Nauseous whenever I hop on the train, and I don't know why! Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Ok, so every morning I get on one of the underground trains on my way to college. However, ever since a few months ago I have been having these feelings of nausea. Almost as soon as the train starts moving, I start shaking, I start to sweat, I suddenly feel really warm. Then sounds become blurred and I get very dizzy. There is also an urging need to vomit. I feel as if I'm going to collapse but during rush hour there is no where to sit. Sometimes it gets so bad I have to get off at the nearest stop mid-journey just to cool down and collect myself and then I end up being late for college.

If I sit down then of course I'm fine. Or when I am travelling back the same way, even If I stand I am ok. It is just that particular time on my way to college that I get this horrible sensation.

Does anyone have a similar experience/any advice that my help?
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It sounds like you are having an anxiety attack either related to college/being late for college perhaps?
The Referee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is it as busy when you're coming home? If not, you could be reacting to the number of people around you, the tube being stuffy and airless etc with no way for you escape. Almost like a type of claustrophobia/anxiety attack.

It there any way you could set off earlier and that way avoid being late? It may also be worth talking to your GP about it.
friendsfanatic88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Maybe it's motion/travel sickness? You can get tablets for it at a chemists... even if it's not motion/travel sickness, they're great for those kind of symptoms
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mollymustard)
It sounds like you are having an anxiety attack either related to college/being late for college perhaps?
I'm quite fine about being late the odd day or two. It doesn't bother me particularly.
Jennie1987
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Referee)
Is it as busy when you're coming home? If not, you could be reacting to the number of people around you, the tube being stuffy and airless etc with no way for you escape. Almost like a type of claustrophobia/anxiety attack.

It there any way you could set off earlier and that way avoid being late? It may also be worth talking to your GP about it.
I agree you should talk to your gp.

And agree with mollymustard - it sounds like youve started having panic attacks, probably now worse that you 'know' youll feel so bad if youre not sitting. I get these before work/uni cos of the fear of being late for either one, could it be this? Even things you dont think are that stress enducing can suddenly start making you panic.

EDIT: just seen your latest post, it could be a mix of anxiety, fearing these symptoms and travel sickness? if it is anxiety/panic attacks there are great things your gp can offer you.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by The Referee)

No it is not as busy when going home. It's weird because this has not always happened to me. For years I've been able to get on a busy tube without a hitch, but this has been going on since March.

I never thought of it as an anxiety attack before but anything is a possibility.
QuantBrain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
This is exactly what happens to me but it hasn't happened in a while. I have panic disorder.

Set off a bit early so if you need to get off a while and take deep slow breathes of fresh air. And avoid trains that are too packed up, maybe set off much early so you can sit down and listen to some music.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm quite fine about being late the odd day or two. It doesn't bother me particularly.
The fact you only get it on your journey TO college does make it more likely to be something to do with anxiety over something espeically as it started suddenly in March.
Now you know its going to happen, it probably makes you more nervous.
You could probably try some breathing techniques or travel with a friend etc if you think it might help.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by mollymustard)
The fact you only get it on your journey TO college does make it more likely to be something to do with anxiety over something espeically as it started suddenly in March.
Now you know its going to happen, it probably makes you more nervous.
You could probably try some breathing techniques or travel with a friend etc if you think it might help.
Haha I've tried taking deep breaths and going 'Calm! Don't faint...not here...not now!' :p: But this has proven ineffective.

If I can't get off the train, I would just kneel down wherever I'm standing and keep my head down (which brings some very curious looks from fellow commuters :p: )
Jennie1987
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Haha I've tried taking deep breaths and going 'Calm! Don't faint...not here...not now!' :p: But this has proven ineffective.

If I can't get off the train, I would just kneel down wherever I'm standing and keep my head down (which brings some very curious looks from fellow commuters :p: )
There are better ways from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - CBT - Ive posted some before, Ill find them..

Several techniques Here
aper_son
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok, so every morning I get on one of the underground trains on my way to college. However, ever since a few months ago I have been having these feelings of nausea. Almost as soon as the train starts moving, I start shaking, I start to sweat, I suddenly feel really warm. Then sounds become blurred and I get very dizzy. There is also an urging need to vomit. I feel as if I'm going to collapse but during rush hour there is no where to sit. Sometimes it gets so bad I have to get off at the nearest stop mid-journey just to cool down and collect myself and then I end up being late for college.

If I sit down then of course I'm fine. Or when I am travelling back the same way, even If I stand I am ok. It is just that particular time on my way to college that I get this horrible sensation.

Does anyone have a similar experience/any advice that my help?
I sometimes have a similar experience, although mine is much less servere. I find water helps - have you tried taking a bottle of water with you and taking a drink whenever you feel ill? I don't use the tube often, but when I do I find this really helps.

Also, do you eat Breakfast? If you don't then perhaps it'd be an idea to start, give you more energy in the mornings.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Jennie1987)
There are better ways from Cognitive Behavioural Therapy - CBT - Ive posted some before, Ill find them..

Several techniques Here
Thanks!
Jennie1987
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Thanks!
Ah ha! Ive discovered your secret identity, ps youre welcome.
Anonymous #1
Ah ha! Ive discovered your secret identity, ps youre welcome.
Aha! I always forget to tick the button. :redface:
Jennie1987
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Aha! I always forget to tick the button. :redface:
So do you then edit?
Anonymous #1
So do you then edit?
Yep. :yep:
Jennie1987
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yep. :yep:
Lol an elaborate process when your username gets put out there anyway. But hope the techniques help.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (9)
37.5%
No (15)
62.5%

Watched Threads