
    :rolleyes: True, but it also doesn't contain aspects of human geography, sociology, anthropology and so on as fairly major components. Interest in Medicine would hint at interest in topics such as physiology, disease and so on with some interest in working with people thrown in. Human Sciences at other universities often does amount to human biology with a few other things thrown in, and prior experience dictates that medic applicants who look at HumSci very very often do so without knowing much about what's involved in the course.

ReputationRep:
    Interest in Medicine would hint at interest in topics such as physiology, disease and so on with some interest in working with people thrown in.
    I disagree, interest in Medicine should hint at an interest in those things, but I'd say the breakdown of medical applicants is something like this:

50% are interested in the money
    20% are interested in the prestige
    20% are being forced into it by pushy parents (I am currently trying to save my little brother from ending up in this category)
    10% are interested in it for the right reasons

Apart from the sister I mentioned, the 4 medics I know would've done Maths, French, English or Music if they hadn't done/hadn't got into Medicine. I really don't think the people I know are that unusual.

Also, if the OP didn't pass the interview they're obviously not that interested in the medicine course anyway: their grades were obviously fine if they got an interview in the first place. I can understand how being rejected would also make you seriously consider what you're really interested in, and that may well be very different to medicine.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.