Turn on thread page Beta

Which charity shall I give to? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Basically, I've realised it's pretty ridiculous I'm not giving anything at all to charity. I'm a student but I'm not poor to the extent that I can't afford a minor monthly donation (spending £4.50 on not very much at Sainsburys local just now brought this into perspective)

I imagine I'd look at something like 5-10 pounds a month which I know isn't great but it's a start and at least better than what I'm donating at the moment (zilch)

My one condition is no animal charities, for reasons not relevant to this thread. I'd appreciate it if this didn't spark some random debate and it's just accepted as my own personal condition.

Similarly, this is in no way a debate about whether to give to charity, and I'm not expressing any view on whether or not I think anyone else should give to charity. It's just for those who know of a good charity they think I should donate to, that's it. So please no tangents. Thanks

I think that's it, I'll be grateful for any suggestions.

ReputationRep:
    Are there any causes close to you or your family? What interests you in life, could your passions relate to charitble causes at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Double Agent)
    Are there any causes close to you or your family? What interests you in life, could your passions relate to charitble causes at all?
    I can't really think of anything specific, hence I'm uncertain which charity to go for. I've only ever lost one person close to me, and that was my grandmother who died of old age more than anything. I guess I started the thread to see if there was anything that sparked some sort of deep approval of what a charity is doing.

I was thinking of something that would perhaps do the most good for my money (maybe something related to children in the third world?) but not sure if that's a bit simplistic.

ReputationRep:
    What about a smaller charity?
    http://www.charitychoice.co.uk/ has a search option so you can pick what you feel is best for you.

ReputationRep:
    Domestic violence charities.

One donkey charity in the UK takes more in donations than all the domestic violence charities put together according to research a group at my university did last year.

ReputationRep:
    I would narrow it down by who you do/don't want to give to.
    Animals are obviously off your list, what about children, the elderly, men, women, charities about a specific illness like cancer or lung disease, mental health charities, local, national or third world.
    Once you've narrowed it down a bit look at the charities that help those people and see how your money is spent.

ReputationRep:
    Male homeless shelters I would presume are underfunded

ReputationRep:
    I give to cancer research UK, simply because I have lost two close family members to cancer, and my dad suffered with skin cancer but fortunetly it wasn't overly serious (well as non-serious as cancer can be i suppose) and he was fine for a number of years until he had another minor scare that was also dealt with quickly.

As it's something that's effected my life in quite a strong way I feel that's where I want my money to go. However there's loads of good charities out there. Perhaps look at some charities websites? See which ones you like the sound of, what area they work in, how they approach their work. It may also be an idea to look at more local charities, your money will have a much bigger impact upon those smaller charities than larger nationwide ones, however small the donation is.

ReputationRep:
    How about Animal Aid? That'd be good I think.

ReputationRep:
    Air ambulances are a good one. They are all paid for by donations and save many many lives a year. Look for your nearest one, but if your from Leeds Yorkshire air ambulance the only service to run 2 copters, and they also cover one of the largest areas of any AA charity. It costs them £7200 a day to keep flying;

http://www.yorkshireairambulance.org.uk/

EDIT; if you dont know which ones is nearest, look here;

http://www.airambulanceassociation.c..._ambulance.php

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, some good advice so far

ReputationRep:
    Oopos, sorry

Everyman or Orchid.

http://everyman-campaign.org/ http://www.orchid-cancer.org.uk/

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Cancer research/ your local Air Ambulance are great ones, as they could both (but most hopefully not!) affect you/ your family.

I know that's a little bit of a selfish perspective to take on charity giving, but it's the stance I'd take.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Cancer research/ your local Air Ambulance are great ones, as they could both (but most hopefully not!) affect you/ your family.

I know that's a little bit of a selfish perspective to take on charity giving, but it's the stance I'd take.

:getmecoat:
    I'm slightly torn on the local v international charity thing. I might consider giving half of whatever I can pay to a local one, and then the other half to some international third world charity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by touchofclass)
    I'm slightly torn on the local v international charity thing. I might consider giving half of whatever I can pay to a local one, and then the other half to some international third world charity
    Many charities do local work and international work, e.g. you can give to the local branch of help the aged and see the results of the work they're doing in your local area or give to their international appeals to help older people living in the third world.

ReputationRep:
    Amnesty International. I can't think of a better cause than helping secure human rights for people who are denied them.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd go for a very useful organisation which gets little or no government funding

Any sort of hospice (they tend to be great organisations)
    The RNLI especially if you live by the coast
    Air ambulance charities.

Thats what I'd suggest =)

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do; NEVER give anything to The Salvation Army, they're homophobic.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.