Turn on thread page Beta

Would it be weird if I went on holiday on my own? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm talking, a long weekend away, Norfolk or somewhere, just to get away for a bit.

I think going with other people would defeat the object of me "escaping from everything", so I think the plan could well be to go on my own.

Anyone done this? Would it make me a complete freak?

SuperSam_Fantastiche

I do think it's a bit weird, to say the least. But if you want to do it then it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    If it makes you happy, and it's what you want to do, then go for it You don't even have to let anyone know where you are, or that you are going alone. Would you get lonely though on your own for a weekend? I suppose you could come home early though, if you wanted. Another option is going with a close friend/relative. That way, it won't be too overcrowed still, and your still getting away, but you can also talk over stuff with someone.

ReputationRep:
    I've been on holiday alone a couple of times, had a great time. You might get one or two people thinking you're a bit odd but **** em, it's your holiday.

ReputationRep:
    Stay at a hostel if you're gunna do that. Least you'll get to meet some new ppl!

ReputationRep:
    I can actually see where you're coming from. It always confuses me when people who go on holiday to "get away from it all" come back with loads of new friends. When I go on holiday I avoid people my own age at all costs :P
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you want to do it, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    I'm talking, a long weekend away, Norfolk or somewhere, just to get away for a bit.

I think going with other people would defeat the object of me "escaping from everything", so I think the plan could well be to go on my own.

Anyone done this? Would it make me a complete freak?

SuperSam_Fantastiche
    yes its very weird. can I come with?

I never hung out with a cool lesbian before...

ReputationRep:
    Not at all!

I can completely see where you're coming from with it sounding a bit weird, but if it's just a weekend away somewhere, I see no problem at all. I couldn't imagine going on a 2-week Caribbean holiday on my own though.

I only a few days ago got back from spending 4 days in Snowdonia on my own getting some quality mountain days in for my log book. Everybody seemed to still have exams and the people back home didn't want to go Winter mountaineering, so I went alone. It didn't feel weird at all, and it was definitely an awesome way to get away from it all, relax , take i some good sights and get the log book going. After that I went for my First Aid assessment alone, although I did meet a few people there of course. All definitely good fun.

I say go for it

Although, personally, I don't think I'd too much enjoy a hotel break on my own, so maybe look into like an aim or an objective, even if it's just taking photos, so you feel like you're getting something else out of it and using the hotel/whatever as a bunkhouse for the night

ReputationRep:
    It actually sounds like a good idea, I'd do it.

My friend went travelling the world on her own for 8 months, so a couple of days in Norfolk doesn't sound too bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the idea is that I get away from everything. I've spent a lot of time around my family recently (we lost Nan on the 12th) and my close friends have all been fantastic, but I need some time to myself now. I'll take my phone in case of emergencies or if I get lonely.

I wouldn't want to go to a hostel, I'd probably end up speaking to people and I don't want to speak to anyone :p:

ReputationRep:
    Go to the seaside - great place for being alone. Especially if the weather's bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    Go to the seaside - great place for being alone. Especially if the weather's bad.
    That's actually an awesome idea.
    Any suggestions for nice quiet seaside destinations?

ReputationRep:
    Wells next the sea in Norfolk is quiet and beutiful...

ReputationRep:

I've just realised I've never actually been to the seaside in England...

ReputationRep:
    I've gone away on holidays on my own several times. Most of them have been abroad.

I don't think it's weird at all, sometimes you need some time for yourself to break out of your routine and see things differently.

I love going away with my mates, it's always heaps of fun, but going away on my own is much needed when I feel I need some space to breathe.

Go for it!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2010
Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.