Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Offers at Credit Suisse, Rothschild and JP Morgan. All of them for IBD Summer Internship. How do I choose? Rank 1 - 3?

Both reputation/prestige and culture/"happiness at work" matters.

Pros and cons?

Career prospects?

Your own experiences?

/Dane

ReputationRep:
    JPM
    Rothschild
    CS

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally do:
    Rothschild
    JPM
    Cs

ReputationRep:
    wtf?

1. JPM
    2.CS
    3.Rothschild

ReputationRep:
    I feel so extremely confused to be honest. They have all been really nice and I enjoyed the recruitment process at all three firms. Deadline for CS is today, so I have to make up my mind today!

And you are all being differnet in your opinions as well... haha

Dane

ReputationRep:
    JPM is superior to CS as an investment bank, so I would get rid of CS straight away.
    Between JPM and Rothschild it's hard to say, as they are different animals.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i wouldn't put too much weight on what anyone around here thinks; this is really your decision to make. For what its worth, all three are great opportunities and you can be really successful at any one of those banks.

I'd say CS is possible a bit behind the other two in terms of rep/power but I've heard great things about its culture. Rothschild is an uber-"british" boutique and I imagine it'll feel quite different to JPM(although Cazenove used to have that feel to it too). You probably got a sense of that of from your contact with them.

IMO, JPM are rivalling GS for top IB across the board and I think it has the strongest brand/career prospects of the 3. If you're planning on staying in IB, then you need to think about where you'll fit in, be liked and promoted etc. That'll ultimately determine your long term prospects more than any differences between the banks.

ReputationRep:
    Even though it is my decision, it is always helpful with some input when you are struggling to make up your mind. They all got their pros and cons, and the culture seems great in all of them. I do see myself in IB for at least some years ahead, so this is important to me. Anyone with internship experience form either one of them?

Dane

ReputationRep:
    JPM
    CS
    Rothschild

ordinally.

ReputationRep:
    Roll a dice. Seriously.

Edit: I doubt if any of the above people have offers from any of the aforementioned banks, let alone have done internship in atleast one of them and can give you a real perspective. I've done an internship in M&A at another bank, and can tell you that brand name and deal flow are part of the same poisoned chalise.

ReputationRep:
    I can tell what people who interned/worked told me.

JPM - Most prestigious, but work environment is terrible.
    CS - Very friendly environment, all people I know are very happy to work/have interned there.
    Rotschild - Dunno

ReputationRep:
    JPM
    Roths
    CS

ReputationRep:
    In my opinion:

JPM
    CS
    Rothschild

ReputationRep:
    Hi CopenhagenCalling – congratulations with your offers, really impressive. I would definitely go for JPM I assume that CBS is your current school – which degree programme are you in (FIR, AEF, FSM)?

ReputationRep:
    I'm actally a 2nd year undergrad at Warwick. Thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    So you're not actually from Copenhagen?

ReputationRep:
    Close to Cph.

ReputationRep:
    Some people working in the industry that I've been talking to claims that as an IB, CS is as good as JPM.

What I also liked with CS was that 4-5 people from CS called me up in the following days to congratulate me.

Most people tend to suggest JPM though?

ReputationRep:
    i've known 3 people from my uni who interned at rothschild ibd and none of them got offers (later placed into top BBs). I think their conversion rate is quite bad, careful with that!

ReputationRep:
    Alot of firms do the whole calling thing to congratulate. My offer was given by the hiring manager and then HR called me. I guess it's a method to attract you in.

My choice would be:

JPM - good career prospects, friendly and the mobility is actually quite good. As they are a larger firm than CS, I'd be inclined to go there as I know alot of people who have moved around and are very successful there. Their training is also fab by the way. Very supportive and the bonuses are better there! (Although you shouldn't base it on salary). I think you will regret it if you don't go for JPM. Definitely my choice! (They were supposed to move to Canary Wharf before the 50% tax thing but if they do, they will be based right next to CS!!!)
    CS - a good company to work for (a very lovely gym lol) but it's really not all that. Does have prestige but I don't know. Hours are very long there. Alot of my friends work there leave 7.00pm earliest on a good day. The average time they leave is 9pm-10pm and two in particular leave at 2am. The ones at JPM are normally out by 6.00-6.30pm!!! Think it does lack the work/life balance.
    Rothschild - I'm making them third but only because I actually don't know anything about them.

All banks will make you work hard if you see yourself there a couple of years and progressing...

What role are you applying for and in which division? That can help you in decide... Eg. CS's technology dep is better than JPM's but JPMs IBD is better than CS. I think you need to decide what you feel is most important for you in terms of criteria and see which bank offers that to you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.