Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My brothers practical test will be this friday, and me in 3 weeks time, so i have few questions.

If the light is red do I need to use my hand brake? (I normally wait with foot brake applied)
    If am waiting up the hill, and its my turn to start the car and go , again do I need to use hand brake or foot brake?
    How accurate my parking must be?
    How do I park? (what i mean is: reverse, front and the other one, the hard one )?

Thank You in Advance

ReputationRep:
    1. Only if you have to wait a wee while
    2. Handbrake for hill start
    3. Fairly, make sure your not too far away from the kerb.
    4. Surely depends on the situation? If there's enough space front park. He will say when he wants you to do a reverse park manouvere.

ReputationRep:
    You should use your handbrake for both hill start and at lights. I think you can adjust your parking once or twice and it should be accurate i.e. in the space, without being on the curb/over the line etc.

You park how ever you are told to. Sometimes it'll be bay park, sometimes parallel, or you'll do three point turn or reverse round a corner.

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure your ready?

(Original post by Kolacz)
    My brothers practical test will be this friday, and me in 3 weeks time, so i have few questions.

If the light is red do I need to use my hand brake? (I normally wait with foot brake applied)
    If am waiting up the hill, and its my turn to start the car and go , again do I need to use hand brake or foot brake?
    How accurate my parking must be?
    How do I park? (what i mean is: reverse, front and the other one, the hard one )?

Thank You in Advance
    If it's a red light where your going to be their for more than 10 seconds then yes put the handbrake on...
    On a hill it's generally needed if you come to a stand still, if you roll back it's a fail...
    In the white lines is all is needed for parking i think but you can't cut through other bays...
    Surely if you're at test standard you know this?!?:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lazybum)
    Are you sure your ready?
    Pretty much mate, am good driver but my dad is my teacher and we aint english, we dont know how they want me to drive in England

P.S. Am not use to hand brake wait on lights, are you sure I need to do it?
    Two more questions, if i accelerate too much on hill start e.g. 3000-3500 revs, is this ok?
    And the lights again, can I wait in first gear and clutch applied or I need to be on neutral?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much mate, am good driver but my dad is my teacher and we aint english, we dont know how they want me to drive in England

P.S. Am not use to hand brake wait on lights, are you sure I need to do it?
    One more question, on the lights again can I wait in first gear and clutch applied or I need to be on neutral?
    nope you don't have to use handbrake, and yeh go into first gear as your coming to a halt.

ReputationRep:
    on a hill start you should put your handbrake on because it will roll, and just put on a little gas when you take your foot off brake to reduce chances of stalling.

ReputationRep:
    you don't have to use your handbrake at all oterwise for say traffic lights. Maybe do it once or summat to show you know how to use it.

ReputationRep:
    on a hill start you should put your handbrake on because it will roll, and just put on a little gas when you take your foot off brake to reduce chances of stalling.
    I used to stay on foot brake and did not roll back, but i will use hand brake now, I want to pass

ReputationRep:
    You should use the hand brake at lights so that your brake lights dont dazzle the driver behind.

EDIT: also do you know anything about manouvers? you will be asked to do 2 of the following

reverse parralel park
    reverse bay park
    reverse round a corner
    3 point turn

and on top of two of those you may be asked to do an emergency stop.
    they allways pull you over first and say "you see that car, i want to to pull up along side it and reverse into the parking space behind it in the length of two cars keeping complete controll of the car" etc or whatever the manouver is

ReputationRep:
    nope you don't have to use handbrake, and yeh go into first gear as your coming to a halt.
    You're supposed to put your handbrake on and go into neutral when you're stopped at lights. You don't wait for the lights to change whilst in gear. You should go into gear when the slights change to amber > green.

You put your hand brake on 1) so that if cars crash into the back of you you won't be rolled into oncoming traffic and 2) so you don't dazzle drivers with your brake lights like Callipygian said.

And OP if you want to learn how to drive 'english' then get proper lessons from a qualified instuctor -at least one. There are too many people out there who don't seem to be able to drive correctly, i.e. even just doing 'mirror signal maneuver' seems to be lost on people these days.

ReputationRep:
    So how do you really know whether you're a good driver or not? You really need an approved driving instructor.

ReputationRep:
    seriously im sure you dont have to go into neutral at traffic lights. Yes, its safe to do so, but you won't get any minors for doing so. When your brother comes back he should tell you that you don't need to, if he hasnt already

(Original post by squeak)
    You're supposed to put your handbrake on and go into neutral when you're stopped at lights. You don't wait for the lights to change whilst in gear. You should go into gear when the slights change to amber > green.

You put your hand brake on 1) so that if cars crash into the back of you you won't be rolled into oncoming traffic and 2) so you don't dazzle drivers with your brake lights like Callipygian said.

And OP if you want to learn how to drive 'english' then get proper lessons from a qualified instuctor -at least one. There are too many people out there who don't seem to be able to drive correctly, i.e. even just doing 'mirror signal maneuver' seems to be lost on people these days.
    I never went into neutral at lights and that wasn't an issue on my test. And 90% of drivers seem to use there brake at traffic lights. If you use foot brake your using all 4 brakes so if someone goes into the back you have better grip.

ReputationRep:
    I agree as well about neutral, I have never gone into neutral at traffic lights (now or even when I was learning), only when parked.

Also you can use the handbrake at junctions where you will have to wait a long time or traffic lights, but at the junction use the clutch first if it is on a hill to see whats coming then you wont need to use the handbrake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    I never went into neutral at lights and that wasn't an issue on my test. And 90% of drivers seem to use there brake at traffic lights. If you use foot brake your using all 4 brakes so if someone goes into the back you have better grip.

Fair enough about going into neutral, but I was taught to do it that way, and so was everyone I knew so sorry about that. But I think it makes you less tense/I'm sure it's better for your clutch.

Oh and I doubt people would keep their foot firmly on a brake pedal if someone ploughed into them, and just because 90% of people do it, doesn't make it right...

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough about going into neutral, but I was taught to do it that way, and so was everyone I knew so sorry about that. But I think it makes you less tense/I'm sure it's better for your clutch.

Oh and I doubt people would keep their foot firmly on a brake pedal if someone ploughed into them, and just because 90% of people do it, doesn't make it right...
    It causes delays when people aren't in gear and aren't holding the handbrake at traffic lights as they can't set off quickly, especially during rush hour traffic.

You are right about the footbrake, you should only use it if you are stopped for a very short period of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJN)
    It causes delays when people aren't in gear and aren't holding the handbrake at traffic lights as they can't set off quickly, especially during rush hour traffic.

You are right about the footbrake, you should only use it if you are stopped for a very short period of time.
    Delays because people aren't in gear? Yeah it's annoying if people don't set off quickly but I'd say it's more the specific person being slow at changing gears that is the problem...There are plenty of people who set off as soon as the light's amber but they just don't rev it up and get the car going which is frustrating. I go into gear as the lights change to amber and I always manage to set off quickly. Just saying delays aren't necessarily caused by people changing gear because it takes like a second to do so.

ReputationRep:
    Delays because people aren't in gear? Yeah it's annoying if people don't set off quickly but I'd say it's more the specific person being slow at changing gears that is the problem...There are plenty of people who set off as soon as the light's amber but they just don't rev it up and get the car going which is frustrating. I go into gear as the lights change to amber and I always manage to set off quickly. Just saying delays aren't necessarily caused by people changing gear because it takes like a second to do so.
    You should go on amber, changing to gear when they turn to amber and green causes a delay and it is unnecessary to change out of gear.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.